DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarification Canadian Advertised Event rule 901.41 (2)

Inger177

Reactions
I would like to know how far away I can be before I have to apply for the SFOC on this rule. It just states in 901.14 (1) that "AT any advertised event"! Now is the intent for safety or just cant take images of the event... or another reason? If its safety, is beyond the 30M plus OK? 500M? 1KM? before i have to apply for the SFOC?
Inger

I would like to know how far away I can be before I have to apply for the SFOC on this rule. It just states in 901.14 (1) that "AT any advertised event"! Now is the intent for safety or just cant take images of the event... or another reason? If its safety, is beyond the 30M plus OK? 500M? 1KM? before i have to apply for the SFOC?
Inger
Hi Inger
Attaching a photo of the page I found on the T.C. Drone Safety page. Quite ambiguous the way it’s stated. Perhaps a call to the T.C. Office in your area would get you clarification. (what does “not near” mean?)?
They do like leaving us scratching our heads...
But again if questioned, perhaps a response of “I’m not near the event” would suffice and having a copy of this page with you as proof.
Good luck and happy flying.
BTW what drone are you flying?

Attachments

• 408A9262-CD58-43DA-84E2-E19D369B8741.png
    408A9262-CD58-43DA-84E2-E19D369B8741.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Thanks for responding. I just got a reply back from my inquiry this morning from an agent from Transport Canada, here is what he wrote:

"The boundaries of an advertised event (outdoor event that is advertised to the general public, including a concert, performance, festival, market or sporting event, etc.) are limited by perimeter fences and at the gates where people are restricted by the event personnel, volunteers, security or peace agents. Where no such perimeter is defined for outdoor advertised events like for marathons, triathlons, cycling, swimming or skiing event, fishing derby, sailing, cruise ships, fireworks, etc., we expect the boundaries of the advertised event to be at least 100’ from people participating to this advertised event and 100 feet from the track of the sporting event for all categories of RPA pilot certificates and model of small RPAs. A RPAS SFOC for an advertised event is needed when operating an RPAS inside the boundaries of an advertised event. (ref: CAR 901.41 (2) and 903.01(f)). Anyone going in and out of the boundary of the event would construe to be part of the event."

So now I have better guidelines to go by and hope it helps other Canadians
Inger
just got my basic Pilot and a Mavic Pro 2

Reactions: dronepilotbob
Awesome. Now we have it in writing. Definitely something to print or have available on your device if questioned. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Inger177
Thanks for responding. I just got a reply back from my inquiry this morning from an agent from Transport Canada, here is what he wrote:

"The boundaries of an advertised event (outdoor event that is advertised to the general public, including a concert, performance, festival, market or sporting event, etc.) are limited by perimeter fences and at the gates where people are restricted by the event personnel, volunteers, security or peace agents. Where no such perimeter is defined for outdoor advertised events like for marathons, triathlons, cycling, swimming or skiing event, fishing derby, sailing, cruise ships, fireworks, etc., we expect the boundaries of the advertised event to be at least 100’ from people participating to this advertised event and 100 feet from the track of the sporting event for all categories of RPA pilot certificates and model of small RPAs. A RPAS SFOC for an advertised event is needed when operating an RPAS inside the boundaries of an advertised event. (ref: CAR 901.41 (2) and 903.01(f)). Anyone going in and out of the boundary of the event would construe to be part of the event."

So now I have better guidelines to go by and hope it helps other Canadians
Inger
just got my basic Pilot and a Mavic Pro 2

Thanks for the above. Makes sense. They basically don't want you to fly over any event without having SFOC. That's fair, and 100 feet away from the even is not bad at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike