DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarification of new rules in July for UK

eckydrone200

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone can clarify the following for drones such as Mavic Air, this has been copied from a site that I trust 100% to have the correct information.

After July 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no intentional flight over uninvolved persons (A1 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.

I am already registered to fly having done the online assessment when it came into force last year.

Just wondering if anyone can clarify the following for drones such as Mavic Air, this has been copied from a site that I trust 100% to have the correct information.

After July 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no intentional flight over uninvolved persons (A1 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.

I am already registered to fly having done the online assessment when it came into force last year.
I've already answered you on another thread.

The A2 CofC only gives you up to the standard PfCO stand off permissions for legacy aircraft.

I have had long discussions on this already with UAV Hub who are the first accredited entity in the UK to offer the new EASA certs.
Legacy aircraft will be EVERY current UAV from July 1st. Certification cannot be made retrospectivley and there are currently no C0-C4 UAV's in existence.
The mini is NOT certified and will have to be registered from July 1st and the existing Air will not be able to be flown over uninvolved people due to its kinetic energy, no low speed mode (tripod mode isn't sufficient), as well as other mitigating things like noise factor and physical construction and material used.

Read CAP1789 which is the CAA's EU UAS regulation package.
That will make it clear.

Last edited:
Yes, I know we are discussing this on another thread but just thought I'd see if there was any more info on it. I would be looking to get a new Air sometime anyway and also do the course. Where I fly it's easy to stay away from people and properties so not a big issue for me. Just seems that the rules can be open to misinterpretation sometimes and I always want to make sure I am flying within the law.

Yes, I know we are discussing this on another thread but just thought I'd see if there was any more info on it. I would be looking to get a new Air sometime anyway and also do the course. Where I fly it's easy to stay away from people and properties so not a big issue for me. Just seems that the rules can be open to misinterpretation sometimes and I always want to make sure I am flying within the law.
Have a look at CAP1789 and it should help (or it might confuse matters even more :D ).

Why does tripod mode not fulfill the requirement? Th e maximum speed is a lot less than the new requirement?
Because (currently) it must be accessible via a hardware switch (similar to sports mode) and not buried in a menu somewhere.
Legacy aircraft cannot be retrospectively certified so even if DJI made it possible to assign the Sport Mode switch to low speed or tripod mode it would not be enough.

Legacy aircraft cannot be retrospectively certified
So where does that leave us? If I wanted to perform commercial operations with my MPP after July 2020, is there any route to certifcation?

I read the Heliguys post on it and it was as clear as mud.

Reactions: Skyfli
So where does that leave us? If I wanted to perform commercial operations with my MPP after July 2020, is there any route to certifcation?

I read the Heliguys post on it and it was as clear as mud.
You do not need anything to undertake commercial operation after July 1st as the PfCO ceases to exist.
The CAA will no longer differentiate between commercial or recreational activity.
However......
Certification will come by way of the A2 CofC and on top of that the GVC ‘bolt on’
This will allow aircraft of the MPP MTOM to be used down to a distance of 5m from uninvolved people so long as a 1:1 rule is adhered to. BUT ONLY FOR THE TRANSISTIONAL PERIOD
You will need commercial liability insurance.
You will be limited on your proximity/stand off distances since you will be operating a legacy aircraft.
You will be further restricted once the transitional period has past.

Reactions: Gobuchul

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory).

That is rather confusing.
If the A2 CofC allows flight as close as 50m horizontally to people, what does the A1 allow as far as 'no intentional flight' over persons ??

How close / far does a standard A1 open cat pilot have to be away ?
The A2 level seems to suggest more than 50m, or it wouldn't be a step up from A1.

Is the UK still adopting the Euro drone rules to be coming along sometime in the near future ?

Thanks for the info. But I have a couple more!

BUT ONLY FOR THE TRANSISTIONAL PERIOD
How long is that?

You will be further restricted once the transitional period has past.

Is it clear what the further restriction will be after the transitional period?

It looks like the used value of the legacy aircraft will be greatly reduced!

That is rather confusing.
If the A2 CofC allows flight as close as 50m horizontally to people, what does the A1 allow as far as 'no intentional flight' over persons ??

How close / far does a standard A1 open cat pilot have to be away ?
The A2 level seems to suggest more than 50m, or it wouldn't be a step up from A1.

Is the UK still adopting the Euro drone rules to be coming along sometime in the near future ?
The open section has three subcategories
A1,2 and 3

A1 allows for no intentional (ie on purpose) flight over uninvolved people.
However, it is further categorized by MTOM.

The A2 CofC allows higher MTOM aircraft than 900g to be flown down to 50m (similar to the current PfCO) however,
if you take and pass the GVC you will be allowed to fly aircraft within A2 down to 5m of uninvolved people using a 1:1 height/distance ratio.

Yes - the CAA are still going ahead with the EASA regulations even though effectively we ceased to be an EASA member from Jan 31st this year.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Thanks for the info. But I have a couple more!

How long is that?

Two years from July 1st

Is it clear what the further restriction will be after the transitional period?

Yes - you will be limited to the A3 section only

It looks like the used value of the legacy aircraft will be greatly reduced!

Absolutely
In fact you will see secondhand values drop from July since DJI will release ADS-B equipped and certified aircraft this year.

Well, this is a useful thread. It's pretty much pointless buying any of the current DJi drones (or any manufacturer for that) as they will be classed as 'legacy' craft. I was considering buying a Zoom, but I'll hold off now.

I wish all retailers were as responsible as Heliguy and pointing out the change and how it will affect any purchase. Their guide is really helpful: https://www.heliguy.com/drone-training-i138

I think I'll take the A2 CotC test. I don't intend to fly commercially anymore, but I do work for friends that would require me to fly closer to their buildings.

Very useful thread!

My take is that if you are planning on commercial operations then you will need to acquire certified drones (none of which are yet available!) before the end of the transition period or be *extremely* limited in what you can do - basically flights within the A3 section only. Fortunately, that's July 1st 2022, so there's every chance that we'll have at least one, and possibly two, revisions of our preferred hardware available by then and many of us will have upgraded anyway as a matter of course. There may also be further updates allowing for more freedom for pilots with legacy aircraft, e.g. a new certification specifically for legacy (or self-made) aircraft, perhaps?

None of which helps with resale value of used aircraft though, so buying a new drone now might not be the most prudent of financial moves for EU/UK residents if you can avoid it. Since A3 is fine for most of my flights, and assuming I don't trash it beforehand, I'm planning on keeping mine for casual flights for the sake of it and riskier weather conditions, but YMMV as to how limiting that will be. Regardless of whether you fly for fun or profit, if you are in the habit of flying near where uninvolved people are likely to be present, or want to get closer to buildings and other structures than the basic A3 allows, than you should be seriously considering the A2 CofC, and maybe even the GVC/bolt-ons as well.

Another shout out for Heliguy from me as well. They have a great page summarising the new rules on a per-aircraft basis and it's worth pointing out that they are currently offering the 1-day A2 CofC course at £249 instead of £299, and the 2-day GVC course at £749 instead of £999 for those that are interested in getting ahead of the curve (other training companies exist). Note that full details of the GVC course are still being worked out, and the A2 CofC required renewal after 5 years - e.g. it's about £1/week.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Very useful thread!

My take is that if you are planning on commercial operations then you will need to acquire certified drones (none of which are yet available!) before the end of the transition period or be *extremely* limited in what you can do - basically flights within the A3 section only. Fortunately, that's July 1st 2022, so there's every chance that we'll have at least one, and possibly two, revisions of our preferred hardware available by then and many of us will have upgraded anyway as a matter of course. There may also be further updates allowing for more freedom for pilots with legacy aircraft, e.g. a new certification specifically for legacy (or self-made) aircraft, perhaps?

None of which helps with resale value of used aircraft though, so buying a new drone now might not be the most prudent of financial moves for EU/UK residents if you can avoid it. Since A3 is fine for most of my flights, and assuming I don't trash it beforehand, I'm planning on keeping mine for casual flights for the sake of it and riskier weather conditions, but YMMV as to how limiting that will be. Regardless of whether you fly for fun or profit, if you are in the habit of flying near where uninvolved people are likely to be present, or want to get closer to buildings and other structures than the basic A3 allows, than you should be seriously considering the A2 CofC, and maybe even the GVC/bolt-ons as well.

Another shout out for Heliguy from me as well. They have a great page summarising the new rules on a per-aircraft basis and it's worth pointing out that they are currently offering the 1-day A2 CofC course at £249 instead of £299, and the 2-day GVC course at £749 instead of £999 for those that are interested in getting ahead of the curve (other training companies exist). Note that full details of the GVC course are still being worked out, and the A2 CofC required renewal after 5 years - e.g. it's about £1/week.

I've been doing a bit of shopping around for the A2 CofC course this morning. It seems only two providers are currently able to offer it. Heligy, as you mentioned, and UAV HUb A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC) Drone Course

I like both companies, and I buy all my gear from Heliguy. But, their course is limited time for £249, where UAV Hub is £249 permanently.

"The A2 subcategory will allow you to ‘fly closer to people’ if you hold an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC) in the UK and are flying a C2 class aircraft or if your aircraft is less than 2 kg MTOM (maximum take-off mass)."

So does this mean the Mavics will be OK after the transition period if you have this certificate?

Not the current Mavics, no - or any of the DJI models. They will only be ok until July 22.
DJI will need to add the following to their drones to ensure they're compliant for those wishing to fly under A2 CofC:

- noise limitations (I'm not sure to what level)
- a remote ID
- a form of geo awareness
- a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph), which has to be operable by a switch/button on the remote

Edit to add - this doesn't mean you can't fly current models after July 2022, but that you won't be able to fly them if you wish to use them for flights covered by A2 CofC. See this article for more info: The Open Category and A2 CofC explained

Hi, there are some great videos on the subject which make it so clear.

The YouTube channel is the company I took my PfCO with and are now the first RAE in the UK.

Reactions: Lastrexking
What does that mean? Surely the fact it has a GPS and is transmitting an ID would cover this? A bit like the AIS on a ship?
Yeah, the GPS covers it along with the avoidance sensors (obviously not the Mavic Mini). However, DJi drones do not transmit an ID in a way that would conform with the new regs. I highlighted the features currently missing on DJI's drones in bold.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost