DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close call

Thanev

Reactions
While out flying this morning I flew backwards into a powerline over a deserted roadway.I have a great feeling about Master Airscrew props after this incident.
The Mavic Pro2 rocked violently on impact (camera view) and I knew right away I had struck a powerline.Rather than utilize RTH which may have further damaged the props(Mavic would have climbed quickly to RTH height perhaps leading to further damage to the props),I chose to fly slowly back to the homepoint.I DID notice a slight vibration in the camera view,and the sound of the Mavic had changed.Upon landing, I changed-out the damaged props,inspected for other damage and continued on with my flights.
This has also highlighted the following for me:
ALWAYS check you area of flight and be cognizant of hazards
ALWAYS have an emergency plan in place
Needless to say,I am also highly appreciative of the stability of the Mavic Pro2 unders such adverse conditions.
20200823_145410.jpg

While out flying this morning I flew backwards into a powerline over a deserted roadway.I have a great feeling about Master Airscrew props after this incident.
The Mavic Pro2 rocked violently on impact (camera view) and I knew right away I had struck a powerline.Rather than utilize RTH which may have further damaged the props(Mavic would have climbed quickly to RTH height perhaps leading to further damage to the props),I chose to fly slowly back to the homepoint.I DID notice a slight vibration in the camera view,and the sound of the Mavic had changed.Upon landing, I changed-out the damaged props,inspected for other damage and continued on with my flights.
This has also highlighted the following for me:
ALWAYS check you area of flight and be cognizant of hazards
ALWAYS have an emergency plan in place
Needless to say,I am also highly appreciative of the stability of the Mavic Pro2 unders such adverse conditions.
View attachment 111376
How far away was your drone when you hit the power line, was it within VLOS? Or as per the next post but one "It's not if....It's when!!!!" and the power line reached up and grabbed your drone? LOL.

How far away was your drone when you hit the power line, was it within VLOS? Or as per the next post but one "It's not if....It's when!!!!" and the power line reached up and grabbed your drone? LOL.
Even if you have the drone in sight, powerlines tend to hide themself perfectly for a bright sky.

General comment: Obstacle avoidance is less and less reliable the smaller the obstacle is. Power lines are about as bad as it gets. You survived this time and no doubt have an indelible memory from it. So that’s a positive for sure. Just don’t trust the avoidance systems 100%. Just like in a plane, you’re still the pilot. Very glad things turned out ok.

I have hit powerlines before and needless to say, it will shake you up a bit. I hit one with a P4P and it bounced off the line and I just knew it was going to crash. However, it regained balance but when I looked at my screen the camera was ****-eyed. I landed, turned the drone off and back on and the camera resets itself where it should be. Prayed and thanked God, finished the job.

My incident occurred within VLOS.Due to lighting the wires were not visible.Now if I had done a proper inspection of the area I would have seen them. My fault completely.I try to NEVER rely on obstacle avoidance,much like self driving cars.
Amazing how I can hit a 1" diameter wire when I have 400'AGLto play with.Wish lottery tickets paid out like that.

I have yet to hit a power line, but I've seen them as I pass them by (and I mean forward, not backward), TOTALLY unaware that they were there (even though I was VLOS *and* the screen was showing a forward video feed).

I check more carefully for lines (power or otherwise) these days.

Chris

Is OP saying that the Airscrew props saved the day and things would have been different with OEM props ?

Is OP saying that the Airscrew props saved the day and things would have been different with OEM props ?
OP is saying he is impressed that Master Airscrew props held together and made it back with that much damage.Anwill support Master Airscrew in ALL of his aircraft.
OP is saying he is impressed with stabilization system in the Mavic Pro2
Nothing more.Nothing less.

Amazing how I can hit a 1" diameter wire when I have 400'AGLto play with.Wish lottery tickets paid out like that.

Just like a car skidding on black ice and off the road right where there’s a tree where you don’t want it to be.

Glad your AC survived to fly another day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007