DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Colorgrade HDR vs D-Cinelike

dronecrasher

Reactions
Hi!

Could I get the same results with D-Cinelike as I do with the HDR mode if expose correct and have some basic experience with color grading? Because HDR doesn't let me choose anything manually, like the ISO etc.

How is your experience with HDR in post processing? Do you adjust the colors/sharpness etc or use it as is for your final product?

Hi!

Could I get the same results with D-Cinelike as I do with the HDR mode if expose correct and have some basic experience with color grading? Because HDR doesn't let me choose anything manually, like the ISO etc.

How is your experience with HDR in post processing? Do you adjust the colors/sharpness etc or use it as is for your final product?

HDR will outperform Cinelike when filming
- In magic hour
- Into the sun
- A scene with half sun, half shadow

Cinelike will outperform HDR when filming
- in bright sunlight with few shadows
- scenes that do not require high dynamic range

No camera setting is “always best”.

HDR will outperform Cinelike when filming
- In magic hour
- Into the sun
- A scene with half sun, half shadow

Cinelike will outperform HDR when filming
- in bright sunlight with few shadows
- scenes that do not require high dynamic range

No camera setting is “always best”.
What are you basing these statements upon?
Are they specific to the MA2's actual HDR and Cinelike settings that you have tested, or are you merely making assumptions based upon how you believe they should work?

What are you basing these statements upon?
Are they specific to the MA2's actual HDR and Cinelike settings that you have tested, or are you merely making assumptions based upon how you believe they should work?
I’m basing it on my experience with my MA2. Try it out for yourself, it’s not hard to see.

Hi!

I'm currently evaluating this as well. I'm finding that the HDR under golden hour shooting conditions produces exaggerated color artifacts which remind me of default output from Photomatix from about 15 years ago. I've done some daylight filming in D-Cinelike mode at about +1.0 EV, and I'm blown away by the results after applying default color adjustments in DaVinci Resolve.

I’m basing it on my experience with my MA2. Try it out for yourself, it’s not hard to see.
FilmDroneGuide reported that the HDR video mode opened up the shadows but blew out the highlights, is not a true HDR, and said he would never use it, because it resulted in overexposure from blending the overexposed frame with properly exposed one!.

FilmDroneGuide reported that the HDR video mode opened up the shadows but blew out the highlights, is not a true HDR, and said he would never use it, because it resulted in overexposure from blending the overexposed frame with properly exposed one!.
I’m definitely seeing overexposure in the HDR footage which I’ve taken in the bright/midday sun.

I’m check out the FilmDroneGuide review. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I saw some (what I thought was) awesome HDR footage from the MA2, which convinced me to buy this drone...

Unfortunately, in my own testing I find HDR to be hyper-saturated, over exposed and difficult to correct in post. A disappointing parlor trick. At the very least it is difficult to match to the D-Cine footage, which is a treat to work with.

I will be using D-Cine with manual exposure for 99% of my work. And I'm not sure when the other 1% will ever occur to me.

I'm currently evaluating this as well. I'm finding that the HDR under golden hour shooting conditions produces exaggerated color artifacts which remind me of default output from Photomatix from about 15 years ago. I've done some daylight filming in D-Cinelike mode at about +1.0 EV, and I'm blown away by the results after applying default color adjustments in DaVinci Resolve.
What are your starting adjustments for D-Cinelike in Davinci? I've tried a few things and not been very happy with the output. I'm new to D-Cinelike and landscapes and I'm having a rough first couple of steps.

@luminous - I just selected Color>Auto color from the main menu. I've also played around a little with the tools in the Color mode, but I couldn't advise of a good starting point. I'm only just started learning DaVinci.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143