DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cine mode is too fast on M3

canadian drone videos

Reactions
Is there any way to set a max speed in Cine mode? So far, apart from the ridiculous location of the SD card my biggest complaint with the M3 is Cine mode being too fast. On my I2 while in Tripod mode I could set top speeds which was key for certain shots. This allows my chosen forward speed to be consistent. But I can see no way to set this up in the fly app, am I missing something?

I also think the AF may not be up to snuff? I saved a master cut of some video I’m working on and had a look at it on a bigger screen and I’m not convinced that’s 5k footage, or the focus isn’t great? The footage was of a large waterfalls. When I try and pull on it in post it looses res pretty good. The movement of the water seems to confuse the AF. However, in tree top fly overs I can crop it more and it still looks ok. All footage looks good in full res, but if the image can’t be cropped do to imperfect focus the 5k is pointless.

I suppose this drone is a piece of equipment and like all equipment you need to get to know it, trial and error, learn what it does well and where you really need to watch it. I’m going to reshoot the water falls trying a few different things.

Also not thrilled with this sensors low light performance, it isn’t what it should be at all. After working this sensor in an x5s for 3 years I know what it can do. Granted the x5s lens does let in a bit more light, but this is ridiculous. When it comes to low light you would never know that’s a 4/3rds sensor it acts like a 1” sensor.

In the end I’d say DJI did not do a good job on this drone. It seems like a rushed unfinished drone they kicked out the door knowing it’s replacement to keep ahead of competition is coming next summer. I feels like half way through the build they realized the competition was coming to market with a better one. My guess is this is the end of the Mavic line. All I know for sure is this is the last drone I buy that doesn’t have interchangeable lenses, and the Mavic style foldable drone isn’t suited for a camera gimbal with interchangeable lenses. If DJI wants to stay ahead of the competition they will need to come back to the Phantom airframe, use a 4/3rds camera gimbal and interchangeable lenses.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I also think the AF may not be up to snuff? I saved a master cut of some video I’m working on and had a look at it on a bigger screen and I’m not convinced that’s 5k footage, or the focus isn’t great? The footage was of a large waterfalls. When I try and pull on it in post it looses res pretty good. The movement of the water seems to confuse the AF. However, in tree top fly overs I can crop it more and it still looks ok. All footage looks good in full res, but if the image can’t be cropped do to imperfect focus the 5k is pointless.

I suppose this drone is a piece of equipment and like all equipment you need to get to know it, trial and error, learn what it does well and where you really need to watch it. I’m going to reshoot the water falls trying a few different things.

Also not thrilled with this sensors low light performance, it isn’t what it should be at all. After working this sensor in an x5s for 3 years I know what it can do. Granted the x5s lens does let in a bit more light, but this is ridiculous. When it comes to low light you would never know that’s a 4/3rds sensor it acts like a 1” sensor.

In the end I’d say DJI did not do a good job on this drone. It seems like a rushed unfinished drone they kicked out the door knowing it’s replacement to keep ahead of competition is coming next summer. I feels like half way through the build they realized the competition was coming to market with a better one. My guess is this is the end of the Mavic line. All I know for sure is this is the last drone I buy that doesn’t have interchangeable lenses, and the Mavic style foldable drone isn’t suited for a camera gimbal with interchangeable lenses. If DJI wants to stay ahead of the competition they will need to come back to the Phantom airframe, use a 4/3rds camera gimbal and interchangeable lenses.
I did my first shoot with the M3 this past week and the results are good but it's relative. A fixed AF lens with a M4/3 sensor is going to have its limits. I worked on some of the images yesterday and they look as good as the last shoot I did with an Inspire. A M4/3 sensor is an absolute minimum for pro video work and very limited in performance for still photos if you need to up the ISO for any reason. When DJI purchased Hasselblad I was hoping they would build a drone with a medium format sensor, not use Hasselblad to make a M4/3 camera! I would be curious how the X7 camera compares with shots from the M3. I wonder what sensor they are using?

I did my first shoot with the M3 this past week and the results are good but it's relative. A fixed AF lens with a M4/3 sensor is going to have its limits. I worked on some of the images yesterday and they look as good as the last shoot I did with an Inspire. A M4/3 sensor is an absolute minimum for pro video work and very limited in performance for still photos if you need to up the ISO for any reason. When DJI purchased Hasselblad I was hoping they would build a drone with a medium format sensor, not use Hasselblad to make a M4/3 camera! I would be curious how the X7 camera compares with shots from the M3. I wonder what sensor they are using?
To be fair I was drinking some captain Morgan rum last night. I looked at the edits this morning I thought were bad… well ya I had them cropped to around 400 lines of resolution lol. A lot of it is comparable to the x5s. I do need to use this drone more in certain conditions to really know what I’ve bought?

Reactions: Point Zero

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU