DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close call with the Mavic Air

Steve F

Reactions
Site
www.stephenfischerphotography.com
I almost lost my Mavic Air the other day, and thought it would be useful to share my experience.

While traveling on a road along the edge of a deep forested canyon after some recent rains, I spied a distant waterfall a couple of miles away. There was somewhat of a breeze, but it did not some that significant at the time. Launching my drone to check out the waterfall, I almost reached it before getting the usual warning message that I need to turn around in order to have enough battery to make it back. In the past, I have noticed that when letting the drone return automatically in this circumstance I would still have about ~15-20% battery life left over after the return. In this case I wanted to get a little closer to the waterfall for some better pictures, so I overrode the return-to-home action and kept going further away for about another 15 seconds(?) before returning. On the return back I also did some video as the drone overflew some interesting canyon terrain. But as time went on I realized that my distance versus remaining battery life on the drone was starting to look iffy, as I believe I may have been running into headwinds on the return. So I turned off further video recording to save battery life and also decided to slowly descend the drone as it returned so that it would be potentially exposed to less winds and spend less time in the air by the time it got back. But at about 380 feet away from me I got a "battery critically low message" at about 6% left, and the drone exited the return-to-home mode and started descending. When I looked back from controller phone screen to the drone, I lost sight of it as it started descending below the rim of the canyon. But by quickly switching to the map function on the controller I saw it had also changed course and descending away from me. At this point I manually turned it around and increased the altitude, and was able to successfully bring it in for a landing with about 3% battery life remaining. Looking at the flight logs afterwards, the drone had covered 25,049' over a time of 16:58, with the maximum distance about 2.3 miles away. I was also using the Master Airscrew quiet props.

The lessons I learned from this close call are the following:
- Don't underestimate the controller's return-to-home messaging, especially if you have any sort of winds that could alter the flight variables in a significant way.
- I am not sure that manually reducing the altitude on the way back (from the set return-to-home altitude) was the right thing to do. I think the drone at some threshold decided the battery life was to short to go further and that it needed to land NOW, despite it had not reached home, and oblivious to the landing conditions at that point. If I was at a high altitude when this action commenced, perhaps I would have more margin to take corrective actions to recover from this situation.
- Given close-calls like this, I am in no hurry to plunk down money for a more expensive drone that I might live to regret such a loss.

Attachments

• DJI_0584_1600-2.jpg
    DJI_0584_1600-2.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 302
That must've been a heart in mouth moment for u Steve! So pleased u got it back.
Just wondering, did u try bringing it back in sport mode? I've found the increase in speed especially in strong winds despite the extra battery drain works better, and the drone is more likely to return with a higher battery level.

Glad you got it back safely? Nice photo, btw??

That must've been a heart in mouth moment for u Steve! So pleased u got it back.
Just wondering, did u try bringing it back in sport mode? I've found the increase in speed especially in strong winds despite the extra battery drain works better, and the drone is more likely to return with a higher battery level.
Yes indeed. But just kept to the mantra, keep calm and fly on.
I was in regular mode, as I have assumed sport mode puts a bigger drain on the battery.

Glad you got her back and thank you for sharing. Also, awesome photo! But the photo would still not have made it worth it had you lost your bird, so the lesson is a good one. About this
So I turned off further video recording to save battery life
Is this true? Does recording affect remaining battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got her back and thank you for sharing. Also, awesome photo! But the photo would still not have made it worth it had you lost your bird, so the lesson is a good one. About this

Is this true? Does recording affect remaining battery?
I would expect so, but haven't measured it, and thus quantified by how much. When you are video recording, there is much higher write rate to the microSD card, video encoding processing is also active for the resolution you specified (in my case 2.7K) instead of at just the resolution for the uplink. In this case, even 10 more seconds of battery life would make a difference.

Did you come in lower or higher than that before pressing RTH? That’s one problem with using RTH with a very low battery, as the drone will go up to that height and again possibly be subject to high winds and wasting extra power to go higher instead of landing. I have to remember doing this as well, as I tend to rely on RTH a lot.

Did you come in lower or higher than that before pressing RTH? That’s one problem with using RTH with a very low battery, as the drone will go up to that height and again possibly be subject to high winds and wasting extra power to go higher instead of landing. I have to remember doing this as well, as I tend to rely on RTH a lot.
I was higher than that when I pressed the RTH button, so it didn't have to climb further on the return. As the drone got closer on the return and when I realized by critical battery situation is when I started reducing the altitude below the RTH value. I had the same thinking and motivation when I did that.

Reactions: AMann
I was higher than that when I pressed the RTH button, so it didn't have to climb further on the return. As the drone got closer on the return and when I realized by critical battery situation is when I started reducing the altitude below the RTH value. I had the same thinking and motivation when I did that.
Does the drone’s calculation for RTH battery capacity take into account wind strength at the set RTH height? Does it have capability to know that? Sorry if that is dumb question. As nube, I am petrified of ignoring the RTH feature.

Does the drone’s calculation for RTH battery capacity take into account wind strength at the set RTH height? Does it have capability to know that? Sorry if that is dumb question. As nube, I am petrified of ignoring the RTH feature.
I don't know. The altitude vs. RTH height is a good question. Based on my experiences, I doubt it takes wind strength into account. I say that based on the amount variant battery life left on the different flights I have made.

It does not consider wind as a factor on RTH. Something to keep in mind in the future, since the drone will use more battery to fight the winds there and on the way back.

Thanks for sharing! As a new and learning pilot, these posts are invaluable for building the knowledge bank and preparing for reacting to unintended situations.

Reactions: SandiSCE
At this point I manually turned it around and increased the altitude, and was able to successfully bring it in for a landing

Wondering if you had to do anything to regain control. I had an incident whereby it went into a forced automatic landing, and I couldn't override it. Were you simply able to use your sticks to override?

Reactions: R&R

First, there’s no such thing as a “dumb question” when posed by a seriously inquiring mind. ;)

No. As smart of a machine as a DJI drone is, including even having a “smart” battery, it is solely within the drone pilot’s ability & responsibility to plan ahead with regards to computing battery usage, flight time, flight conditions, and distances, to ensure a safe return home.

Simply put: when establishing your flight plan - which is something I believe should be a standard routine every drone pilot goes through before taking off for any drone “mission,” regardless of how simple the flight may be - whenever possible, always fly INTO the wind on your way out, and then take advantage of a tail wind helping to bring you back home when it’s time to return. If you do this one simple thing, your smart battery readings will more accurately reflect how much power you can actually count on having to make it back safely.

If you MUST face headwinds on the return flight, then I suggest adding 15-25% more power usage to whatever your smart battery readings actually are, just to give yourself a safe buffer. You can always fly out again on a fresh battery, but you cannot fly a crashed & trashed drone. And who wants to spend time trying to find one that force-landed in some unknown place just because your reach exceeded your grasp?

*NOTE* THE FOLLOWING COMMENT IS FOR MALE DRONE PILOTS ONLY:

So...don’t make the same mistake too many guys make at urinals and toilets: The target is ALWAYS farther away than it looks, and your unit NEVER goes as far as you’d like.

Reactions: SandiSCE
First, there’s no such thing as a “dumb question” when posed by a seriously inquiring mind. ;)

No. As smart of a machine as a DJI drone is, including even having a “smart” battery, it is solely within the drone pilot’s ability & responsibility to plan ahead with regards to computing battery usage, flight time, flight conditions, and distances, to ensure a safe return home.

Simply put: when establishing your flight plan - which is something I believe should be a standard routine every drone pilot goes through before taking off for any drone “mission,” regardless of how simple the flight may be - whenever possible, always fly INTO the wind on your way out, and then take advantage of a tail wind helping to bring you back home when it’s time to return. If you do this one simple thing, your smart battery readings will more accurately reflect how much power you can actually count on having to make it back safely.

If you MUST face headwinds on the return flight, then I suggest adding 15-25% more power usage to whatever your smart battery readings actually are, just to give yourself a safe buffer. You can always fly out again on a fresh battery, but you cannot fly a crashed & trashed drone. And who wants to spend time trying to find one that force-landed in some unknown place just because your reach exceeded your grasp?

THANKYOU for all that good and patiently delivered advice! So far my flights have not ventured terribly far, but I keep going a little farther each time. I will definitely pay attention to wind bearings from now on. Is there a way to know how much stronger the winds are at various heights (on the flight apps?)?

As for the concluding remarks ... not male but noted anyway!!! ?

LOL!! Your sexual ID is duly noted! ? VERY glad to welcome a non-male pilot to this forum and shared avocation, if not even vocation.

Unfortunately, there are no hard & fast rules to adhere to about variations in wind speed with regards to elevations (i.e., altitudes) because of the virtually limitless sets of variables that can impact upon such findings. But an understanding of the physics involved may help you wrap your mind around it - instead of wrapping your drone around something unintended. This understanding would fall in the category of fluid mechanics (at least, I think it would ?).

1) Air is less dense the higher up you go in altitude/elevation, and the pressure present upon the air is less, too. Because air pressure decreases the higher up you go in altitude/elevation, air at higher altitudes/elevations is more susceptible to the effects of “wind,” an invisible force we perceive daily which is actually just the released kinetic energy of our Sun stored in the surface of our planet, energy we call “heat.” So, the higher up you go, the “windier” it gets.

2) At lower elevations - meaning, at decreased altitudes - the deleterious effects of our planet’s “surface friction” cause a decrease in wind speeds. This friction is caused by everything from terrain to vegetation to soil composition and so on. The closer to the planet’s surface, the greater the surface friction is; therefore, the lesser the wind speeds will be the closer you get to the ground, i.e., “surface.” Conversely, the higher up you go in altitude away from the friction of our planet’s surface, the greater the wind speeds will be, too.

3) As mentioned in #1 above, the air at lower altitudes/elevations is more dense, “heavier,” than the air is at higher elevations/altitudes. This air is less susceptible to the effects of the force we refer to as “wind,” just as any denser (heavier) object is harder to move around than a less-dense (lighter) object is.

ALL of this simply means it’s less windy nearer the ground than it is farther away from it.

The take away from all of this is: always be aware of the effects wind & wind speed have on an object such as a drone; what causes it and what changes it; how to use it to your advantage; and then incorporate this cumulative, yet plastic, knowledge into every drone flight you take, because each flight presents a unique set of variables you must take into consideration. (In other words, because water constantly flows and is ever-changing, “You can never stand in the same river twice.”)

For example:

A - Flying at higher altitudes will subject you to greater winds, meaning your drone has to work harder in the air, thereby draining your battery quicker.

B - Fly into the wind when going out whenever possible knowing the wind will help push you home when you return.

C - When your battery level decreases and you have power/flight time/distance/return home concerns, get closer to the ground so you face less-powerful wind forces which will extend your battery life. This will also result in more efficient use of your battery life IF you’ve pushed the envelope too far and a low-battery forced landing occurs. If this happens and the drone is already at a lower altitude, time & energy will not be wasted in lowering the bird to the ground, buying you precious seconds that could mean the difference between a crash and a close call. Also, should power suddenly stop, if the drone is closer to the ground it will have a shorter distance to fall, increasing its chance of survival.

Other benefits exist, too. But hopefully this much info will get across the idea I have laboriously tried to convey. In the end, you do have to “wing it” (pun intended!). But above & beyond all of this and MOST important of all is: Be Safe and Have Fun!!

Wondering if you had to do anything to regain control. I had an incident whereby it went into a forced automatic landing, and I couldn't override it. Were you simply able to use your sticks to override?
I believe it was just a matter of using the control sticks. It seems that the Mavic Air allows you to do this automatically as you get close to landing, allowing you to tweak the exact landing position. But there are times where to take manual control I will have to hit the 'X' on the control screen to cancel the mode I am in. Given how quickly things were devolving, I may have instinctively done that as part of the manual control process. In general I find it to be good practice to utilize manual control on your landings to get a better handle on your drone and more precisely control where you want to put it down. In this case, that came in handy to recover it quickly before the battery was exhausted.

Reactions: Topo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom