DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Communication concerns

RDHarris

Reactions
I don't have an issue...just a question. Are there instances of, or are you ever concerned about losing communication very close to your launch point? Here's what makes me ask as I practice flying and photographing at my home. I set RTH at 150 to easily clear everything within miles of me. I launch from a point that is unobstructed to the moon. However, once airborne, I maneuver around my property at low altitude, sometimes that is beneath tree canopies. I'm only talking about 100 feet away and canopies that are 15-20 feet at a minimum. If communication was interrupted, the mini would head up into the tree. Is this something to be concerned about?

If I was going to be flying under Any canopy I would have it set to hover. You never know what will happen.

If you are within 60ft/20m and RTH is initiated, the mini will land - not return to home. You don't want to be over water or a pool and have it immediately land.

Here's the page in the manual (yellow) and also a reason there are so many blowaways often mistakenly called a flyaway. The mini RTH attempts to return home at 8m/s - 17mph. hopefully the wind at your set RTH altitude isn't more than that or it's going to be blownaway.

RTH Blowaway.jpg

as DC said if you intend to fly under trees then you would be better off setting the signal loss to hover
trees are the main enemy of drones and even more so when they are in leaf ,the moisture in the tree IE Sap absorbs the radio signal and scatters it
really when flying in forestry you should be fairly close to the drone and in tripod mode or c mode on the MM ,this will enable you to have more control over the drones reactions to given stick inputs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut