DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Encounter with Manned Aircraft - Flight Log Link

SlugHead

Reactions
This is the first time I've had a manned aircraft approach me while in the middle of a flight. Since I had trouble seeing where the plane was in relation to my drone, I maintained my position and descended in altitude since it was higher than 300' AGL. I received the first verbal warning in English when the manned aircraft was detected by the ADS-B system, but as it got closer the warning the verbal warning was in Chinese and I have no idea what was said. I saw a small Cessna type aircraft after it went past my location. I've attached the flight log for reference, let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

I've had the same experience. I lowered my altitude to about 100 feet and hovered until the aircraft passed.

This is my plan as well. I would like pilots to chime in here, but I'm pretty sure that if a plane is flying 100 AGL and there isn't an airport nearby, they are more at fault than you are

I live in Alaska and there's a ridiculous amount of planes here. They fly over my house daily. Every lake is a runway and everyone's backyard is a runway. Most pilots here though stay above 500' so as long as I'm at or below 400' I'm ok, mostly. I usually stay lower and keep my head on a swivel. If I get an alert that a plane is in the area I try and get a visual and then I drop to 100' if possible because of tress. I let it pass then press on.

Reactions: hiflyer201
This is my plan as well. I would like pilots to chime in here, but I'm pretty sure that if a plane is flying 100 AGL and there isn't an airport nearby, they are more at fault than you are

It depends on the area you are flying in. In "sparsely populated areas", manned aircraft just need to stay 500 feet away from persons, vessels, vehicles, or structures. There is no actual minimum altitude otherwise.

Something I posted earlier this year that is applicable..........

Manned aircraft fly below 500ft quite often like for takeoff and landings, search and rescue, fighting fires, locating fugitives, crop inspections, building inspections, dam inspections, surveying, installing large HVAC on roofs, etc etc.

Had a manned aircraft warning last evening. Lowered my drone to 200', then a plane came cruising by at what looked like 4-500 feet.

I live in the English lake district and the RAF often practice low level flying along the valleys, sometimes if you are on a road amongst the fell’s / mountain’s the plains are lower than you.

Reactions: AK207 and Pietros

Unfortunately that is not how the law is written. All kinds of manned aircraft operate legally at low altitude, especially helicopters, which don't even need an airport to land, and sUAS are required to yield to all of them.

I live in the English lake district and the RAF often practice low level flying along the valleys, sometimes if you are on a road amongst the fell’s / mountain’s the plains are lower than you.

The plains are always lower than the mountains...

The plains are always lower than the mountains...

Not always - Like I said sometimes they are lower than the road through the Fell's / Mountain’s, you can actually look down on them.
They did try to stop them because the noise disrupted the peaceful atmosphere, lets face it if we are at war I would rather have pilots that can fly at high speed through difficult terrain than bother that practising upsets the tourists.

Not always - Like I said sometimes they are lower than the road through the Fell's / Mountain’s, you can actually look down on them.
They did try to stop them because the noise disrupted the peaceful atmosphere, lets face it if we are at war I would rather have pilots that can fly at high speed through difficult terrain than bother that practising upsets the tourists.

Sorry - my comment was a word play on your typo (plains instead of planes).

I pilot a "bush plane" (Aviat Husky) as well as drone. I have a Mooney 201 also, a retractable gear 4 place with a landing speed over 70 mph. Once away from the airport, altitude is my friend. If there's an engine failure, the Mooney's 12 to 1 glide ratio is all I have to reach a suitable (e.g. survivable) emergency landing spot. This is not the case with the Husky, as it flies low and slow, big wheels, can land in a few hundred feet. Flying low is often part of the fun. Many such aircraft are not required to have ADS-B out, so long as they remain clear of airspace where ADS-B is required.

My point is that you cannot depend on the drone's ADS-B aircraft warning to always alert you.

uyLCMI3.jpg

@bumper - hopefully you had a fly rod with you when you landed there :D

Why on earth do you want to fly 300 feet or more for what reason, i think 200 feet ample . [uk]

Why on earth do you want to fly 300 feet or more for what reason, i think 200 feet ample . [uk]
I am surrounded by trees that are 150ft tall. I need to go to at least 350 to get any decent views. Just one example, I’m sure there are many others.

. I need to go to at least 350 to get any decent views.
I'd say you're plenty safe in doing that , Ken. As a pilot..you never want to fly lower than at an altitude from where you can glide to ..uh...survivable landing....and low over the tree's is not a place that I want to be.
fixed wing aircraft have to give way to all sorts of things.. gliders, balloons, dirigibles,..you name it but let's face it..you're just not going to be able to see a drone in time. It is what it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest