DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class D air space

PoonDog

Reactions
There is no LAANC here and I want to do some low level photos in a class D. How do I get past DJI "cannot take off". I mknow it can be done, but im ignorant

There is no LAANC here and I want to do some low level photos in a class D. How do I get past DJI "cannot take off". I mknow it can be done, but im ignorant

Under Part 107 you can apply via the old FAA portal for authorization or waiver. Under the recreational exemption there is no way to get authorization.

Reactions: Gindra
They have opened up Dronezone requests to hobbyists. That's why the turnaround time went up. However hobbyists won't be granted a waiver for going above the altitude listed in the grid whereas 107 can be granted such a waiver.

But his question is about unlocking Geofence NFZ which is not controlled by LAANC in any way.
Poondog: is the area you're trying to fly in blue, grey or red in the app map?

They have opened up Dronezone requests to hobbyists. That's why the turnaround time went up. However hobbyists won't be granted a waiver for going above the altitude listed in the grid whereas 107 can be granted such a waiver.

But his question is about unlocking Geofence NFZ which is not controlled by LAANC in any way.

I hadn't noticed that it had been opened for recreational flight - thanks.

In any case - I assumed that the OP is not in a self-unlockable zone, and would require FAA authorization to get a custom unlock. If it is self-unlockable then the solution is trivial.

Reactions: Gindra

Blue

OK, thats an authorization zone which you can unlock with online access, except on the Mini at this time.
The app needs internet access at least temporarily while at the location.
You need a device (phone) capable of receiving a text message. It doesn't have to be the same device running the app.

To start things rolling, attempt to start motors despite the NFZ alert.
Follow the prompts. The phone number they are asking for is the phone I mentioned to receive texts, not necessarily a number you registered in your DJI account.
They'll text you a code, you enter the code when prompted.

Last edited:
OK, thats an authorization zone which you can unlock with online access, except on the Mini at this time.
The app needs internet access at least temporarily while at the location.
You need a device (phone) capable of receiving a text message. It doesn't have to be the same device running the app.

To start things rolling, attempt to start motors despite the NFZ alert.
Follow the prompts. The phone number they are asking for is the phone I mentioned to receive texts, not necessarily a number you registered in your DJI account.
They'll text you a code, you enter the code when prompted.

So does that notify the control tower you are in the area?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost