DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color enhancement for Mavic Mini?

Paleomanjim

Reactions
Not sure if ND filters would help improve the natural colors in videos like this. The video was taken last week at a scenic view point for Craters of the Moon NM in Idaho. While driving I usually am wearing sunglasses and often notice that scenery looks much more vibrant while wearing glasses, colors more intense and clouds more distinctive. No idea why that is, but when I remove my sunglasses the scene never looks as impressive. I bought a set of ND filters for my Mavic Mini a month ago and tried them out for several flights but did not like using manual settings for long videos because of changing light conditions during a flight. Great for photos perhaps. My understanding is that the ND filters are primarily used for motion blur and I actually prefer the sharper image without the blur so I have not used them since. The reviews I read state that ND filters do nothing to improve contrast or color enhancement. That is probably true, but curious how wearing sunglasses appear to do just that. And the ND filters are just sunglasses for the camera. In any case, the video below is a bit washed out compared to what I was actually seeing wearing sunglasses. Not sure if there are any other tricks to getter better colors. I have not tried using the white balance, perhaps that might help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if ND filters would help improve the natural colors in videos like this. The video was taken last week at a scenic view point for Craters of the Moon NM in Idaho. While driving I usually am wearing sunglasses and often notice that scenery looks much more vibrant while wearing glasses, colors more intense and clouds more distinctive. No idea why that is, but when I remove my sunglasses the scene never looks as impressive. I bought a set of ND filters for my Mavic Mini a month ago and tried them out for several flights but did not like using manual settings for long videos because of changing light conditions during a flight. Great for photos perhaps. My understanding is that the ND filters are primarily used for motion blur and I actually prefer the sharper image without the blur so I have not used them since. The reviews I read state that ND filters do nothing to improve contrast or color enhancement. That is probably true, but curious how wearing sunglasses appear to do just that. And the ND filters are just sunglasses for the camera. In any case, the video below is a bit washed out compared to what I was actually seeing wearing sunglasses. Not sure if there are any other tricks to getter better colors. I have not tried using the white balance, perhaps that might help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Polarized filter. Things look better through your sunglasses because they are polarized. Get a circular polarized filter for the same effect.

If things look washed out then reduce your exposure value. You don’t have to be in manual mode to do this.

Last but most important if you want to i
Prove your colors than you should color correct in post. Your video looks properly exposed they are just a little flat. They look like a good neutral place to start for post processing though.

Reactions: Davyc
All ND filters do is reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor. So if on a bright sunny day I want to shoot at slower shutter speeds or larger apertures I'll put on an ND filter.
Your video looks a fraction over exposed, but nothing that can't be fixed in post production editing. As has been said, what you have there is a good starting point for some colour correction and grading.

I am not the best at explaining things so I hope this makes sense.

You have it the wrong way round with auto & manual, you say “but did not like using manual settings for long videos because of changing light conditions during a flight. “
If you use auto the settings can change drastically during a flight depending on the lighting conditions creating a jump in brightness in your video, manual on the other hand keeps things looking natural, yes things may brighten or darken when you change direction but it will be a more natural transition.

A polarizing filter can enhance colours but the effect will change if you rotate your drone, they are great on a stills camera because once set you don't move it until you take the shot but unless you fly in a straight line the effect will change.

All a ND filter dose is let you lower your shutter speed, if they change the colour of your shots then they are not good ones.

Reactions: Drumsagard
I find adjusting colour, contrast etc is always more effective post production. I use Adobe Lightroom. Not cheap and not the easiest learning curve but superb results.

I find adjusting colour, contrast etc is always more effective post production. I use Adobe Lightroom. Not cheap and not the easiest learning curve but superb results.
Can you add a virtual polarising filter post production?

Definitely sounds like you have 'Polarised' sunglasses. When I take mine off I always feel like the natural view looks hazy or bland (although brighter). Amazon etc sell Polarised filters for the MM and seem a lot cheaper than N.D's

Litchi allows to adjust contrast, sharpness and saturation - options that are otherwise unavailable on the mini.
Hi! Have anyone tried to make a "flat-ish profile" with those adjustments in order to get better colour grading in post?
or the controls in litchi are just gimmicks?
(still could not test litchi by myself because running android 10)
Cheers

Litchi allows to adjust contrast, sharpness and saturation - options that are otherwise unavailable on the mini.
Have you tested those with an actual video yet? I know you said you could see the screen view changing when you set those, but the SDK is just a gateway to code that's already in the Mini's firmware, so it's surprising that the SDK would support features that DJI Fly doesn't.

Have you tested those with an actual video yet? I know you said you could see the screen view changing when you set those, but the SDK is just a gateway to code that's already in the Mini's firmware, so it's surprising that the SDK would support features that DJI Fly doesn't.
That's exactly my point... Or to better say, Mi question haha. If anyone would like to upload a simple video tweaking those options, would be awesome! I'm waiting a new phone to use litchi because pixel 4xl won't connect with DJI servers. So frustrating

Can you add a virtual polarising filter post production?
True you can't add polarisation post production but you can achieve the same effect, if not better with the many aspects of colour/contrast/brighness/temperature, white balance adjustments, etc that Lightroom has. A polarisation filter on a drone is limited anyway since it only lets the vertical lightwaves through and screens the horizontal to prevent the glare that washes out the colour. This can only work when the camera is level with the horizon so when the gimbal moves from centre it doesn't work properly

Not sure if there are any other tricks to getter better colors. I have not tried using the white balance, perhaps that might help. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Hi Paleomanjim,
I did it for you! Some color corrections and now it looks way better! What do you think about it?
cheers Paul

BTW ND filters do not at all change colors. They only regulate the light incidence on the sensor! The best one for sunny weather is ND 16 with 1/60 shutter speed and 30fps!

Reactions: ff22
Hi Paleomanjim,
I did it for you! Some color corrections and now it looks way better! What do you think about it?
cheers Paul

BTW ND filters do not at all change colors. They only regulate the light incidence on the sensor! The best one for sunny weather is ND 16 with 1/60 shutter speed and 30fps!

Wow, that is impressive. I watched them both side by side and your color corrections really made a difference. The green trees and the sky appear much more vibrant. I am using iMovie for editing and I am not sure if iMovie has that capability but I will look into it. Does it take long to do the color corrections? Thanks much to you and everyone else for the comments, I am learning new things for sure.

True you can't add polarisation post production but you can achieve the same effect, if not better with the many aspects of colour/contrast/brighness/temperature, white balance adjustments, etc that Lightroom has. A polarisation filter on a drone is limited anyway since it only lets the vertical lightwaves through and screens the horizontal to prevent the glare that washes out the colour. This can only work when the camera is level with the horizon so when the gimbal moves from centre it doesn't work properly

You most definitely can not achieve in post processing the effects of a polarizer. If you fly over water at the right angle the water may be vibrant and transparent with, or full of reflections and washed out without; there is no way you can bring that info back in post.

True that you can not always get the Max effect from the polarizer on a drone, but still in does make a big difference in some cases, most noticeable being over water and blue skies from the right angle.
That works the same both for stills and video

Last edited:
Wow, that is impressive. I watched them both side by side and your color corrections really made a difference. The green trees and the sky appear much more vibrant. I am using iMovie for editing and I am not sure if iMovie has that capability but I will look into it. Does it take long to do the color corrections? Thanks much to you and everyone else for the comments, I am learning new things for sure.
Hi, glad you like it :) iMovie surely also has the color correction option! The only thing I did is enhance the colors, it´s easy, and rather fast, try it!
cheers Paul

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej