DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close call with a goose.

Awesome video...crazy tho!

Reactions: JoshuaCarlton
Interesting, wonder what the forward sensors were doing ? Did they stop your forward flight ? Great video, I know how cold your neighborhood is and it’s still smooth. I’m again jealous.

Interesting, wonder what the forward sensors were doing ? Did they stop your forward flight ? Great video, I know how cold your neighborhood is and it’s still smooth. I’m again jealous.
I was so startled that I didn’t notice if the drone stopped on it’s own, I did have APAS on and the footage looks like the Mavic Air started to rise away from the goose. So happy I didn’t lose it today!

Reactions: stpatrick
Yeah.. and stop scaring the wildlife by flying so close and over them. Is it really necessary? This is why drone laws become more and more restrictive. I get It, its a goose, it probably just went that's loud, I'm out of here..... next time you will be flying over someone's horse... The horse won't like It, and you won't like what the owner will do to you.

Yeah.. and stop scaring the wildlife by flying so close and over them. Is it really necessary? This is why drone laws become more and more restrictive. I get It, its a goose, it probably just went that's loud, I'm out of here..... next time you will be flying over someone's horse... The horse won't like It, and you won't like what the owner will do to you.
Like I said in my post. “Lesson learned. I will next time fly higher and leave the birds alone”

I wasn't as close as it seems but for a second I thought I was going to lose the Mavic Air today. Lesson learned to enjoy the birds from a little higher and leave them alone.
very nice shots indeed!

I think geese are more easily scared then swans. I fly a lot close to the many swans on 'our' lake and they are never bothered the slightest. I don't have any experience with geese, except one that nearly rammed my stationary hovering Inspire1 during an inspection. It was not aggression, I just happened to be in its flight path. These birds have so much inertia in a straight flight, they simply ram you if you don't take evasive actions.

Here's a clip I made about the swans. You can see they are not bothered. But as soon as I would notice any stress I would back off immediately. I kept a close eye on both the Mavic Pro and the swans, trying not to look too much to the screen (because it always happens in that split second you watch the screen). The people with dogs on the beach are a lot more disrupting and disturbing for swans.

I fly inspections for the Provincial Environmental and Wildlife Inspection and know very well what I'm doing (and have permission).

But I agree, we should never wilfully scare animals. I had to film a sheep herd last autumn and before even starting to film, I first tested out how the sheep would react by very slowly entering their comfort zone with the drone. The shepherd was amazed that the sheep didn't even look up after a few minutes.

Reactions: MavicTraveler
I wasn't as close as it seems but for a second I thought I was going to lose the Mavic Air today. Lesson learned to enjoy the birds from a little higher and leave them alone.

Nice video. Did you grade this or is it straight from the drone camera?

Thanks.
I increased sharpness and contrast a bit. This was filmed in DLog so yes I have color graded in Resolve but only minimal adjustments.

Really? Seriously? With the drone laws everybody sounds like a broken record when saying that..... it's so old .... oh really? Is that why drones are going to get banned seriously? ....Stop talking to him like he's 5. You didn't need to make this post at all ....he said in his first post lesson learned ...so go somewhere with your negative attitude

Really? Seriously? With the drone laws everybody sounds like a broken record when saying that..... it's so old .... oh really? Is that why drones are going to get banned seriously? ....Stop talking to him like he's 5. You didn't need to make this post at all ....he said in his first post lesson learned ...so go somewhere with your negative attitude
It's common sense, don't fly near animals, birds, etc. The problem with the OP's original comment about "lesson learned" is, that it's only because his drone was almost hit. Do you think if the goose DID'NT decide to move at that very moment, he would be saying "lesson learned" ? I highly doubt it. He would be showing the video and probably be getting praise for it. I have no problem with what Aerial Gopher said, sometimes flyers need a reminder.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
It's a goose we use dogs to chase them away, to me no different. I film deer all the time, if they run I don't chase, have some really nice bucks on film because of it.

Chill out poindexter!

It's common sense, don't fly near animals, birds, etc. The problem with the OP's original comment about "lesson learned" is, that it's only because his drone was almost hit. Do you think if the goose DID'NT decide to move at that very moment, he would be saying "lesson learned" ? I highly doubt it. He would be showing the video and probably be getting praise for it. I have no problem with what Aerial Gopher said, sometimes flyers need a reminder.
I agree, no reason to fly like an a$$ and scare the wildlife. Lesson learned? It’s common sense brosiff.

Reactions: MavicMo
...regardless this is a well done video...very serene. Liked it.

Last week I had the MA in RTH mode when flights of geese started to fly by. They came directly over my landing pad. I thought they would knock the MA out of the sky. I was lucky this time.
Since my main flight areas are over open space I see lots of wildlife. If the wildlife is bothered by the drone it is too close. As a photographer I have to use the same rule. Flying or walking directly at wildlife will make them nervous. Instead go side to side and bend over as if you are grazing. Also with wildlife silence is death, they know you are around before you know where they are.

Nice shots, which FPS setting did you shoot in?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa