DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clockwise vs anticlock wise, is there an imbalance in which sense/handing of props you have replaced?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Just noticed that I have seemingly replaced more clockwise props than anti clockwise props and am wondering whether this is an artifact of the places and way I fly etc. I'd have thought random breakages would tend to even out between clockwise and anti clockwise

That's it! I always find myself starting off going anti-clockwise!

"When uncertain, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. When the danger has gone away, turn and run the other way!"

When I was a cop, that meant find and empty intersection, hit the lights and siren, and start a one cop car side show! :)

That's it! I always find myself starting off going anti-clockwise!

I don't know why, but I've always liked the word "widdershins."

Makes one heck of a Scrabble win. ;)

If there's a joke in there, I don't get it. Or is it being implied I have asked a daft question?

Reactions: Richy mini
If there's a joke in there, I don't get it. Or is it being implied I have asked a daft question?

Sorry - your question was perfectly reasonable - it just lead to some rather silly responses.

Back to the question - I agree that it should be random. What kind of damage was leading you to replace them? Not completely broken props, presumably?

Reactions: old man mavic
Aside from warped props on delivery, mainly minor dents in the leading edge or outer edge but two blades from differing motors (I don't remember which motors) had proper and serious cracks but that followed a proper 'hit the floor' crash in the house. It had occurred a day or so previously and I only saw them when the light caught one crack perfectly and I really scrutinised the remainder, at rest the sides of the cracks knitted together perfectly.

Aside from warped props on delivery, mainly minor dents in the leading edge or outer edge but two blades from differing motors (I don't remember which motors) had proper and serious cracks but that followed a proper 'hit the floor' crash in the house. It had occurred a day or so previously and I only saw them when the light caught one crack perfectly and I really scrutinised the remainder, at rest the sides of the cracks knitted together perfectly.
@PhiliusFoggg ,if you just stop to think for a moment ,my fellow flier the direction the props turn ,CCW OR CW,will have no bearing on prop damage with regards to the direction they are turning if they strike an object in flight then it is mostly the leading that is going to attain damage,regardless of direction of travel ,there are so so many variables to be considered in trying to annalise the effect of rotation on damage sustained ,just put it down to random chaos theory

OMM that's all true but, if for example, I or anyone else unknowingly tend to fly in such a way that the blades of one particular motor are more likely to clip something then that could/would skew the results.

well if that was the case ,you could mitigate the effect simply by swapping the two CW motor directions with those of the CCW ones and visa versa as long as two diagonally apposed motors turn CCW and the other two turn CW then the forces are cancelled out, i think that the reactions you received at the start of your thread said it all really ,but i have to admit it has been entertaining to postulate with you

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
well if that was the case ,you could mitigate the effect simply by swapping the two CW motor directions with those of the CCW ones and visa versa as long as two diagonally apposed motors turn CCW and the other two turn CW then the forces are cancelled out, i think that the reactions you received at the start of your thread said it all really ,but i have to admit it has been entertaining to postulate with you

Uum forgive me but are you saying put clockwise props on anti clockwise motors and vice versa? Wont that drive the drone into the ground?

no not quite,you said that because you fly in a certain way that could be why you seem to be damaging one particular set of props that turn CW
so if you imagine the drone facing away from you then on one front arm there will be a CW prop and the opposite front arm will have a CCW prop ,then diagonally opposite ,to those front arms will be a corresponding prop turning in the same direction
so my point is this no matter which way you fly the props will always turn the same way whether you are going forwards ,backwards or sideways ,up or down or turning on the spot
so if the damage was because of the way you flew ,i suggested that to mitigate the issue then just swap the direction of the motors direction on aposeing arms
so with the drone facing away from you swap the direction of rotation of the front two arms motors ,and the corresponding diagonally opposite motors and then see if it made any difference this would mean the motors would be going in different directions so if your theory is correct then you should see more damaged CCW props

Fair enough but either swapping over motors or changing the direction in which they rotate seems a bit extreme as well as invalidating the warranty and probably care fresh.
BTW flying sideways swaps the direction of the leading RH motor etc etc.

All the above said by everyone, no one has answered the titular question.

Fair enough but either swapping over motors or changing the direction in which they rotate seems a bit extreme as well as invalidating the warranty and probably care fresh.
BTW flying sideways swaps the direction of the leading RH motor etc etc.

All the above said by everyone, no one has answered the titular question.
well all my posts have been based on your original post ,and are really only theoretical scenarios but my answer to your titular question is no

I think if you swapped CW for CCW, the drone would yaw left when you push the stick to the right and vice versa, and you'd probably want to fly in ATTI mode so the software doesn't ever try to control the heading. :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada