DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class C airspace warning

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
This is in Canada. I'm flying more that 5 NM from an airport. The TCA class C airspace begins at 1500' ASL, ground level here is at about 130' ASL.

I sometimes (not always) get a class C airspace warning in DJI GO - and sometimes (less often) need to check off some boxes acknowledging same in DJI GO.

But if the class C starts at 1500' above me, and I have altitude limited to 300 feet AGL (430' ASL), why am I getting these warnings? Perhaps because I "could" set the max alt to 500m AGL which would certainly bust into the bottom of the class C?

Can I report this to DJI? How?

Do you have a sectional chart of the area we can look at?

upload_2017-2-7_12-35-1.png

The 125/15 is the applicable Class C. The location of flight is just south of the "E" in VENISE. The area to the north of the sector line is 125/20.

Two airports - one to the north west; one to the southwest account for the airport control zones on the chart. (ie: I am outside of those).

Just a guess, but it may well be that the DJI software only checks for lateral airspace limits, and maybe leaves it to you to determine an appropriate vertical limit based on your position. Might be a question to ask DJI. I'd be interested in what you find on that!

Reactions: Jazper11
Interesting. I wasn't aware Go was even loaded with airspace rings, but that'd be great if DJI opened it so we could see them on a map instead of constantly having to track down sectional charts. I'd go with AKflyer though and say it likely only checks lateral limits.

I have flown at a place recently that was 6.8 miles from Class D airspace and still got the warning. I suspect their geo-fencing is conservative.

Just a guess, but it may well be that the DJI software only checks for lateral airspace limits, and maybe leaves it to you to determine an appropriate vertical limit based on your position. Might be a question to ask DJI. I'd be interested in what you find on that!

.... Hmm - 10.59 NM from the closest perimeter fence of one; 9.85 NM from the closest perimeter fence of the other. Canadian "rule" is 5 NM. So well outside of those limits.

What you say is plausible (vertical): since I "could" set the height limit to 500 metres then I could get to 1770 ASL which would definitely bust the floor of the C airspace - that might be their logic. But I have it set at 90 m.

Do DJI have a "contact" point for such?

I fly often under a shelf of Class B airspace and get the warning. It doesn't stop the flight. I think they are just warning the unsuspecting that there is controlled airspace above that the pilot needs to be aware of. I don't think it's sophisticated enough to look at the max height setting.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851