DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complete discharge battery. M2Z with Hanatora charger. Should I?

Reactions
I recently received a Hanatora battery charger, and have used it twice to charge all 4 of my Mavic 2 Zoom batteries in around 90 minutes. I love it. On the Amazon site where I ordered it, it describes to use the discharge function to completely discharge the batteries after every 20-30 charging cycles, for longer battery life. Everything I've read elsewhere says never to completely discharge LiPo batteries as it probably will result in much lower battery life if not immediate destruction of the battery. Once I had an app on an iPod (lithium ion, I think) which did the same thing, and recommended doing so every month or so. I do not want to brick any of my batteries, and would like to get the most out of them. Kind of afraid to use this feature. Has any one every used the Hanatora charger for this purpose? What where the results? What about general advice about discharging fully the batteries? Any experience, data, or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Everything I've read elsewhere says never to completely discharge LiPo batteries as it probably will result in much lower battery life if not immediate destruction of the battery
The battery will power down before it's completely discharged. If you follow that advice, just make sure you recharge it after discharging it. These batteries don't do well when stored in a discharged state for long periods of time.

To add, allow time for battery to stabilize after discharge if it feels warm, about a half hour should be good. The Discharger says down to zero, but isn't really zero as a normal Lipo, it is a set voltage of 3.2 volts normally. DJI builds in a safety net as described above. The battery will shut down at anything that will damage it, and then rebound back with enough voltage to ensure no damage, once discharged and cooled/stabilized do the recharge to storage voltage as outlined. :)

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Thank you both for your replies! I was kind of thinking since the charger is designed specifically for this battery, which also seems to be well thought out, that any sort of potential problems would have been addressed. Didn't want to risk bricking my batteries, but they fall in that usage range, so thinking I'll give it a shot. Is discharging then recharging a common practice? Will it extend battery life?

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies! Is there any benefit to doing it, will doing so extend battery life?
Back when DJI released the Inspire 1 and P3P series this was part of the maintenance. It was used for the battery electronics to recalibrate and then as such function better in the App, so that every one was on the same page...as it were. Some people say it does nothing, some swear by it. As long as none of your battery cell voltages drop below 3.0 your fine, so just watch that. It can't hurt anything other than that. I have P3P batteries about 4 years old that are still showing 94% of capacity using that method, so it doesn't hurt. :p YMMV. There are many factors that determine battery life, this is just but one.

I've seen a few people compare DJI batteries that were maintained like this against others that were never routinely discharged. No noticeable differences were found.

Your batteries should last a long time if you follow these tips instead:
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries
I concur, but it doesn't hurt..battery life is really governed by use as well, those "zippy do dah" guys always flying in sports mode (For what reason I have no clue) are cooking their batteries..then complain when they have "only" 50 charges and take all preventative maintenance and never drop below this or that percentage, but don't tell you they left them that way for 2-3 weeks..it's a lost cause.. I generally stay out of the whole battery thing unless a newb is going to burn his house down ;)

Ok since were talking batteries. When i flew rc sailplanes electric i kept my batteries in a fireproof safe and at the field a flame proof bag. Any issues with DJI battery storage i should be aware of?

Ok since were talking batteries. When i flew rc sailplanes electric i kept my batteries in a fireproof safe and at the field a flame proof bag. Any issues with DJI battery storage i should be aware of?
Generally not, I have seen videos where a good sized LiPo will burn right through the bag, most bags are cheap Chinese knock offs. Store low to floor (In case it falls) in a cool (Not Cold/freezing) area, Store at appropriate charge. And don't poke a hole in them :p. I store mine on a the lowest metal shelf of stand in the basement which is on a concrete floor. Nothing within 2 foot of it in any direction that it could harm. Don't store them around other batteries or in case with aircraft or in aircraft. Had the strange and wild happen, and a battery goes south...then you lose your whole system. ;)

Have a empty metal bucket nearby, to toss it in and get it outside if stored inside.

Last edited:
I have used that charger for well over a year with excellent results. I follow the Air Data battery maintenance schedule which includes a “total” discharge cycle. I do allow about an hour for the batteries to cool. The charger can then bring them up to storage OR full charge. It is a very capable device.

I recently left a drone on by mistake. It killed the battery forever, so complete discharge is surely not recommended.

I also have news for you - on DJI smart batteries the charger just applies voltage with a given current capacity - the battery controls the charge. The only thing that makes a third party charger "better" is it's current rating.

Reactions: Kilerpl
The battery on my MPP was left on for 4 days after an inaccessible crash. It started out near 100% of design capacity. After I recovered it, the battery was capable of only 96% of design. So letting it go until it dies does affect them.

Reactions: DougMcC
I have the same charger and I once let it go too far to 0%. I got lucky and no harm done, at least I don't believe so. I love the charger but wish for a way to set the discharge level to a specified level. Oh well, nothings perfect. I have never used my DJI Kit charger :)

Reactions: Kilerpl
I think people are not understanding the difference between a reading of "0%" in App or a charger (**** see note) and 0/Flat as measured by a device (VOM)

DJI Drones will read "0" in App and the battery still has sufficient charge so as not to damage the battery. Somewhere above 3.0v as measured by VOM. Usually battery will read above 3.2v when it settles and DJI Smart batteries have a safety that should not allow the battery to go beyond this threshold. If they do then they are defective or firmware is really old..Like say a P3 with 3 year old firmware.

If you leave a DJI drone on it will self power off and prevent battery damage, or it should unless defective. However if you do not recognize you have done something like that pretty much instantly within the day, and come back days, weeks or a month later. You have inadvertently ruined a battery or cause it irreparable harm and shouldn't use it. Batteries don't like to be over charged for long, nor do they tolerate being "Zero" charge for long.

****On this charger I am assuming that it indeed knows the threshold of voltage to stop discharge at the levels discussed above, if not I wouldn't be using the discharge function...in fact I wouldn't even bother buying it. ;)

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I got this charger from Amazon but no instructions on discharging. One side in Chinese and the other doesn't state how to discharge. It appears to charge when the light is Red. Green seems to turn on the fan. Is a blue light for discharging? Let mine run for 15 minutes with a blue light and nothing happening. Can't find a website for this company either.

I got this charger from Amazon but no instructions on discharging. One side in Chinese and the other doesn't state how to discharge. It appears to charge when the light is Red. Green seems to turn on the fan. Is a blue light for discharging? Let mine run for 15 minutes with a blue light and nothing happening. Can't find a website for this company either.
Here's a little booklet of instructions I received with mine...
IMG_8839.JPGIMG_8840.JPGIMG_8841.JPGIMG_8842.JPG

Reactions: ShurikenSky
I have used the Hantora 4 battery charger for a year. I follow the Air Data maintenance schedule as to periodic ( about every 20 full recharges) to fully discharge using the blue light cycle, let the battery cool then recharge to the storage level. All batteries are fine and work well.

I have used the Hantora 4 battery charger for a year. I follow the Air Data maintenance schedule as to periodic ( about every 20 full recharges) to fully discharge using the blue light cycle, let the battery cool then recharge to the storage level. All batteries are fine and work well.
Edit above green light to discharge and blue light to achieve storage level.

Reactions: MAJ Mavic
I just recently invested in the "Hanatora Battery Wall Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic Air 2". I've not had it a week yet, but, I'm glad to see that you've had good success using this charger / battery manager. Thanks for sharing this!
MJ

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada