DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration - Mavic Pro Platinum

Johansmi

Reactions
Generally when I do the start-up sequence for the Mavic Pro Platinum, and its controller and App, everything is fine, shows ready to go, flashing green on the drone, and everything is fine. Then, sometimes I get a "calibrate compass, please move aircraft" warning while in mid flight. Usually, I then do a 360 in hover and it recovers and continues to fly. This is however concerning for me so I tried a Compass Calibration as per some of the videos I discovered on this site, and on YouTube, BUT, here's my challenge. When I do the compass calibration, on horizontal calibration the light turns green, when doing the nose down calibration and upon completing the movement, the light turns red and the app indicates Calibration Failure. I've tried this several times away from magnetic interferences in different places, and the same result during calibration.

So, I can continue to fly when its showing all green, my concern is, why do I get this in flight calibrate compass message? I'm concerned that I may loose control if I don't get this sorted. Any advice? Something different I can try?

Generally when I do the start-up sequence for the Mavic Pro Platinum, and its controller and App, everything is fine, shows ready to go, flashing green on the drone, and everything is fine. Then, sometimes I get a "calibrate compass, please move aircraft" warning while in mid flight. Usually, I then do a 360 in hover and it recovers and continues to fly. This is however concerning for me so I tried a Compass Calibration as per some of the videos I discovered on this site, and on YouTube, BUT, here's my challenge. When I do the compass calibration, on horizontal calibration the light turns green, when doing the nose down calibration and upon completing the movement, the light turns red and the app indicates Calibration Failure. I've tried this several times away from magnetic interferences in different places, and the same result during calibration.

So, I can continue to fly when its showing all green, my concern is, why do I get this in flight calibrate compass message? I'm concerned that I may loose control if I don't get this sorted. Any advice? Something different I can try?
I have exactly the same issue with my Mavic Pro. The second part of the calibration with the drone on it's side almost always fails. When I say almost always, I mean I can get a successful calibration in the second orientation about once in 20 attempts. I don't have an answer, but I understand your problem.

I have exactly the same issue with my Mavic Pro. The second part of the calibration with the drone on it's side almost always fails. When I say almost always, I mean I can get a successful calibration in the second orientation about once in 20 attempts. I don't have an answer, but I understand your problem.

The compass calibration doesn't involve putting the drone on its side at any stage - could that be why it generally fails?

Sounds like you are describing IMU calibration rather than Compass Calibration here @Steady Eddie ... ???

First thing is to make sure that you do the Compass calibration out in the open where there is absolutely nothing metalic around ... even remove your watch if that's the hand you're going to be using to hold the Mavic. The manual implies that the Mavic should be spun on the spot to do the rotations - However, it's a whole lot easier to stand with the Mavic held horizontally out from you, nose pointing away, and you just slowly walk around it until the light goes green, then change grip to point the nose down, arm outstretched again - and walk around it the same way once more to get the process completed ... Good video showing this method here:

The compass calibration doesn't involve putting the drone on its side at any stage - could that be why it generally fails?
If you follow the DJI GO4 compass calibration, it tells you to first rotate the drone about it’s center axis as if it was in the normal hovering attitude. The second part of the procedure tells you to rotate the drone 90 dog on its fore/aft axis and then rotate the drone. That’s what I meant by “on its side”. Don’t know if I'm making myself clear. And no, I'm not referring to the IMU calibration.

If you follow the DJI GO4 compass calibration, it tells you to first rotate the drone about it’s center axis as if it was in the normal hovering attitude. The second part of the procedure tells you to rotate the drone 90 dog on its fore/aft axis and then rotate the drone. That’s what I meant by “on its side”. Don’t know if I'm making myself clear. And no, I'm not referring to the IMU calibration.
Sorry - in that case I misunderstood ... Have you tried the compass cali' method shown in the video in post # 5 above ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest