DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Redundancy Warning !!

Reactions
I have compass redundancy warning when I was flying, and sometimes red warning about compass error appear. I've done IMU & compas callibration, is there any problem with compass??

517b86e3973bdb890261d11f91495a50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Are you running the current firmware?

I have compass redundancy warning when I was flying, and sometimes red warning about compass error appear. I've done IMU & compas callibration, is there any problem with compass??

517b86e3973bdb890261d11f91495a50.jpg

Goto an open field and look at your compass1 and compass2 values in the sensors screen.
Post it here.
That warning is telling you that one of your compasses has whacked out.

4970bc715ab77ddfecb08b2f28167de6.jpg

908ec37a223a66b992c791d1709a8074.jpg

39233758b5161114bede35a0dd8e5323.jpg

90aac503869fe4b4a71a7727bc1923ab.jpg

f24eb646ea974d32cb2153738fbc69ac.jpg

You look like you are on a building structure. And I assumed you did a compass dance on this building.
It is possible that you have snapshotted/captured a bad compass on this building even though it is showing 'excellent'. I can only assume that when you took off and gotten further from this building, the compass went red. What is happening here is that the compass is now conflicted as it now seeing the REAL NORTH when its in mid air. Look closely at the map you posted. I bet the warning popped up when you were over the grassy fields.

You really need to be calibrating in an open grassy field once. There is no need to be calibrating at every location. Doing it in an open grassy field reflects/simulates what it sees 30ft up in the sky. If you see magnetic interference warning when taking off, move the drone to another place or take off from a card board box.

Last edited:
Im not assuming, but DJI said:

1ea4d0b73424acd57cd34829370aa1ed.jpg

c135d6083d3da9098379ae8cd24beb9e.jpg

I used to fly with my Inspire & Phantom with the same place without any problem:

By buying Mavic, I wish I have more compact, easy, secure drone than what I have before, like DJI said "worry - free & wherever you go.

Last edited:
Im not assuming, but DJI said:

1ea4d0b73424acd57cd34829370aa1ed.jpg

c135d6083d3da9098379ae8cd24beb9e.jpg

Did DJI say it only can fly in grass open vield??

I used to fly with my Inspire & Phantom with the same place without any problem:

DJI says you should be calibrating your compass in an area FREE of buildings and magnetic influence. To get a good compass snapshot, I use an open grassy field.

And also note, your inspire and Phantom are built different from the Mavic. The mavic has a lower profile and therefore sits closer to the ground than the inspire and Phantom and It may have different compass chips.

Why don't you go to an open field, calibrate the compass and the return to your building and take off and see if this fixes the problem. If not, send it back.

I think I'm having a very similar issue. I've calibrated my Mavic's compass in a couple of what I believe to be, non/low-interferece locations. However I've had, on occasion the same message that you get, particularly when flying at speed in Sports Mode. I also always get is a 'Compass Error. Move aircraft or recalibrate' message whenever I'm flying at speed in Sports Mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

yeah I got that on my first few flights, then re did my compass calibration and it went away

Also had a compass switch warning pop up in the middle of clean air, thinking this latest firmware needs to be ironed out

Graham, I am getting the same error and only in Sport mode. It's very aggravating, and I'm hoping it gets ironed out in a firmware update.

It was happent in sport & gps mode

28b80c5fcecb26f48d0f13d15c52c2a0.jpg

978053b52af6f589e77f2723671da7b6.jpg

From your description(s) it would seem that your Mavic has the Sports-mode-full-throttle-compass-error defect. It's being discussed in a couple of threads (at least)
Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error.
Spooky Action at a Distance
On some Mavics the high current is caused by either full throttle in Sports mode, or both full throttle and elevator. When this happens on some Mavics the back compass is compromised. With Firmware V01-03 the switch is made to the front compass to avoid a situation developing where a TBE could happen. There have been some pilots who have sent their Mavics to DJI and had it replaced.

This issue has nothing to do with compass calibration or lack thereof.

Reactions: Logger
Graham, I am getting the same error and only in Sport mode. It's very aggravating, and I'm hoping it gets ironed out in a firmware update.

Yes me too. I've seen some mixed opinions on another thread where others are having the same issue. Some are saying it's a firmware bug, others are saying it's a hardware fault and that the drone will need to be returned.

Yes me too. I've seen some mixed opinions on another thread where others are having the same issue. Some are saying it's a firmware bug, others are saying it's a hardware fault and that the drone will need to be returned.
I've sent complain to DJI but they just told me that Im flying in interference area, without asking me to send it back to DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgoodha