DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Error popping up

redserv

Reactions
Hi guys I went flying this weekend. when flying over a particular part of the park I was video recoding I would see my cs screen flashing red and said something about the compass. However the msg goes away once I don't fly in that particular spot. Is their a way I can find out what caused the error via my logs?

By examining the Flight Logs one could determine if the compass data was correct upon takeoff and if there were spurious compass readings during the time of the flight. Might be worthwhile to post it up and see if some of the masters would have a look.

Thanks BD0G, I have like six .txt files from that day flying should attach all to this post?

ok I have uploaded the TXT files here. I will like to mention I always check my compass sensors before take to make sure I am seeing green bars. I also should mention this is my first flight after I did an IMU and compass calibration. I would appreciate some feedback on this as I am trying to understand what happened.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-05-11]log.zip
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-10-08]log.zip
    61.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-12-29]log.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-37-11]log.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[11-06-07]log.zip
    138.1 KB · Views: 1
Reason for the calibrations?
For some strange reason if my drone is facing away from me on the ground. When I look at the orientation of the red arrow in go4 app it's always like 15 degrees off I can never get it to align with my AC. So I calibrated the compass hoping to fix it to no avail.

Only one of those logs contains compass errors (DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-12-29].txt) and my first guess would be magnetic interference at the takeoff location. It would require the DAT file FLY229.DAT from the FlightRecords/MCDatFlightRecords folder to confirm.

Only one of those logs contains compass errors (DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-16_[10-12-29].txt) and my first guess would be magnetic interference at the takeoff location. It would require the DAT file FLY229.DAT from the FlightRecords/MCDatFlightRecords folder to confirm.
Good day Sar104 I would like to personally thank you for your assistance with this. I will sure get the DAT file and upload. The funny thing is I usually check my compass status via sensor reading before take off and the bars were green. I will upload the DAT file that you require today, thanks again.

For some strange reason if my drone is facing away from me on the ground. When I look at the orientation of the red arrow in go4 app it's always like 15 degrees off I can never get it to align with my AC. So I calibrated the compass hoping to fix it to no avail.
I have read in other places that the orientation arrow being off is a known issue. See below.
My 1st impression is that it looks and feels good, but, the TX internal compass after calibrating multiple times remains a good 90-100 degrees off in the clockwise direction with the moving maps. This is a deal breaker for me, it will go back if not fixable.

I have read in other places that the orientation arrow being off is a known issue. See below.
My 1st impression is that it looks and feels good, but, the TX internal compass after calibrating multiple times remains a good 90-100 degrees off in the clockwise direction with the moving maps. This is a deal breaker for me, it will go back if not fixable.

Are you saying that the aircraft arrow is always 90° off clockwise on the map with respect to the direction that the aircraft is actually pointing (that's not really possible) or that the map, and as a result the aircraft arrow, is off compared to the direction that the controller is pointing (a common problem)?

I don’t believe it’s 90 degrees. (something less than)
I can’t answer what part of the system is off.
I’ll see if I can find more info and check the hardware that I have, but it is noticeable. The first reading that I found was on the rcgroups website for the mavic 2 thread. Go to post number 5081 to get close to that subject.

I don’t believe it’s 90 degrees. (something less than)
I can’t answer what part of the system is off.
I’ll see if I can find more info and check the hardware that I have, but it is noticeable. The first reading that I found was on the rcgroups website for the mavic 2 thread. Go to post number 5081 to get close to that subject.

Right - but I'm trying to understand exactly what you are seeing. The test for the compass, before takeoff, is to check that the aircraft arrow is pointing in the correct direction relative to the map, not relative to how the map is oriented on the display. In other words if the aircraft is pointing north, does the aircraft arrow point north on the map, relative to the map's north indicator. It's not about how the arrow points relative to you or anything else, because even though the map is supposed to rotate as you turn the controller/mobile device, that function is determined by the mobile device compass which is often skewed by the magnetic field of the controller (from the stick sensors).

Reactions: Thomas B

Hello again sar104. I have attached the DAT file. I will like to also mention that ONLY when i fly over the particular area i got compass error if i moved away the error was gone. I tested this 3 times by flying over the area.

Attachments

• 19-03-16-10-12-15_FLY229.DAT
    7.3 MB · Views: 5
Hello again sar104. I have attached the DAT file. I will like to also mention that ONLY when i fly over the particular area i got compass error if i moved away the error was gone. I tested this 3 times by flying over the area.
Hey Sar104 please don't forget me please :p

Yea it's pretty strange. But as I mentioned before I out got the compass interference when I flew over a particular area. Could magnetic interference happen with flight??

Yea it's pretty strange. But as I mentioned before I out got the compass interference when I flew over a particular area. Could magnetic interference happen with flight??

No - the magnetometer data don't really show any strong evidence of a problem, and yet the event stream includes this:

31.500 : 2861 [L-FDI][FDI][COMPASS(0)] is outlier(fault)
31.500 : 2861 [L-FDI][FDI][COMPASS(1)] is outlier(fault)

which is what trigger the messages.

No - the magnetometer data don't really show any strong evidence of a problem, and yet the event stream includes this:

31.500 : 2861 [L-FDI][FDI][COMPASS(0)] is outlier(fault)
31.500 : 2861 [L-FDI][FDI][COMPASS(1)] is outlier(fault)

which is what trigger the messages.
I will continue to fly and as always take as much precaution as possible. Any advice you have for me at this point? Or just monitor the situation?? Thanks in advance

I will continue to fly and as always take as much precaution as possible. Any advice you have for me at this point? Or just monitor the situation?? Thanks in advance

If it really is just at that location then I would just avoid it. I'm not yet convinced though. Still looking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580