DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Issues

Hornet600

Reactions
Anyone else having compass issues after updating to the latest firmware? The little green/blue directional circle on mine sometimes isn’t there.

Reactions: Maersk65
Yes, mine was jumping around today... a lot of complaints about no maps but my maps seem to be there!
The missing maps were updated today. I’ve recalibrated the compass and the IMU every thing seems pretty stable now, even the RC directional circle seems to be working ok now as well.

Reactions: Torque and SpinItUp
It happens to me that if I point directly at the drone, the circle stays blue. Only if I aim to the left of the drone does it turn green.
Try recalibrating the compass and the IMU, also see if the RC needs recalibrating

Reactions: Maersk65
Same here the little blue/green circle sometimes missing and had to re-star to get it back and still jumping all over ☹️ ... I will take your advice and recalibrating the compass and IMU and see how it goes...

Anyone else having compass issues after updating to the latest firmware? The little green/blue directional circle on mine sometimes isn’t there.
YES, absolutely! Went out yesterday, and the little radar screen in the lower left of the RC was being totally erratic. (SEE VIDEO) In the setting, tried to do a compass calibration the controller, and it would just immediately say "DONE" after trying to start a calibration.

Has anyone using the RC-N1 had these issues also? The answer to this question might shed some light on whether this issue is an isolated one with the RC controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpinItUp
It happens to me that if I point directly at the drone, the circle stays blue. Only if I aim to the left of the drone does it turn green.
Similar for me. I have to rotate slightly clockwise (I suppose 10-20 degrees?) to get a green dot.

Been having issues ever since I got the drone. N swings round in it's own little world with no sense of direction and the arrow jumps all over the place or isn't pointing in the correct orientation. Comp-Donkey IYKWIM

I updated both of my RC controllers. The original one--such a history of issues with it, is much better behaved. It did not have correct orientation of controller in either compass direction nor to aircraft and I could not force a recalibration. I did a factory reset (again) and reloaded the software with DJI A2 (consumer). At the next power up it asked for a compas recalibration. Performance is improved. Neither is always dead accurate though both can be.

Both aircraft seem to be always just about correct.

It seems that one controller (the second one) is always more likely to be correct or closer than is the other one. there is often an "offset (compass/attitude indicator shows me standing in correct direction but to one side or the other of where I actually am--similar in amount to how far off the aircraft will land on RTH). There must be something common underlying the RTH, lateral error and directional error.

I wonder if there is a relationship between the quality of initial GPS lock and correction to True North as discussed here, which accounts for the variation. Thoughts?

Screenshot_Radar Ahead.png
Note the red Obstacle Warning in the Attitude/compass indicator--making it act truly like radar!
It works fore and aft, but not down, as far as I can determine. It is color coded for distance and sized for the obstacle.

I never noticed this before updating this week.
I will admit I usually keep me in the center (does that make me "ego centric"?🤣) and was using this mode only for testing purposes, and that I couldn't find any old screen recordings to help me figure out...

Is this New or Old but also wasn't previously working?
Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I updated both of my RC controllers. The original one--such a history of issues with it, is much better behaved. It did not have correct orientation of controller in either compass direction nor to aircraft and I could not force a recalibration. I did a factory reset (again) and reloaded the software with DJI A2 (consumer). At the next power up it asked for a compas recalibration. Performance is improved. Neither is always dead accurate though both can be.

Both aircraft seem to be always just about correct.

It seems that one controller (the second one) is always more likely to be correct or closer than is the other one. there is often an "offset (compass/attitude indicator shows me standing in correct direction but to one side or the other of where I actually am--similar in amount to how far off the aircraft will land on RTH). There must be something common underlying the RTH, lateral error and directional error.

I wonder if there is a relationship between the quality of initial GPS lock and correction to True North as discussed here, which accounts for the variation. Thoughts?
Just a question re the factory reset of the DJI RC. Don’t understand why the software required to be reinstalled using DJI A2. I understood that the reset didnt remove the base controller program

Just a question re the factory reset of the DJI RC. Don’t understand why the software required to be reinstalled using DJI A2. I understood that the reset didnt remove the base controller program
I can't really answer that. The procedure was recommended to me when earlier firmware and software updates gave horribly erratic behavior of controller and aircraft (partial loss of aircraft control, controller apparently stacking commands in a buffer then playing them with wild results, Video clips missing segments or two segments melded together). It did appear that using A2 yielded better imperfect results. I think I was reminded of the good ol days when every update of everything (including my marine aquarium computer) worked better with hard-wired firmware writes as compared to wifi ones.

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair