DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy video when gimbal pointed straight down

Dronenewbie8

Reactions
This is for the M2Pro. Every time I shoot video with the gimbal pointing straight down the video has a noticeable choppiness to it, it’s never smooth. I can see this in my screen while I’m recording and, of course, it’s in the video. The drone is flying in a straight line and this happens whether I shoot in a simple 2-point Waypoints mode or if I shoot in manual control (the speed remains exactly the same – and isn’t excessive - and there is no stick movement). I don’t have this issue when shooting with the gimbal in other positions, it only happens when the gimbal is pointed straight down. Can anyone suggest an explanation why this is happening? I did a search in this forum but didn’t see any similar posts.

I think its due to the fact that the terrain is moving the fastest when the gimbal points straight down, and then the frame rate isn't high enough to produce smooth video.

Defo no expert here, but I'd try increasing the frame rate if possible and see if that makes a difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I think its due to the fact that the terrain is moving the fastest when the gimbal points straight down, and then the frame rate isn't high enough to produce smooth video.

Defo no expert here, but I'd try increasing the frame rate if possible and see if that makes a difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

That's a good suggestion, it makes sense and I'll definitely give that a try. Appreciate your reply.

Just a thought. The M2s have a three axis gimbal. If the camera is pointing straight down, has this not basically resulted in the elimination of one axis since it can not adjust further down to smooth out the video? Is it choppy if the camera is pointed ‘mostly’ down but not straight down. Give it a try and see if the choppiness goes away.

I was also wonder if pointing straight down if the gimbal is hitting against part of the drone?
Maybe a gimbal calibration would help?

I was also wonder if pointing straight down if the gimbal is hitting against part of the drone?
Maybe a gimbal calibration would help?
I was also wondering if the gimbal was touching the body and picking up vibrations. The choppiness also occurs when I tilted it up a bit so I don't think touching the body is the problem. I contacted DJI about this and they're currently looking into it, haven't heard from them yet.

My experience also. Wondering about the cable integrity to the camera... might only show up at extreme angle.
Maybe it does have something to do with the cable(?). The choppiness also occurs when I tilted it up the gimbal just a slight bit; this choppiness doesn't occur when I'm shooting at other gimbal angles, only down. I contacted DJI about this and they're currently looking into it, haven't heard from them yet.

Personally think it’s related to this.
I found this with my M1P when shooting early videos, before I got some good ND filters.
Getting the motion blur with correct shutter speed about 2x frame rate might help.

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried increasing the frame rate but had the same issue. Apparently the problem is that my PC isn't powerful enough. Thanks for your time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851