DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration Dance?

Ron_Dog

Reactions
I've seen 2 diffrent ways to calibrate the compas on the Mavic Pro. One is a guy holds the drone out and spins around in a circle,then points it down and spins around again. The next one they spin the drone around while holding it out infront of them,then point it down and spin it around again while holding it out in front of them again!:confused: What method is correct?

Look like there's 3 methods now?

Last edited:
IMG_0235.GIF Ha ha,
Seriously though there are a small number of ways.
Pick one do it right then forget about it unless your MP tells you clearly it needs redoing.
Do it out in the open in a field clear of any magnetic disturbance.
Long threads on here regarding doing it every flight, read up on them and choose wisely.
My stance on this is once only unless something drastic has happened with Compass.

Reactions: DavidinMN
View attachment 18146 Ha ha,
Seriously though there are a small number of ways.
Pick one do it right then forget about it unless your MP tells you clearly it needs redoing.
Do it out in the open in a field clear of any magnetic disturbance.
Long threads on here regarding doing it every flight, read up on them and choose wisely.
My stance on this is once only unless something drastic has happened with Compass.
Thanks,Michael,I really appreciate the advice! Is there any information on updating the battries in the forum? I really don't understand how to do it? If it's something that needs to be done?

Thanks,Michael,I really appreciate the advice! Is there any information on updating the battries in the forum? I really don't understand how to do it? If it's something that needs to be done?
Nothing to it - if a firmware update includes the batteries, the one on the drone when you updated will automatically be done. For the rest of your batteries, the first time you use them. you will get a slider switch asking if you want to update it. Simply slide it to yes and it does it.

Nothing to it - if a firmware update includes the batteries, the one on the drone when you updated will automatically be done. For the rest of your batteries, the first time you use them. you will get a slider switch asking if you want to update it. Simply slide it to yes and it does it.
Thank you!

IMG_0236.PNG Just add this, this screen does not tell you to calibrate, it's only there to show you where if you get a warning to tell you to. The Compass shows Normal.
Do not be misled like a lot of people.

IMG_0240.PNG

IMG_0237.PNG Ok here is why you don't calibrate ad hoc.
Fired MP up inside on the table then moved it three feet onto the floor, check out the Compass readings.
If I calibrated inside or over any interference just think how badly I could screw things up.
Would be another case of "My drone took off and flew into a tree, it's not my fault must be DJI to blame"

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread since I my question related to the MP2 and if so I apologize in advance.

I just bought a Mavic Pro 2 and although I know this thread is over a year old and for the previous Mavic, I have a concern that I "think" this thread seems to address but am not sure.

Earlier, I had a P3S and when compass was calibrated on that drone, it seemed to be good until I moved to a significantly different location. Now it 'appears' to me that the MP2 is calling for compass calibration every time I start it just like as shown on the screen above. I was wondering if It really needs to be calibrated every time, even if I'm in the same location as last time (my yard). Or if the compass calibration is not getting saved somehow because of a problem in the drone. I can't find the screens you show with the excellent/good/poor colors so am not sure what's going on with it or if this is all normal for the MP2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme