DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration

Laggard

Reactions
I read a few compass calibration threads which were helpful. Most were about being required to calibrate every single flight. There was no clear consensus though as to whether or not it’s actually really necessary. So, since I’m asked to calibrate every single flight, is it safe not to do so?

Not need to do it every single time before flight. Do it after firmware update and when aplication will ask you.

if you are being asked to calibrate every time you fly ,are you talking about the same spot or in different places ,it could be that you are wearing something that is very magnetic such as an i watch

Doubtful that you are being asked every time you fly. Is it possible you are reading something somewhere that tells you that?

Doubtful that you are being asked every time you fly. Is it possible you are reading something somewhere that tells you that?
No, before launch the app tells me I need to calibrate first. Flying from different locations. I don’t wear a watch. Maybe it’s the hardware they used to put my wrist back together after I broke it. That would be non magnetic titanium I’m guessing.

I read a few compass calibration threads which were helpful. Most were about being required to calibrate every single flight. There was no clear consensus though as to whether or not it’s actually really necessary. So, since I’m asked to calibrate every single flight, is it safe not to do so?
As you seems to be truly interested in this with the compass ... I recommend a reading in this post --> A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Then some quick thing's ...

A compass calibration is only negotiating the internal magnetic field in the drone it self ... a lot of thing's internally is magnetic so those fields needs to be deducted in order for the compass to accurately measure correctly.

So ... a compass calibration is only needed when something regarding the crafts own mag field have changed, like if you have put on or taken off any extra equipment.

Then ... DJI have in some firmware's introduced a scheduled calibration prompt regulated by either days since the last calibration or if you have moved over a certain distance from the place where the last calibration was performed. Both of these reasons for calibrations is unnecessary when looking into what a calibration actually does.

Reactions: Thomas B
No, before launch the app tells me I need to calibrate first. Flying from different locations. I don’t wear a watch. Maybe it’s the hardware they used to put my wrist back together after I broke it. That would be non magnetic titanium I’m guessing.
Screenshot of that please.

Reactions: MMPerrish
I get the impression my MM asks for compass calibration if it is tilted significantly between switching it on and putting it on the ground but I would not swear to the accuracy of the observation.
Try a compass app on your phone and bring the phone it near your wrist.

Finally got out into the country. Nothing but rocks and dirt and finally for the first time was not asked to calibrate. So clearly anywhere in the city of LA is too metallic for this drone.

Finally got out into the country. Nothing but rocks and dirt and finally for the first time was not asked to calibrate. So clearly anywhere in the city of LA is too metallic for this drone.
The kind of thing that would cause magnetic interference issues, is only going to be something quite close to the drone.
That could be a steel bolt two inches from the compass or a car a couple of feet away.
It won't be a whole city and there will be millions of spots within the city where there won't be issues.

The kind of thing that would cause magnetic interference issues, is only going to be something quite close to the drone.
That could be a steel bolt two inches from the compass or a car a couple of feet away.
It won't be a whole city and there will be millions of spots within the city where there won't be issues.
I’ll try to find one.

’m asked to calibrate every single flight, is it safe not to do so?
I only see prompts to calibrate the compass when I have the M2 on in the house while in the kitchen. On those occasions I am not flying and disregard the prompt. I have done some without prompting. I think it is a good idea to do them at each new location or different location. Also do them periodically. I am not sure if these are best practices, but surely it cannot hurt.
BTW, I often takeoff from our driveway with two vehicles(Truck&SUV) to the M2's front, one vehicle to the side and a flag pole on the other side, none more than 3 meters from the M2. I never get compass calibration prompts there.
If you are getting prompts everywhere and frequently, seems unusual to me. However I am a relative newbie on the M2.
If Android, try clearing the app's cache.

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea to do them at each new location or different location. Also do them periodically.
There is no need to do it at new locations or periodically.
Distance and time make no difference to the compass.
If Android, try clearing the app's cache.
The app cache has nothing to do with the compass

Reactions: DJayI
Thank you. I don't know how I came to think it. Seems I had read it somewhere. But to tell the truth, I have read so much material in the leadup to getting the M2, I may be suffering some data smear.

Ok, so the consensus is that it is not necessary to calibrate when asked by the app? Can we agree on that?

Ok, so the consensus is that it is not necessary to calibrate when asked by the app? Can we agree on that?
Compass calibration is rarely ever needed, but just to confuse users DJI make some models ask for recalibration without it being needed.
Read the first post in this thread to learn more about what compass calibration does and when it's necessary:

I have read an article about a drone that ‘asked’ for compass calibrating every single time. The problem was solved by removing the magnet that closes the filterbox Lid. This filterbox was packed in the same flightcase as the Mavic.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Calibrating the drone each flight is more risky than not calibrating, because you can make errors when calibrating. On my older Phantoms and Mavic's I have machines that went a year without calibrating. It's not something that needs to be done on a regular basis. The only time you should clabrate is when you travel to new locations or if you receive a warning.

Mike

Seems I am forced to calibrate my Mavic Air more than 50% of the time or it just won't take off. Only flying in the wide-open spaces. I am also sure to be about 20 yards away from my car but does not seem to help?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada