DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration...Your Observations.

Top Hat

Reactions
Do you really need to do a Compass Cal every time you move to new location?
My assessment/Observations w/ my own MP is, I don't need to even when given a SW warning that I have to.
Background, I live in N CA and after I received my MP last 03 2017 I perform the initial Cal (IMU/Compass).
Flew it around N CA then took it to 4 islands of Hawaii, proceeded to Canada BC all the way to Victoria and back to N CA via road trip (Washington,Oregon,N CA) last summer. Now I just got back from the Philippines, Zamboanga to be precise, not once that I needed to do another Compass Cal in any of those places. I did a get a warning a few times of Compass Error and Interference, but by just moving the MP a few feet away from the problem spot it'll just go away. What I'm trying to say here is that, you don't need to do a Cal every time you move to diff location; maybe sometimes you get a SW warning that you need to Cal, just try to move your MP a few feet away from that spot and see what happened. Maybe you have a diff observations w/ your own MP regarding this so, please share.

Reactions: BossBob
What I'm trying to say here is that, you don't need to do a Cal every time you move to diff location; maybe sometimes you get a SW warning that you need to Cal, just try to move your MP a few feet away from that spot and see what happened.
Good advice. More information about what you're saying can be found in the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide. It's a compilation of information from the many meetings of the minds here and over at Phantom Pilots.

Mmmmmm... I sure wish there was a clear cut answer to this issue.... I traveled around the south pacific a couple of years ago... Easter Island, Tahiti (several islands) Rarotonga (Cook Islands) New Calendonia, Vanuatu... blah blah blah...point is lots of places, far far apart. Lots of flights with a Phantom 4. Not once did I get a prompt for a compass calibrate... I did check if the IMu and Compass were okay. Yet now I have a Mavic Air and it seems almost every flight session, I am prompted for a recalibration. There does not seem to be a clear consensus...

Do you really need to do a Compass Cal every time you move to new location?
My assessment/Observations w/ my own MP is, I don't need to even when given a SW warning that I have to.
Background, I live in N CA and after I received my MP last 03 2017 I perform the initial Cal (IMU/Compass).
Flew it around N CA then took it to 4 islands of Hawaii, proceeded to Canada BC all the way to Victoria and back to N CA via road trip (Washington,Oregon,N CA) last summer. Now I just got back from the Philippines, Zamboanga to be precise, not once that I needed to do another Compass Cal in any of those places. I did a get a warning a few times of Compass Error and Interference, but by just moving the MP a few feet away from the problem spot it'll just go away. What I'm trying to say here is that, you don't need to do a Cal every time you move to diff location; maybe sometimes you get a SW warning that you need to Cal, just try to move your MP a few feet away from that spot and see what happened. Maybe you have a diff observations w/ your own MP regarding this so, please share.

I only perform the calibration when the app instructs me to do so. Others here will probably disagree but that has worked for me.

I only perform the calibration when the app instructs me to do so. Others here will probably disagree but that has worked for me.
Bought my Mavic Pro and never perform calibration. It never ask me to it. I leave this thing intact. I flew it couple times and is Rock solid in the air.

Reactions: BossBob
I flew today and asked me to calibrate and I did it. Only one time folks and that's it

Anyone's Mavic Air prompting for calibration more often than say M Pro or P4?

My MPP and P4P have each requested calibration once since I have owned them. I have traveled extensively with both drones.

Thanks. Hummmm. Yeah about the same for me. And l dont wait for the prompt. I often check sensor status, IMU and compass. Habit from having a Phantom 2 l guess. But my Mavic Air seems to want a calibration almost every session. It is often far from last but still. Maybe l will move it even further from backpack etc.

I used to calibrate every time I flew, not knowing any better, and this was after watching numerous you tube videos on the steps on how to fly the MP. Now every time I fly I do not calibrate the compass unless it asks, never has since the last time 3 months ago. So us newbies will calibrate the compass every time we fly until we read about it here and learn better that it does not have be done.

Reactions: Black Mama
I turn the MP on let everything connect, put it on the landing pad, wait for green gps signal, 15 to 21 sats connected, then fly, all is good with the compass.

Reactions: Clinton1
Anyone's Mavic Air prompting for calibration more often than say M Pro or P4?
Mine often won't let me take off unless I calibrate the compass. A lot of other people are also running into this issue.

Reactions: tiparoch
Mine often won't let me take off unless I calibrate the compass. A lot of other people are also running into this issue.

Same, my MP never asks and I never bother. My MA is constant, it’s actually aggravating

I just flew through 3 batteries did not calibrate compass. Ran batteries to 15% all 3 and still have 67% left on rc controller and 71% on the iPad. Dead calm no winds down or up above. Really nice afternoon to fly finally.

Reactions: tiparoch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas