DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compact ND lens filter case

NYCMAV

Reactions
Does anybody have any ideas for an ultra compact case for ND filters? Something to compliment a minimalist set up. I have the four piece taco lens set on the way, but already know the provided case is bigger than what I would like. Thanks!

I would like to suggest making your own case - start with a SMALLER Snap_to_close case...you can find them in the sewing or Fishing tackle area of Walmart, or Hobby lobby or "Michael's" if you have any nearby. You can even add your own sponge foam (static free, if possible) from the same stores to put into your box to gently secure your filters...but rest filters glass side towards foam so they wont get scratched up.

If you go this route, look for the smooth, softer boxes. Plastic boxes get brittle with age and tend to crack. Similar small size storages cases in fishing aisles run about a dollar or Two, and they maybe compartmentalized..with spaces just big enough for holding each filter..but always pad them to protect your filters.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any ideas for an ultra compact case for ND filters? Something to compliment a minimalist set up. I have the four piece taco lens set on the way, but already know the provided case is bigger than what I would like. Thanks!
Did you find a solution? I'm in the same boat as you. Would like something slim to go into the MC-Cases Compact. See those two thin spots above the Mavic in the picture below? that's a perfect spot to put my filters in a thin case.
3-dji-mavic-compact-case-mc-cases-.jpg

I have the taco filters on the way as well, I'd be interested in what people are using. I wonder if it would fit in a larger contact case? or maybe a small mint box and just add your own padding and protection to it. I'm sure you can also 3D print something and just customize it yourself.

I believe that Dynamic3D are bringing one out for the Mavic PP filters which will hopefully take the Taco ones I have. Nice compact tube design even though I would prefer a nicer finish compared to 3D Printed.

This is the one for the Inspire filters.

Dynamic 3D Solutions

I'm working on a 3D design, not like the Inspire cylindrical one mentioned above but a small flat square design that will use the foam that comes with the Taco NDs. I like the Taco case but it won't fit anywhere in either of my Mavic cases. I'm designing it to fit one of the slots in the Go Professional Case, will let you know when it's done.
IMG_0513.PNG

Just a thought. There is considerable space in the lid of the box with clearance to the stuff below. I was able to cut out a bit of foam in the lid, put in a thin pad and a velcro strap and easily secure my Acer 7" tablet to the inside of the lid without it coming even close to the drone mounted below. I have a set of Taco filters on order and my plan is to cut a little square of lid foam out (the exact size of the Taco storage case), contact cement in a tab of velcro to the lid, a mating piece to the back of the Taco case and it will sit tucked in that spot. The only pieces (at least in my PolarPro case) that press into the lid foam are the batteries so I have to stay clear of that area.

To me, the lid is a great place to mount thin stuff ( I would venture up to 3/4" thick)

IMG_2729.JPG

This is for my Acer Iconia One 7 tablet that is a dedicated controller. I will mount the Taco case somewhere in there where it does not interfere with the two impressions you can see where the batteries meet the lid.

I cut the foam out where needed. Used contact cement to attach the velcro strap and then some spray adhesive to install the thin foam matt you see there. The face of the table rests against that matt

Hey guys finally had time to finish a design I've been working on. It's a slim case for the Taco ND Filters for the Mavic Pro. The case that ships with the filters is great but it won't fit in either of the cases I have for my Mavic. I designed it to fit in one of the small accessory holes in the GPC Go Professional case. Dimensions are L 80mm, W 43.5mm and H 34mm.

It's here on Thingiverse for anyone to download.

I know many of you are waiting on your 6 filter set (with the added UV and ND64). I'll remix this design to fit 6 filters as soon as I can.

Enjoy!
FullSizeRender[2].jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[3].jpg

I just finished this case for my PolarPro Mavic filters. I bought a Pelican compact memory card case on Amazon. I used 7mm and 2mm foam for the filter holder section and 5mm for the lid. I cut out the holes with a 3/4" to 1/2" copper pipe adapter that I sharpened on the inside. I used a 3/8" brass pipe for the finger slots. I also made a template that I printed on self adhesive paper, cut out the holes, and stuck it to the foam as a guide. Make sure to cut the 3/8" holes first, than cut out the larger ones afterwards. It didn't take all that long to do. I think it's pretty compact and tight for a 8 filter holder.

Attachments

• IMG_5518.JPG
    IMG_5518.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 78
I have not bought my filters yet but I did see where someone suggested contact lens cases. I'm not sure how well it might fir but is small, durable & cheap. Just a thought.

I love my case set up. It was fun to come up with it and make. I like tinkering and designing things.
Though not cheap, it certainly is strong, nice fitting and sleek.IMG_5586.jpgIMG_5587.jpg

Reactions: MA-Pilots
I love my case set up. It was fun to come up with it and make. I like tinkering and designing things.
Though not cheap, it certainly is strong, nice fitting and sleek.View attachment 23139View attachment 23140
I really liked this design so I purchased a case to make one myself. Where did you get the foam for the replacement inserts and do you have specs for the best type? If I can find it I'd really like to use the same material that comes with the PolarPro filters. Thanks!

Reactions: Rodzilla
I just ordered my filter set last night, I am thinking about useing one of those 7 day extra large pill cases, possibly lined with thin microfiber. Then I can sink that in the hard case I want (still looking for that ;) ). the pill case is small enough to still fit in my cargo pants for easy transport and access

I really liked this design so I purchased a case to make one myself. Where did you get the foam for the replacement inserts and do you have specs for the best type? If I can find it I'd really like to use the same material that comes with the PolarPro filters. Thanks!

I purchased the 2mm and 5mm foam sheets at the local Hobby Lobby. I got the 7mm on eBay. Good luck!

OK, so I’ve been here! I bought a plastic 6 section pill box from eBay. I took the foam from the original filter box (PolarPro) and cut it to fit the sections. The great news is that the box fits perfectly into a spare MP battery slot. I’m away from home at the moment, but will post better pictures this weekend. It works brilliantly (as long as you don’t have more than 6 filters). I’m in the UK, but the identical boxes are available in the US too.

Attachments

• 0BB217C3-6E48-458C-860F-F4639ED127B5.png
    0BB217C3-6E48-458C-860F-F4639ED127B5.png
    782.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 4C9FE45B-0B74-47E1-A34C-73E942B3F301.png
    4C9FE45B-0B74-47E1-A34C-73E942B3F301.png
    899.3 KB · Views: 41
C33949F3-FFC6-47E2-A439-F118888B92D7.jpeg A51A8DEF-8487-4DFA-A927-229FCE64CCB5.jpeg 19E3E415-C507-428C-A62E-F6A9E4410A84.jpeg Here is my filter box in situ. I provided links in my previous post. Cheap as chips and works really well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121