DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

codecs cannot view videos

srollinsod

Reactions
I cannot view the videos or edit them. I have a windows 7 computer. I use adobe premier elements. I have tried windows movie maker. All of them will not play the video due to not having the correct codec. I dont know how to get the proper codec or how to install. Can anyone help. DJI support does not understand.

Are you recording in the .mov format or .mp4 format? .mov is not as well supported as .mp4 since it is an Apple Crapple invention.

"Since both formats record the same lossy compression methods, they are almost interchangeable in an Apple environment. You can even convert a file from MOV to MP4 and vice versa without having to re-encode the video. But outside of the Apple operating system, you might run into some problems." Yep never compatible with the world.

I record in Mov here in Australia and PAL.
No problem uploading to both my Mac and my MSI Gaming laptop.
Use Movies on Mac and Resolve 14 on laptop.
By the way I take it you are talking about the SD card from the Mavic?

He is trying Movie Maker on a Windows 7 machine. And worse a Mac program Adobe too on a windows machine. IIRC .mov files always gave me fits before Windows 8. Every crazy file type required you to find the codec for the system to install.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
He is trying Movie Maker on a Windows 7 machine. And worse a Mac program Adobe too on a windows machine. IIRC .mov files always gave me fits before Windows 8. Every crazy file type required you to find the codec for the system to install.
That's because Windows didn't support anything but the crappiest standards pre-Windows 8. If you want to improve your options. Try the CCCP.

CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

I cannot view the videos or edit them. I have a windows 7 computer. I use adobe premier elements. I have tried windows movie maker. All of them will not play the video due to not having the correct codec. I dont know how to get the proper codec or how to install. Can anyone help. DJI support does not understand.

Do you have QuickTime installed on the PC? It wil install the correct codec for you.

Download Mediainfo, it will give you a lot of info about the media files. It works with Win7

Mediacoder is also useful, it will convert between formats or just remux into a different container.

GSpot also gives you a lot of information on the video file.

www.fourcc.org has a codec download page along with a list of what they handle.

and if you want a really quick way to view the videos, download PotPlayer, perhaps an old version from 'videohelp', 1.5.44465 is the old version I stick with. Plays everything I throw at it very well. At some point the maker had do unbundle the builtin codecs due to copyright reasons, so I stopped updating the thing.

PotPlayer Old Versions Downloads - VideoHelp

Are you recording in the .mov format or .mp4 format? .mov is not as well supported as .mp4 since it is an Apple Crapple invention.

"Since both formats record the same lossy compression methods, they are almost interchangeable in an Apple environment. You can even convert a file from MOV to MP4 and vice versa without having to re-encode the video. But outside of the Apple operating system, you might run into some problems." Yep never compatible with the world.
switched to MP4 after reading about formats. I can view that on movie maker. Adobe is still a problem

Do you have QuickTime installed on the PC? It wil install the correct codec for you.

Download Mediainfo, it will give you a lot of info about the media files. It works with Win7

Mediacoder is also useful, it will convert between formats or just remux into a different container.

GSpot also gives you a lot of information on the video file.

www.fourcc.org has a codec download page along with a list of what they handle.
thanks for the help. I have quicktime and can view on quick time but I dont have the full program to edit. I changed to MP4 and lower quality. Now I can view and somewhat edit with movie maker. Adobe is still a problem

I downloaded direct from the mavic

thanks for the help. I have quicktime and can view on quick time but I dont have the full program to edit. I changed to MP4 and lower quality. Now I can view and somewhat edit with movie maker. Adobe is still a problem
MP4 and MOV are just containers, the video stream within will be the same quality. I use Premiere Pro on Windows 10 and have no problems. I could also read the MP4 files from my vision 2 in premiere Pro on my old Win 7 computer.

I'm curious, could you load some out of camera footage somewhere so I could take a look at it? Dropbox, google drive, etc. are suitable free places .

MP4 and MOV are just containers, the video stream within will be the same quality. I use Premiere Pro on Windows 10 and have no problems. I could also read the MP4 files from my vision 2 in premiere Pro on my old Win 7 computer.

I'm curious, could you load some out of camera footage somewhere so I could take a look at it? Dropbox, google drive, etc. are suitable free places .
I got it working with adobe using mp4. Interesting that mp4 did not work before. Not sure what changed. thanks for help

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes