DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class E Questions

firstbase

Reactions
Still sorting out the sectional for my area.

First question, is there something in particular that makes the FAA classify air space as Class E (sfc)? Flight paths, terrain, anything in particular?

Second question is about a small, private, corporate airport close to me. I am on the edge of or in Class E (sfc). However, the airport is only open Mon-Fri 8a-5p. If the airport is closed am I still required to notify of drone flight? Does the Class E (sfc) designation change when it is closed or is it always classified as such? Sorry for newb questions...

18-1-2. CLASS E SURFACE AREAS

a. A Class E surface area is designated to provide controlled airspace for terminal operations where a control tower is not in operation. Class E surface areas extend upward from the surface to a designated altitude; or to the adjacent or overlaying controlled airspace. Class E airspace surface areas must meet the criteria in paragraph 17-1-3 of this order.​
b. When a surface area is established to accommodate part time operations at a Class C or D airspace location, the surface area will normally be coincident with that airspace. If the airspace is not coincident, it should be explained in the rule.​

18-1-3. DESIGNATION

If the communication and weather requirements described in paragraphs 17-2-9 and 17-2-10 are met, Class E surface airspace may be designated to accommodate:

a. IFR arrival, departure, holding, and en route operations not protected by other controlled airspace.​
b. Instrument approach procedures. Surface airspace may be designated to accommodate special instrument procedures if such action is justified and/or in the public interest. The following factors are among those that should be considered:​
1. Type of procedure including decision height or minimum descent altitude.​
2. The actual use to be made of the procedure, including whether it is used by a certificated air carrier or an air taxi/commuter operator providing service to the general public.​
NOTE-​
For special instrument procedures, consideration should be given to availability to other users.​
3. The operational and economic advantage offered by the procedure, including the importance and interest to the commerce and welfare of the community derived by the procedure.​
4. Any other factors considered appropriate.​

Chapter 18. Class E Airspace

brett8883,
Got the following error with your video:
"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: ycwuI_YcDVmcavef)"

brett8883,
Got the following error with your video:
"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: ycwuI_YcDVmcavef)"
I got the same error. In my training material when an airport is closed it reverts to class G airspace. To be sure stop by the airport and ask. That would be a good time to establish relationships with the airport personnel to IMO

Check the AF/D (aka Chart Supplement) for the airport. It should indicate the airspace and hours of operation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada