DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration Required Almost Every Flight

David Berger

Reactions
I have a Mini 1 and hadn't flown in for some time and of course it needed firmware updates and compass calibration. Over the past month or so I have flown about a dozen times and almost every time I need to re-calibrate the compass. A couple of 360's horizontally and vertically and it's good to go. No issues. I am basically flying from the same location each time and there isn't any obstructions or metal objects to affect the process. Have the new firmware updates in the last few months caused any issues? It's not a big deal to do it and is probably a good thing to do but I am just trying to understand the change.

Needed may be the key word in this instance. Updates can, at times create unwanted issues. Even when you read the release notes,
(which is a must prior to updating any DJI product) there may be something hiding in that package that #1. you may not need and
#2. that they have not disclosed. What I have learned with all the money I have handed over to DJI, everything is turned off that would allow any form of update to occur on its own and I wait until all the bugs have been located by the others that are willing to take those risks.

Your issues could very well be related to something other than whatever update was done and hopefully some useful information will follow from someone with that solution.

Reactions: fd123_2000
Thanks. I was looking to see if others are having the same issue or if there is possibly a problem with the AC (or the old guy flying it)....

I have a Mini 1 and hadn't flown in for some time and of course it needed firmware updates and compass calibration. Over the past month or so I have flown about a dozen times and almost every time I need to re-calibrate the compass. A couple of 360's horizontally and vertically and it's good to go. No issues. I am basically flying from the same location each time and there isn't any obstructions or metal objects to affect the process. Have the new firmware updates in the last few months caused any issues? It's not a big deal to do it and is probably a good thing to do but I am just trying to understand the change.
Hi,
I've been flying my mini since '19,, n it never needed to be calberated as often as it does these days. Probably update related.

Are you flying in same place as in your yard, or do you put it in a car and drive it somewhere to fly?

Are you flying in same place as in your yard, or do you put it in a car and drive it somewhere to fly?
I drive about a mile to a local park. The ac is in it’s case with the battery removed. ‘Tis is the same way I transported it before without any issues.

I drive about a mile to a local park. The ac is in it’s case with the battery removed. ‘Tis is the same way I transported it before without any issues.
Only asking because I get that error a lot when I put my Mavic 2 pro in my truck and take it somewhere, but not so much when driven placed on my SUV front floor board where my magnets are far from the aircraft during the drive . I think its the magnets in subwoofers and speakers, but it may be firmware in your case.

I'm in the same boat, just about anytime I fly with the mini (1), it requests a compass calibration

I have been experiencing the same issue with my Mini 1. Every time I fly it gives me the recalibration warning. What I have found is that if I ignore the warning and do not do a calibration I take off anyway and once at hover level after takeoff I check the calibration and it shows as normal and away I go. I am not anywhere near metal and it gives me the warning whether I am in the same spot time after time or recently 1500 km away in a wilderness forest,

I was getting compass errors and having to calibrate it every time out until I bought the CFix and demagged my Mavic PP ,It worked for me .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123