DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Combined movements

Cinebird

Reactions
In real estate, one of the classic movements is going up while tilting down the gimbal or going down while tilting up the gimbal. In mode 2, going up is done with the left stick. Controlling the gimbal is done through the gimbal dial which is also located at the left side of the remote control. This means that the combined movement is done with the left hand only. And this sucks in my opinion. What if we could have the opportunity to switch the function of the dials so that the the gimbal could be controlled by the right hand while in the same time the left hand would control the lift of the drone. Another solution for this kind of shot is temporally switch to mode 1: right stick (hand-thumb) for lifting the drone and left hand (thumb) to control the gimbal. Any thoughts about this?

In real estate, one of the classic movements is going up while tilting down the gimbal or going down while tilting up the gimbal. In mode 2, going up is done with the left stick. Controlling the gimbal is done through the gimbal dial which is also located at the left side of the remote control. This means that the combined movement is done with the left hand only. And this sucks in my opinion. What if we could have the opportunity to switch the function of the dials so that the the gimbal could be controlled by the right hand while in the same time the left hand would control the lift of the drone. Another solution for this kind of shot is temporally switch to mode 1: right stick (hand-thumb) for lifting the drone and left hand (thumb) to control the gimbal. Any thoughts about this?
I’m not connected with the company other than being a semi-beta tester with my Mavic Pro, but the FT Aviator will solve your problems. One handed flight controls, other hand camera - including proportional tilt.

Jake

You're not going to like my answer and it's not meant to be offensive in any way...... But you can't cheat the system with short cuts and work arounds. What you are trying to get around is the very basic and simplest coordinated maneuver you can shoot. You're probably not going to like the following suggestion either ....but it's what took me from beginner to almost no one can do what I can do now when it comes to coordinated drone/camera shots ... Go to an open field. Pick two points about 100 yards apart. Learn to fly a perfect orbit around each point in a figure 8 pattern while changing altitude up and down the whole time and keeping camera centered on each point with smooth transitions from each point throughout the figure 8. Perfect in tripod mode first... then move to p mode to learn the limitations of drone speed vs camera capabilities for smooth vid. Get this down and what you're trying to avoid today will give you a laugh in a few months. You can't avoid putting in the "work" to develope the skills for your desired results. Cheat this , program that, use automated this automated that, switch this button reverse that button.....in 10 years you will still be struggling to figure out how to cheat your next shot that requires something you can't do from all the years of never learning how to fly full spectrum coordinated manual skill shots. Again.... No offense.... Have a great day

Last edited:
There are probably a few IFRs that will accomplish what you want, like POI or active track. Even quickshot might be able to accomplish the task. Perhaps only going up, but you can reverse in post if you want to show a decending shot.

You're not going to like my answer and it's not meant to be offensive in any way...... But you can't cheat the system with short cuts and work arounds. What you are trying to get around is the very basic and simplest coordinated maneuver you can shoot. You're probably not going to like the following suggestion either ....but it's what took me from beginner to almost no one can do what I can do now when it comes to coordinated drone/camera shots ... Go to an open field. Pick two points about 100 yards apart. Learn to fly a perfect orbit around each point in a figure 8 pattern while changing altitude up and down the whole time and keeping camera centered on each point with smooth transitions from each point throughout the figure 8. Perfect in tripod mode first... then move to p mode to learn the limitations of drone speed vs camera capabilities for smooth vid. Get this down and what you're trying to avoid today will give you a laugh in a few months. You can't avoid putting in the "work" to develope the skills for your desired results. Cheat this , program that, use automated this automated that, switch this button reverse that button.....in 10 years you will still be struggling to figure out how to cheat your next shot that requires something you can't do from all the years of never learning how to fly full spectrum coordinated manual skill shots. Again.... No offense.... Have a great day
I don't feel offended but you have understood me completely wrong. It is not that I am not able those movements, at the contrary: it is the speed of handling and precision of those movements that I am talking about. I really do master my drone: I almost aways fly without obstacle avoidance and I have a fix contract for a real estate agency in South France. But since I was a cinematographer in the first place working on very precise Tripods like Sachtler, I want my camera movements to be as perfect as possible. I see too many imprecise movements in drone clips around. With the Inspire system with its dual operation system, it is total different world of controlling the camera. My point was: if the dial wheels could have been programmable it would be a benefit. I have expressed me wrongly, sorry. Please feel free to look at my two latest real estate clips with the Mavic 2 Pro. Have a nice day as well! :)

Reactions: LongRifle and okw
These are actually some great shots, @Cinebird! For a "crane" shot, I would:
  1. Start the aircraft at a slightly lower altitude than desired.
  2. Start ascending at the rate you desire.
  3. Very, very slowly rotate the gimbal tilt dial until the tilt rate is what you want.

I don't feel offended but you have understood me completely wrong. It is not that I am not able those movements, at the contrary: it is the speed of handling and precision of those movements that I am talking about. I really do master my drone: I almost aways fly without obstacle avoidance and I have a fix contract for a real estate agency in South France. But since I was a cinematographer in the first place working on very precise Tripods like Sachtler, I want my camera movements to be as perfect as possible. I see too many imprecise movements in drone clips around. With the Inspire system with its dual operation system, it is total different world of controlling the camera. My point was: if the dial wheels could have been programmable it would be a benefit. I have expressed me wrongly, sorry. Please feel free to look at my two latest real estate clips with the Mavic 2 Pro. Have a nice day as well! :)

I did misread your post and made some assumptions that were incorrect. I apologise for that. Truth is I'm getting old (57) and see so many of the younger generations (my kid included) that don't want to put in the effort to do anything that requires work.... But instead tries to do anything to get out of it or circumvent it. I made wrong assumption here for sure. Beautiful vids by the way. I wish there was a 3rd wheel on controller for camera pan left/right ?. Have a great day.

I did misread your post and made some assumptions that were incorrect. I apologise for that. Truth is I'm getting old (57) and see so many of the younger generations (my kid included) that don't want to put in the effort to do anything that requires work.... But instead tries to do anything to get out of it or circumvent it. I made wrong assumption here for sure. Beautiful vids by the way. I wish there was a 3rd wheel on controller for camera pan left/right ?. Have a great day.
No harm. I surely didn't express myself in a very subtile way since English is not my native language. By the way, we have the same age... it's not that old... :)

These are actually some great shots, @Cinebird! For a "crane" shot, I would:
  1. Start the aircraft at a slightly lower altitude than desired.
  2. Start ascending at the rate you desire.
  3. Very, very slowly rotate the gimbal tilt dial until the tilt rate is what you want.
That's exactly what I am doing! Thanks. I expressed myself badly: it is doable the way the RC is layed out for now but having the choice which dial does what would be great in my humble opinion. Two hands handling two precise movements is better than only one hand doing it while the other hand does nothing. I am practicing also more complicated movements: quarter circle while ascending while keeping the POI in the middle of the frame. For that, I need both sticks to do the circle + ascending and the dial to tilt down the gimbal. It is great but needs some practice....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0