DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Circular antennas for modified Mavic Pro controller question.

iowahill

Reactions
Yes, I installed the Itelite NanoSync antenna system on my MP1 controller and have to say that I'm disappointed, finding that the stock antennas seem as good or better than the Itelite with regard to video and control. The one good thing about doing the mod is that after modifying the controller I now have external SMA connectors to try with other antennas and range extenders/boosters.

So my question is about circular polarized antennas (which most of the passive antenna mods seem to have) and whether anyone has tried after-market LH and/or RH polarized antennas. What I don't know about RF and antenna theory would fill many volumes, and having played with FPV on my Phantom 2's I still don't get the difference betwen LH and RH.

So any observations or experience from others with them is most appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, I installed the Itelite NanoSync antenna system on my MP1 controller and have to say that I'm disappointed, finding that the stock antennas dis as good or better than the Itelite with regard to video and control. The one good thing about doing the mod is that after modifying the controller I now have external SMA connectors to try with other antennas and range extenders/boosters.

So my question is about circular polarized antennas (which most of the passive antenna mods seem to have) and whether anyone has tried after-market LH and/or RH polarized antennas. What I don't know about RF and antenna theory would fill many volumes, and having played with FPV on my Phantom 2's I still don't get the difference betwen LH and RH.

Puts me off getting the Itelite panel now, was going to get it in the new year , that said panels are a LOS system and you need to maintain as much a straight line between you and the quad to get the best results

Puts me off getting the Itelite panel now, was going to get it in the new year , that said panels are a LOS system and you need to maintain as much a straight line between you and the quad to get the best results

In my case line of site was about the same between stock and Itelite systems. Range on the Itelite wasn't noticeably better than the omni pattern stock antennas. My next move will likely be the Titan Drones Switch system that includes an amp on the left transmit/receive antenna.

It appears that whatever you go for, you're going to have to mod the controller for external SMA connectors.

Yes, I installed the Itelite NanoSync antenna system on my MP1 controller and have to say that I'm disappointed, finding that the stock antennas dis as good or better than the Itelite with regard to video and control. The one good thing about doing the mod is that after modifying the controller I now have external SMA connectors to try with other antennas and range extenders/boosters.

LHP and RHP must match, so both Rx and TX should be the same, as far as I know, the reason for using these is that if I use LHP and you use RHP their will be less interference. My son uses a aliantech booster with his mp1 and it works really well.

Reactions: iowahill
LHP and RHP must match, so both Rx and TX should be the same, as far as I know, the reason for using these is that if I use LHP and you use RHP their will be less interference. My son uses a aliantech booster with his mp1 and it works really well.

THAT'S the kind of input I am looking for! So far it appears that the left side antenna takes care of TX/RX video and control, while the right antenna is a kind of R/X diversity antenna that might be getting a stronger signal than the left. Thanks!

In my case line of site was about the same between stock and Itelite systems. Range on the Itelite wasn't noticeably better than the omni pattern stock antennas. My next move will likely be the Titan Drones Switch system that includes an amp on the left transmit/receive antenna.

It appears that whatever you go for, you're going to have to mod the controller for external SMA connectors.
The Titan Switch has an amp on both the left and right antenna.
Also the Titan Switch and any other Titan antennas use QMA connectors but it is easy to convert an SMA connection to a QMA .

Reactions: iowahill
The Titan Switch has an amp on both the left and right antenna.
Also the Titan Switch and any other Titan antennas use QMA connectors but it is easy to convert an SMA connection to a QMA .

It looks like you can custom order the Switch ala carte, specifying just the components you need. And as mentioned before, James Crutchfield said that only the left amp seems to be needed. Yes, I think the Titan Switch system is coming to a street near me soon!

Well...in my opinion you need to boost both signals....outgoing and incoming. I put together a system by buying it piecemeal and it works fantastic!

View attachment 56215View attachment 56216View attachment 56217View attachment 56218View attachment 56219

If it works for you then there's nothing to question. So many options and opinions! Adding amplification is not a trivial amount of money, and I'm sure none of us considering that option wants to find it a mistake. Thanks for your contribution!

Hi all , new to the forum just tested the nano sync and a second battery and I flew 8 kms with full signal strength so for me it was good bang for my buck pictures can do the talking only returned to home due to battery 20181223_023256.jpg20181223_023252.jpg20181223_053059.jpg20181215_231247.jpg

How can I get this system for a Mavic Pro control?

Well...I scoured the classified section on this forum and on the RC Groups forum and found someone selling the 4 Hawks panel for a good price....then found somebody else selling the booster with a modded controller. Just watch the forum classified for good deals...they're out there.

Now if you don't mind spending the money then I would suggest you just get a Titan Switch. This is great for directional signals and also for an omni signal.

Yes, I installed the Itelite NanoSync antenna system on my MP1 controller and have to say that I'm disappointed, finding that the stock antennas seem as good or better than the Itelite with regard to video and control. The one good thing about doing the mod is that after modifying the controller I now have external SMA connectors to try with other antennas and range extenders/boosters.

Circular polarized antennas always have 3db loss when used with wip antennas. I dont see the logic in using them. So people use amplifiers with them to compensate .

Circular polarized antennas always have 3db loss when used with wip antennas. I dont see the logic in using them. So people use amplifiers with them to compensate .

CP antennas and whip antennas are two different breeds, so I don't get what you mean about "when used with "wip" antennas. I have the Titan Drones Switch system now with the optional +9dB 14" whips and their CP panel which can be used with or without the amplified booster panel. My overall best configuration is with the panel and the omni whips.

mt-2.jpg mt-3.jpg

CP antennas and whip antennas are two different breeds, so I don't get what you mean about "when used with "wip" antennas. I have the Titan Drones Switch system now with the optional +9dB 14" whips and their CP panel which can be used with or without the amplified booster panel. My overall best configuration is with the panel and the omni whips.

View attachment 62556 View attachment 62557

I have a Litchi mission test flight that I use at my shop for testing batteries and antennas that goes out to a little over a mile and back on a somewhat triangular course. I've been meaning to try putting a couple of RH polarized antennas left over from my Phantom 2's on the controller, both with the Titan booster panel and without just to compare with what I used to get with my stock MP1 controller antennas before modding to the Titan Drones Switch system. Those antennas are designed for the 5.8 GHz band but should be interesting to get a feel for performance comparison.

I have a Litchi mission test flight that I use at my shop for testing batteries and antennas that goes out to a little over a mile and back on a somewhat triangular course. I've been meaning to try putting a couple of RH polarized antennas left over from my Phantom 2's on the controller, both with the Titan booster panel and without just to compare with what I used to get with my stock MP1 controller antennas before modding to the Titan Drones Switch system. Those antennas are designed for the 5.8 GHz band but should be interesting to get a feel for performance comparison.

If the antennas are designed for 5.8CHz they will not work with the Titan booster, the booster will only work with 2.4 GHz.

Well...I scoured the classified section on this forum and on the RC Groups forum and found someone selling the 4 Hawks panel for a good price....then found somebody else selling the booster with a modded controller. Just watch the forum classified for good deals...they're out there.

Now if you don't mind spending the money then I would suggest you just get a Titan Switch. This is great for directional signals and also for an omni signal.

The Nano Sync is a great antenna so don't let these people fool ya. Boosted it's much better.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser