DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error when launching from ship

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just wanted to show the compass error I get when launching from the ship. This has happened many dozens of times in many locations and conditions with no issues during the flights. The error occurs with hand launches too and returns upon hand catch on the ship. This is with the Mavic 2 Pro. Sharing for discussion purposes since is it an error I ignore as it corrects itself once away from the ship. I'm not looking for solutions as there are none. I just find it interesting.

Do some Googling for compass errors on board ships - it's been a problem since the invention of the magnetic compass hundreds of years ago. Today's ships, way too much metal. Probably a good idea you aren't calibrating before launch.

Reactions: Gringorio
Just wanted to show the compass error I get when launching from the ship. This has happened many dozens of times in many locations and conditions with no issues during the flights. The error occurs with hand launches too and returns upon hand catch on the ship. This is with the Mavic 2 Pro. Sharing for discussion purposes since is it an error I ignore as it corrects itself once away from the ship. I'm not looking for solutions as there are none. I just find it interesting.
The M2P has firmware that detects and corrects for magnetic errors provided certain conditions are met. Specifically, it must be powered up and not moved before launch. When it takes off and the magnetic heading changes as it leaves the region of magnetic interference while the rate gyros detect no rotation, it resets the heading to match the new magnetic heading. This post and thread illustrates the process:

But that's not what your video appears to show, since the initialized heading before takeoff seems to be correct. The magnetic error is likely due to the magnetic modulus being out of range. That functionality is explained in this post:

I tried to launch my Mini2 from the roof of my car, same issue, too much metal and get the "need to calibrate compass" message. Get 10 feet away and it's fine.

If the compass is calibrated and correct before getting on board, it will correct itself after it leaves the ship. Same as on land if you're in a magnetic interference area. It also happens with my truck.

If the compass is calibrated and correct before getting on board, it will correct itself after it leaves the ship. Same as on land if you're in a magnetic interference area. It also happens with my truck.
Not necessarily. It depends on the model and how it is powered up. The real problem arises if the aircraft is powered up and the IMU heading is incorrectly initialized by the compass due to magnetic interference. When the aircraft leaves the ship the compass will become correct, but only certain DJI models and firmware versions have the ability to recognize the situation and correct the IMU heading when that happens.

When the aircraft leaves the ship the compass will become correct, but only certain DJI models and firmware versions have the ability to recognize the situation and correct the IMU heading when that happens

Could you list models that do this ?
It wouldn’t be easy to find elsewhere, and could be helpful to know for very rare flight situations.

Could you list models that do this ?
It wouldn’t be easy to find elsewhere, and could be helpful to know for very rare flight situations.
The only one that I can confirm is the Mavic 2 series. The Mavic Pro did not have this capability. And while I'd have expected the more recent models to have included it, that is not obvious, at least based on numerous reported flight problems caused by compass errors.

The only one that I can confirm is the Mavic 2 series. The Mavic Pro did not have this capability. And while I'd have expected the more recent models to have included it, that is not obvious, at least based on numerous reported flight problems caused by compass errors.

That certainly is a brilliant feature, and you'd think it would be included in more recent models.
Hopefully something for analytics people to keep an eye out for when looking at those particular crash (fly off) threads.

The M2P has firmware that detects and corrects for magnetic errors provided certain conditions are met. Specifically, it must be powered up and not moved before launch. When it takes off and the magnetic heading changes as it leaves the region of magnetic interference while the rate gyros detect no rotation, it resets the heading to match the new magnetic heading. This post and thread illustrates the process:

But that's not what your video appears to show, since the initialized heading before takeoff seems to be correct. The magnetic error is likely due to the magnetic modulus being out of range. That functionality is explained in this post:

Thanks for the explanation and links!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom