DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy 4K video - sample file included

Mavic_Ward

Reactions
It might be the older machines that I have, but I can't be sure. All of the computers I've used to playback my 4K videos just can't do it. The playback is terribly choppy. I'm not sure if it's the video file or the computers I've tried to use.

Could someone with a fast computer please download this 872MB file and see if it plays ok for you?
I've tried: VLC, MKPlayer, 5K Player, Windows Media Player, and Adobe Premier Elements 13.

Thank you.

The file is located on my Dropbox. If you don't have Dropbox, just click the link at the very bottom of the next screen to download the video. Click "No thanks, continue to view" then in the upper right-hand corner of the screen click "Download" then "Direct Download"

Dropbox - DJI_0010.MP4

@Mavic_Ward: I tried playing your video right from the dropbox link and it played smoothly on our MacPro. And, I have not known the dropbox player to be the best player out there - but it did play back smoothly for us.

No chop here either, are you flying with the dome on?

Downloaded the file and it runs perfectly smoothly on an 2015 iMac 3.3Ghz and 32Gb of RAM. Tried it in Quicktime and DVX Player - perfect each time. Tried running it from the dropbox and it was choppy. Hope this helps.

I ran it on the DB player and it looked a bit choppy so I downloaded it. It still doesn't look right heading into the sun but maybe that is a contributing factor... shoot some more video but face the camera away from the sun and see if it improves.

Not that you need another confirmation but it's smooth as can be when I play it too. What are your computer specs?

I downloaded your clip and was essentially unable to play the video. Stuttering and chunks of time where no image update is seen.

On an older Macbook Air, 1.5GB graphics, 4GM mem, 1.3Ghz i5 proc. I know from past experience 4k will not run on this laptop.

NO choppiness on my pc either. It does appear to be not tweaked very well on the setting side(camera settings).

Btw, my laptop is brand new.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

My system is a HP HPE-170f. It has an Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz. I have 15GB of system RAM. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 which I think has 1.8GB of RAM. My system is running on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is definitely an older machine. 4 years old I think. Maybe more.

And to answer another question up above, no, I'm not flying with the clear dome on.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

My system is a HP HPE-170f. It has an Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz. I have 15GB of system RAM. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 which I think has 1.8GB of RAM. My system is running on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is definitely an older machine. 4 years old I think. Maybe more.

And to answer another question up above, no, I'm not flying with the clear dome on.

You should not have any trouble with the mentioned setup.

I agree with flyNfrank, you shouldn't have any issues with that hardware. I don't have any experience with most of the video players you mentioned, but with Windows Media Player are you sure you have the proper codecs installed? I had an issue with mine which wouldn't let me play any 2.7k or 4k videos without it.

I see there is an update available for my NVIDIA drivers. I'll try updating and see what happens.

I'll also check in on the codec issue. Does anyone offhand know the proper codecs for the Mavic 4K video?

It has an Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67GHz. I have 15GB of system RAM. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 which I think has 1.8GB of RAM

Your graphics card will be of no help since 4K hardware decoding only came in the GTX5xx series. So that means you fall back to software, which usually can only use one core, and a single 2.6GHz core won't do it. My previous PC was an i7-970 at 3.2GHz and it was still not enough without overclocking.

Won't help to get over the deception, but your file plays great on my Retina Macbook... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: KPruitt
So I am the only person who see's what appears to be minor sun banding? It is not extremely noticeable but it's there. Most noticeable as it approaches the evergreen trees in the beginning of the flight.

So I am the only person who see's what appears to be minor sun banding? It is not extremely noticeable but it's there. Most noticeable as it approaches the evergreen trees in the beginning of the flight.

I should have mentioned it earlier, but I don't think it has anything to do with the sun banding. I took a number of videos that day (my first day of flying) and I can't play any of them. I just chose that one because it was the smallest. I can upload another if you'd like.

My 3 year old Dell laptop played the video, but it was a little choppy at times.

My 1 year old iPad Air also played it, but it also showed the video to be a little choppy in a couple of places.

For what it's worth, I just tried playing some of these 4K sample videos on my new machine at work and they played fine. Even in the default movie viewer. So that would lead me to believe that the video files themselves are just fine - just as many of you mentioned. It's my older equipment that won't play it smoothly.

Here are those specs:
HP ENVY 750se Desktop PC
Product number: N3G97AV#ABA
•24GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB+2x4GB) RAM
•2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
•6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
•6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61