DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compatible (budget) 5.5 - 6 inch phones

Cellarboy

Reactions
Does anyone have any suggestions for budget 5.5 to 6 inch phones that work well for DJI Go and the Mavic specifically? Anyone use any of the budget Chinese phones with international firmware?

My iPhone 6s is too small to use for DJI Go with these old eyes and I don't plan on upgrading for a while. I hear that the Nexus 7 (2013) chugs a little bit and I'm not sure I want an iPad Mini.

Thanks in advance.

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used phones here.

Many budget devices don't play well with DJI GO.

The iPad Mini 2 is nice. The OP is looking for a phone though.

I've just gone for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5
Currently have old MotoG - too small, not enough power - and a Nexus7 - hardly fits..
Something to try check out is how bright the screen can go - a constant problem outside in sunny conditions.

I agree a used/refurbished Samsung S5 would be a good choice I have one that i was planing on useing as my S6 Edge i want to keep as a backup

Could probably pick up a note 4 for cheap. Working great for me, and even has an outdoor screen mode that makes your screen extremely bright, albeit a little saturated.

Used Note 5. Even brighter than the Note 4, and pretty cheap on Craigslist here in Los Angeles. I paid $220 for mine.

I take it that either an Android or iPhone would not need to be cellular plan-activated to fly the Mavic (or, P4) ?

Keep in mind that you may want cellular for the maps, but you can cache the maps, or use a wifi hotspot.... or don't use the map functionality (bad if you lose your drone, the map can help you find it)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Good point vis the "maps" acquisition for the flight area of interest. I would be using a Samsung "Tab" (with built-in GPS, waas capable), and would map cache some good high-res Google imagery (zoomed to appx 1 : 6000 scale). If I recall somewhere, the Mavic has a GPS chip somewhere inside its airframe, too? If I run into trouble with the DJI Go app (for Android) on the Samsung Tab, I have a DJI Go app .APK version from 2015...

Huawei Mate 8 makes a great combo. 6 inch, little wasted space, as big as will fit without having to mess with/mod anything.

I want to do the same thing. Dji go runs amazing on my iPhone 7+ buy iv read it's not the case on Android.

Not sure why though.

Hows the Samsung note 4-5 doing with Dji go app for you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S