DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Common sense. Wind speed for Mavic 2

bonmot

Reactions
Yesterday was 17km (11miles) /hour. Mavic 2 had no problem. But I can see it was tilting to lock into position.

By your experience, at what wind speed I should stop flying. I am only 2 weeks into this hobby. Just want to be safe and aware of what other people do.

Thanks

The M2 is a very stable aircraft, but good to keep restraint.
And your drone !!
The official recommended wind speed for it is 29–38 kph, which is quite a lot.
Always check forecast wind speed at various altitude too, and watch gusts . . . but more importantly watch you little attitude angle on the screen.
It really comes down to watching this as you ascend and if you see the tilt getting a bit extreme, bring it down to a safer level again.
A major tilt in attitude (the blue ‘bowl’) . . .

T2GEjZnj8S7UCdv8A

Keep being conservative.
I still am after 3 years or so, but did recently push my M1P more than I would normally, to get some special footage I wanted.
I knew how to fly it back safely, or be prepared to land and retrieve if my judgement was off.

Yesterday was 17km (11miles) /hour. Mavic 2 had no problem. But I can see it was tilting to lock into position.

By your experience, at what wind speed I should stop flying. I am only 2 weeks into this hobby. Just want to be safe and aware of what other people do.

Thanks
You can always use the app ”UAV Forecast” if you are not shure to fly. It’s not an absolute forecast but It gives you a hint if it’s possible or foolish.

Thanks
You have the specs in the users manual then as said the attitude meter in GO4 to this your common sense ... "skip flying a windy day to fly more another". Get experience both over how your AC behaves in winds & how to act if you took the wrong decision. And lastly ... it's the wind WERE you fly that counts, not what's on ground level or what a weather app tells you.

Reactions: Gindra
The M2 is a very stable aircraft, but good to keep restraint.
And your drone !!
The official recommended wind speed for it is 29–38 kph, which is quite a lot.
Always check forecast wind speed at various altitude too, and watch gusts . . . but more importantly watch you little attitude angle on the screen.
It really comes down to watching this as you ascend and if you see the tilt getting a bit extreme, bring it down to a safer level again.
A major tilt in attitude (the blue ‘bowl’) . . .

T2GEjZnj8S7UCdv8A

Keep being conservative.
I still am after 3 years or so, but did recently push my M1P more than I would normally, to get some special footage I wanted.
I knew how to fly it back safely, or be prepared to land and retrieve if my judgement was off.
Thank you for pointing out the blue bowl.
Never noticed it. Even I did, I wouldn’t have known how to interpret it.

You can always use the app ”UAV Forecast” if you are not shure to fly. It’s not an absolute forecast but It gives you a hint if it’s possible or foolish.
Ok I will get the app on my phone and iPad. Thanks a lot.

The Userguide for the Mavic 2 Pro lists a lot of operational spec's (v2.0 - page 62) ... Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
The spec' you need to take note of is; 'Max Wind Speed Resistance' which is quoted as 29-38 Kph (18 to 24 mph).
I'm not sure why this is quoted with such a spread (9kph / 6mph), but this number is in essence, the speed which DJI recommend is the max wind speed the drone should be flown in. Analysis of flight logs posted in this forum do lead to the calculation of wind speed and direction influencing the drone during the flight segment being analysed - so I assume that this 'specification' will be relevant if there are any warranty claims made upon DJI after the loss of a Mavic.

Reactions: offshorecl1
The Userguide for the Mavic 2 Pro lists a lot of operational spec's (v2.0 - page 62) ... Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
The spec' you need to take note of is; 'Max Wind Speed Resistance' which is quoted as 29-38 Kph (18 to 24 mph).
I'm not sure why this is quoted with such a spread (9kph / 6mph), but this number is in essence, the speed which DJI recommend is the max wind speed the drone should be flown in. Analysis of flight logs posted in this forum do lead to the calculation of wind speed and direction influencing the drone during the flight segment being analysed - so I assume that this 'specification' will be relevant if there are any warranty claims made upon DJI after the loss of a Mavic.
29KM/h or 38KM/h must be paired with other conditions.

It is a good App and free. I like the quick rule showing deal or no deal.

It is a good App and free. I like the quick rule showing deal or no deal.
Be aware that the UAV app doesn't tell you GO or NO GO ... it's you as every aspect that it tells you is & should be configured by yourself. So again into the spec sheet for the drone regarding what's the limits for everything shown in the app.

Try & hit one of those squares on the intro page in the app, take wind ... which altitude do you want to have, how strong wind can YOU allow, should gusts be included?

Just saying ...

Be aware that the UAV app doesn't tell you GO or NO GO ... it's you as every aspect that it tells you is & should be configured by yourself. So again into the spec sheet for the drone regarding what's the limits for everything shown in the app.

Try & hit one of those squares on the intro page in the app, take wind ... which altitude do you want to have, how strong wind can YOU allow, should gusts be included?

Just saying ...
Yes and thanks for the reminder. I set up my rules according to my Mavic 2 Zoom. Also set the wind speed check at 100ft.
It is a good tool that “no need to fight with yourself”.

29KM/h or 38KM/h must be paired with other conditions.
It's expressed as a 'range' in the manual ... any idea what the 'other conditions' are???

Thanks

We had a really strong South Easter the last few days, many trees were blown over and roofs were damaged. Depending on where you were it it is said the wind was between 60 and 80kph.
I have flown my Phantom 4 in strong wind but not that much, so I wanted to see how my new Mavic2 Pro would handle it. I never went very high but I must say it was surprisingly stable and never gave any problems.
Video attached

Thanks

Download UAV Forcast if you haven't already done so. Once you figure out your numbers you are comfortable with, you put them in as your limits and it tells you at a glance if you are safe to fly. You can put in your wind speed and gust, temperature, and a pile of other limits for it to consider for its recommendation. It's a pretty good app.

We had a really strong South Easter the last few days, many trees were blown over and roofs were damaged. Depending on where you were it it is said the wind was between 60 and 80kph.
I have flown my Phantom 4 in strong wind but not that much, so I wanted to see how my new Mavic2 Pro would handle it. I never went very high but I must say it was surprisingly stable and never gave any problems.
Video attached

That was so stable that I first thought it must be fake, like shot from a high balcony or something. It’s amazing that a drone as small as the M2P can handle that wind. As an owner of an M2P, I’m really happy to see that. Thanks for sharing.

Download UAV Forcast if you haven't already done so. Once you figure out your numbers you are comfortable with, you put them in as your limits and it tells you at a glance if you are safe to fly. You can put in your wind speed and gust, temperature, and a pile of other limits for it to consider for its recommendation. It's a pretty good app.
Yes, I am setting up my bar ... ...

This is the reason I always keep a Typhoon H available as a backup for commercial jobs. It is stable in 40mph+ winds. Save me on a couple of jobs where the winds were high and it was a one time situation to get the needed shot. Would never have tried it with the Mavic under the conditions.

We have been on a job in NY and winds have gusted between 18-42. The M2ED was fine in upper 25 and 30, I personally do not like to push it. We are also fighting snow and wet conditions the drone performed well in 18 to 32 winds anything over 32 gusting to 44 at one point would push the drone around a bit, we also equipped it with the Phantom Rain Wet Suite which has performed well.

It's expressed as a 'range' in the manual ... any idea what the 'other conditions' are???

Just my humble guess, but might there be a range of max wind speeds given, depending on flying mode (cinematic to sport)?

Reactions: FoxhallGH
...so I wanted to see how my new Mavic2 Pro would handle it.

”Wll, that’s a big gamble with a $30 million plane, Lieutenant.”
- Kelly McGillis (Charlie), Top Gun

Thanks for sharing the video. I look forward to seeing some coastal scenery you‘ll post from Cape Town!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy