DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CIFT?

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Anyone having problems with ‘Can I Fly There ?’

On the weekend wanted to check if ok to fly at Kingscliff NSW, app said no internet connection, even though I had 4G.
Tried back at brothers place on wifi later, same deal.

Tonight tried again, no matter where I drop pin, it says I can fly here.
An example . . .

73a85580657275f15a0d8f4503a668bb.jpg

Certainly something wrong. I have wifi to Ethernet home network and same results as you. Just dropped a pin under 5 km from RAAF Sale base which has a much wider exclusion zone due to Roulettes being based there and can usually see very wide exclusion circle. Nothing showing and ditto for most landing sites around Melbourne.

Must however be reasonably up to date as current Forest Fire Management Victoria planned burns exclusion zones are shown across Victoria

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Must however be reasonably up to date as current Forest Fire Management Victoria planned burns exclusion zones are shown across Victoria

Thanks for the reply and feedback Prado man.

Zooming out and dropping pins across Oz indeed fire / emergency updates are functional for me also.

Shame the most prominent safety tool CASA supplies for us to fly is probably flawed at the moment.

I’ll try and find somewhere online to report it.

All working again by the looks, NFZs and weather forecast.
Had a quick look around the country and where I am in SE QLD at the moment.

A local minor hospital heli zone that has always previously been shown is no longer marked on the updated app.

Also checking Sydney Harbour, it appears one can now fly east of the bridge and around the opera house ?
I am almost 100% sure the whole harbour was a NFZ previously, except for a couple of small exclusions out near the heads.

But this is what’s shown now, the basic “Ok to fly here, but if you become aware of manned flights” etc.

13541a3733eacab5657859563f19e54d.jpg

So there could be some mistakes, or some major changes in previously off limits areas.

Well another little file update today when opening my CIFT app.
My heliport warning for the local hospital is back, and I can no longer fly at Brisbane airport or over Sydney opera house.

83f52cdc4629147f2785cc423855f448.jpg

All seems normal again with the app and zone warnings.

im late to the party, but just checked android and IOS for YBBN and all seems to be ok

The best way to check if you can fly there is to try and take off and if you can; You can fly there.

If your within 5.5km of a Airport, your Mavic wont take off, it will say NFZ zone won't it.
What made you think you could take off basiclly next to an Airport. Even if you could that's very dangerous
to Civilian Aircraft

The best way to check if you can fly there is to try and take off and if you can; You can fly there.

If your within 5.5km of a Airport, your Mavic wont take off, it will say NFZ zone won't it.
What made you think you could take off basiclly next to an Airport. Even if you could that's very dangerous
to Civilian Aircraft

See post previously showing example of the app giving incorrect info . . . well, it was no info at all the other day.
That airport thing was only used as an example that CIFT was ‘broken’ at that time.

You can certainly take off within 5.5km of airports, I’ve tested it taking off at a mates place very near Adelaide airport (2km or so away, and a definite NFZ) and going 6’ up before landing again immediately.
Went down the the western boundary fence and yep, there it would not allow start up.

Just had to know what DJI geofencing was like and how good it worked.
It may even have improved in that regard to my initial testing a good year ago.

to Civilian Aircraft
Also not true for all examples. It is tiring reading the posts of people that think they know all the rules and apply them to all situations.
There are certainly times when I can fly very close to an airport, with CASA approval, for certain operations. As a rule this is not permitted without approval, but approvals can be gained quite easily if you are professional and operating safely within guidelines. I have done this more than a few times and have never been a danger to civilian (or military) aircraft. I also fly regularly within 3nm and breaking no rules.

Also not true for all examples. It is tiring reading the posts of people that think they know all the rules and apply them to all situations.
There are certainly times when I can fly very close to an airport, with CASA approval, for certain operations. As a rule this is not permitted without approval, but approvals can be gained quite easily if you are professional and operating safely within guidelines. I have done this more than a few times and have never been a danger to civilian (or military) aircraft. I also fly regularly within 3nm and breaking no rules.

For sure if people know about notams and airspace approval protocols etc, it isn’t too hard to fly in all but direct flight paths into major landing airspace.

Most, myself included, are just happy for now using CIFT as their guideline to places to fly, to keep it simple.

And that’s probably why CASA introduced it in this form, simple to implement and for the masses, to kind of blanket fly zones in a very simple way.

I like the way previous heli zones and other minor airports went from a height restriction to “land if you become aware of manned flights” . . . funny for the life of me I can’t even be 100% sure what that height restriction was, think 30m ?
I actually didn’t mind that rule but now it’s just watch out for others up there.

I was just giving you a rev-up Mavic_South ;)
You too Anzac. Thought that was obvious
You Guys didn't have to backtrack like that.

Me personally I would just rely on the Red zones in those CAZA maps.
There the same every day

I was just giving you a rev-up Mavic_South ;)
You too Anzac. Thought that was obvious
You Guys didn't have to backtrack like that.

Me personally I would just rely on the Red zones in those CAZA maps.
There the same every day

Ah, without the [emoji6][emoji14]or[emoji51] you just don’t know if posted in jest.
All good, happy flying.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
Some correspondence I had with CASA
UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback. In the interests of safety, the app depicts restricted airspace as being active continually (24/7) even though it may only be active by NOTAM and at certain times.

Regards,

Simon

Can I Fly There? team

Sent: Thursday, 16 May 2019 23:43
To: Can I Fly There? Application Feedback <[email protected]>
Subject: Can I Fly There

I have been using the app for a while but have a question re flying in restricted areas, in particular R189 and R859

I am also a private pilot so have an understanding of NOTAMs and restricted air space

In the above 2 areas the CIFT app always shows that drone flights are prohibited, yet when I check the NOTAMs I find there are none current and therefore the restricted areas are not active.

Does this mean that CIFT is not entirely accurate or is there some other restriction that I am not aware of.

Regards

True bushie.
CIFT is the easy, blanket, no fly system for the masses, but it’s a whole new world of areas to fly where you know about various airspaces, Airservices Aust access and NOTAM system.
Me, I’m happy for now at least just using the app.
Maybe one day if / when I get my RePL I would certainly be more likely to get into more places to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143