DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Concerned about AirportAvoidLanding! How can I avoid it?

Yaros

Reactions
Hello!
I fly my drone in Mallorca Spain, in the area that doesn't have any no-fly zones nearby (at least 20 km around me) but in December for Christmas I'm going to Alicante, Spain that does have all types of no-fly zones, authorization zones, warning, class D and other stuff.
I heard stories of drones just landing in the water, or other not reachable places by entering an authorization zone during RTH and losing signal.

My questions are:

1. Which zones exactly cause the drone to auto land if it enters them? Does it happen in Enhanced Warning Zones too, or only in Authorization and Restricted Zones?
2. Why doesn't the drone just go around it during RTH if it finds one? Why does it need to run into it and land?
3. If it starts auto landing while I still have signal, can I stop it going down by holding the left stick up, the same way I can do during low battery emergency landing?
4. Does it enter an authorization and immediately start landing if it runs into one during no-signal RTH? Or does it stop and hover before the zone?

The answer to these questions would be interesting. But wouldn't it be easier for you just to plan your flights so that you either have clearance (and the corresponding DJI unlock license), or just avoid having a locked area between you and your drone?

Reactions: tlswift58
1. Which zones exactly cause the drone to auto land if it enters them? Does it happen in Enhanced Warning Zones too, or only in Authorization and Restricted Zones?
Your drone cannot enter those zones (if you have GPS).
The stories you are thinking of are cases where flyers launched before getting GPS and when GPS is acquired later, the drone realises where it is and lands.
If you tried to launch with GPS inside the zone, the drone would not allow launching.
If you tried to fly into the zone, the drone would act like it hit a soft glass wall.
It could fly up, down and along the wall, but not cross it.
2. Why doesn't the drone just go around it during RTH if it finds one? Why does it need to run into it and land?
Because it hasn't been programmed to.
Given the size of many of those zones, going around might not be helpful either.
It's much better to just wait fr GPS and homepoint to be recorded before launching and avoid the problems.

Reactions: tlswift58
I always wait for GPS before taking off.
But what will it do if let's say I fly around an Authorization Zone and lose signal, it will go in a straight line to it and then stop? Or land?

But wouldn't it be easier for you just to plan your flights so that you either have clearance (and the corresponding DJI unlock license),
Yes, but when it loses signal it loses the license. Because it is bound to the controller, so if you enter in a zone like that and then loses signal it will land, because it doesn't know if it has the license!

I always wait for GPS before taking off.
But what will it do if let's say I fly around an Authorization Zone and lose signal, it will go in a straight line to it and then stop? Or land?

Yes, but when it loses signal it loses the license. Because it is bound to the controller, so if you enter in a zone like that and then loses signal it will land, because it doesn't know if it has the license!
When planning to fly - do you use any apps like Aloft / B4UFLY / etc.? If not, you should to find zones that may be problematic and esp if near water - then avoid those zones at all costs.

You can be in hypothetical mode till your blue in the face and maybe end up not flying. Simply know where you are, your drone is, where the zones are that you need authorization for or cannot fly in / over and simply work around them or don't fly so far away you're unaware of the zone, possible signal loss, or out of your eyesight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots