DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Coast Guard vs DOD vs FAA

rgw

Reactions
Received this alert a couple of weekends ago along the coast of NW Washington.

c958be939e314721101eabe4e89ce704.jpg

It reads as DOD, but the content is directing you to the Coast Guard. I called the CG and was told, "don't fly over vessels, ever, but airspace is regulated by the FAA, not us, so call them." Another point to consider, we were about 7 miles from a naval air station. Which is why, I'm sure it was a DOD NSUFR, NB Kitsap. But why the odd message about vessels and why advise a call to the CG and not someone at WHIDBEY (name base used to be called, old habits die hard) NAS?

I'm confused as to whether this is a restricted flight area, or simply a warning to avoid flights over a vessel. Any thoughts from more experienced flyers?

Reactions: E90RAW
Welcome to the forum, @rgw

For those still learning the acronym, it stands for Department of Defense National Security UAS Flight Restriction, with this particular flight restriction in place since October 2018. These are coordinated efforts by the DoD and U.S. federal security and intelligence agencies, with the Coast Guard being the public face setup to receive calls.

These restrictions mean no UAS flights in this airspace from surface to 400 feet AGL (above ground level). There are very limited exceptions allowing UAS flights. All of this is detailed on the FAA website, including even more of these NFZs that came effective November 2019: Pending National Security UAS Flight Restrictions

As a former naval officer and a fairly new UAS hobbyist, I recently wondered if someone could get footage of a fleet ballistic missile submarine entering or leaving the area, and in the process of surfacing or submerging. Your post answered my question. Although they’d make for some dramatic YouTube videos, I’m actually relieved to know that we’re securing our federal sites and these types of operations.

Fortunately the West Puget Sound area has so many other beautiful coastlines over which to fly!

As Pelagic_One wrote, that IS a DOD Restricted Area for drone flights, due to the Ballistic missile submarines based there at NB Kitsap, as well as the nearby Naval Shipyard. As with all US Military bases, those are NFZs for security reasons, and the submarine bases even more so. Be advisable NOT to tempt yourself or you will likely lose your drone, at a minimum.

But the Olympic Peninsula is chock full of beautiful places to fly and photograph: Try Mirror Lake not too far west of there, among others.

Reactions: pelagic_one
While I was active duty U.S. Navy (submarines), submarine photography was prohibited with big signs and warnings on lower base. However, while at sea on the surface, unless they have certain masts and antennae raised and exposed, there's not a whole lot you can see...just saying.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Found this post on a Google search, ran into a similar issue today using Kittyhawk trying to get LAANC authorization. I just made a separate post about it here:

My new post about NSUFRs
kittyhawk.jpg

Very similar error, but instead of the Coast Guard it suggests calling the System Operations Security Coordinators. The odd thing is that as someone pointed out above the restriction is date-stamped, in my case May of last year. I had no problem flying in this location in November of last year, same location, equipment, and app. My gut feel is someone clicked the wrong checkbox in the Kittyhawk database and turned on hyper-restrictive mode.

Thoughts?

Ryan

Didn't the Kittyhawk come in or is it due? Bicycle riding around the base, one is met with lots of "restricted" warning signs. Hey, in Seattle we can't launch anywhere except from our own private lot.

Reactions: rgw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00