DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Coastal Kids

Droffarc

Reactions
I was peacefully flying over a rocky part of the coast at Klippiesbaai one afternoon when a young girl approached me and asked if she could see my "kite"
"It is over there" I replied, pointing to the mini2 in the distance.
She then left and joined the rest of her party below the outcrop I was standing on.
I reflected on this incident and concluded that she probably was expecting me to reel the drone in so she could have a gander and probably felt fobbed off with my answer.
I then resolved to, when I had completed my video shoot, fly the drone close to her so that she could see it - not too close though, keeping safety in mind.
I did this and although it looks quite close to the party the zoom lens makes it look so.
They were quite unaware of the drone up to a point when I made bobbing up and down movements to attract her attention.

Hope you enjoy.

See more of my video clips on my YT channel at:

LOL..........had to laugh when they saw the bird, I thought that was great.
Need more like this video.
And pop taking pics was a plus.

I had something similar happen with Phantom, I'd been out over the sea and as I brought it back to shore some kids turned up, they were all probably under 10 years old. I showed them the camera's view and they'd run underneath the drone (it was well out of jump range) then come back and watch, on the screen, their friends do the same thing, camera pointing down. No problem with the parents.
However when I finally did land a gust came through just as it touched down and it flipped the Phantom, one little boy ran towards it as if to pick it up and I probably scared the c**p out of him with my scream "No, leave it!", the props were still twitching. I can't remember if I explained why I shouted.

I had something similar happen with Phantom, I'd been out over the sea and as I brought it back to shore some kids turned up, they were all probably under 10 years old. I showed them the camera's view and they'd run underneath the drone (it was well out of jump range) then come back and watch, on the screen, their friends do the same thing, camera pointing down. No problem with the parents.
However when I finally did land a gust came through just as it touched down and it flipped the Phantom, one little boy ran towards it as if to pick it up and I probably scared the c**p out of him with my scream "No, leave it!", the props were still twitching. I can't remember if I explained why I shouted.
Most likely you saved the kid from a finger cut - you would not have been popular by injuring a child - one cannot be too careful - that is why at the end I did a quick up-and-away because it looked like the one was getting too close :eek:

Most likely you saved the kid from a finger cut :eek:
That was my thinking or worse, a mate had crashed the drone a few weeks before that and had picked it up with the motors still twitching, it sliced his arm quite nicely.

I hope you made contact with the family and offered them the footage! I'd bet the dad would love to have it...

It's nice to see they were genuinely pleased and intrigued instead of freaking out.

I hope you made contact with the family and offered them the footage! I'd bet the dad would love to have it...
I think so too but I have no way of contacting them - they left before I was finished

It's nice to see they were genuinely pleased and intrigued instead of freaking out.
Cannot understand that they would freak out - there was nothing sinister happening, no percieved threats etc. Just good friendly well intentioned people. Indeed I would not be surprised if the girl does not become a drone pilot one day.

ot understand that they would freak out - there was nothing sinister happening, no percieved threats etc. Just good friendly well intentioned people. Indeed I would not be surprised if the girl does not become a drone pilot one day.

Cannot understand that they would freak out - there was nothing sinister happening, no percieved threats etc. Just good friendly well intentioned people. Indeed I would not be surprised if the girl does not become a drone pilot one day.
I meant didn't start kicking off or complaining there's a drone about.

Nicely done!! Nothing like an audience while flying. Even had the citizen paparazzi!! HAHAHAHA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22