DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confronted by drone non-fan

787steve

Reactions
I just returned from a trip to Hawaii. We had an 8th floor condo overlooking the whale rich Maui channel. We could see the whales from our lanai, but after going down to the ground and launching, I found it almost impossible to locate them from the air. After a couple failed attempts, I decided to havre my wife transport the MP to the lawn, then I would take off, fly, and return to her from my position on high. It worked well.
But when she picked it up after the flight, a gentleman in ofly ne of the lower condos told her that it was illegal to fly near the condo without getting permission from everyone in the building. She told him she would ask me about it.

The next day, I took it down to test if the winds were too strong. They were, at least for me. The same gent came down and intercepted me on my way back to the elevator. He informed me that I was breaking the law. I I told him that I was quite familiar with the law, and was following it. He asked to see where the camera was located, so I showed him. (Without giving the drone to him. I have read the "guy threw my drone into the ocean "post. Thanks.)

He said he felt like I was looking in every condo in the building, and that he specifically felt that he was being followed by it. I told him that I understood his concerns, but that I was not doing so. I then showed him some of the short video clips from the controller showing him what I had been doing. I told him that I had decades of flying experience, (we were both seniors) and was quite familiar with the regulations of drone flying before even buying one.
He seemed to settle down, and said "you seem to be a responsible person".

I again, told him I understood how he had misinterpreted the drones activity, and that I realized that there may well be others in the building with the same concerns. I said that I would be sensitive to their concerns, and from then on would launch from the far corner of the property (another 20 yds out.) and proceed promptly away from the building, and on return would try to avoid hovering for too long.

Short result: no more complaints. I could have quoted him "The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Part 107, and Public Law 112-95 Sec 336, or just told him he was full of ++++, but I don't think it would have done any more than inflame his anti drone feelings.

I think that the main things that helped were showing him what I had shot, and my age. If I had been 16 years old, he might not have been so easily appeased. But my advice to anyone facing a civilian like this is to be respectful. Then tell them you see how they would think as they do. After they retract their claws, try to educate, especially if you can show them some of what you shot.

BTW, I had several people come out, or even call down from their lanais to ask about the drone. Many more seemed to show a genuine fascination and interest than fear.

Perfect Story. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I think exactly this is a task of us drone pilots besides flying.

The more People offering their time to Educate others, the better for our hobby

Here are some more Ideas how to handle People standing around with „question Marks in their eyes“
- ask them if they would like to come closer and See what you do
- Show the Video Display whilst flying
- offer a look through your VR goggle
- ask them if they would like to „Fly some Meters by their own“
- offer them to send some pics/vids of the Location you have been together

Cases like this, it is good be older! I have similar experiences. Usually though, when they get close enough to see this old far* flying, they just wave and turn around. LOL [emoji38]

Ironically I have been taking my drone everywhere only to not use it due to being conscious about what others think. I think I would handle it well but it sucks when you have to think of the negative that would come out of it that I rather keep it hidden.

I just returned from a trip to Hawaii. We had an 8th floor condo overlooking the whale rich Maui channel. We could see the whales from our lanai, but after going down to the ground and launching, I found it almost impossible to locate them from the air. After a couple failed attempts, I decided to havre my wife transport the MP to the lawn, then I would take off, fly, and return to her from my position on high. It worked well.
But when she picked it up after the flight, a gentleman in ofly ne of the lower condos told her that it was illegal to fly near the condo without getting permission from everyone in the building. She told him she would ask me about it.

The next day, I took it down to test if the winds were too strong. They were, at least for me. The same gent came down and intercepted me on my way back to the elevator. He informed me that I was breaking the law. I I told him that I was quite familiar with the law, and was following it. He asked to see where the camera was located, so I showed him. (Without giving the drone to him. I have read the "guy threw my drone into the ocean "post. Thanks.)

He said he felt like I was looking in every condo in the building, and that he specifically felt that he was being followed by it. I told him that I understood his concerns, but that I was not doing so. I then showed him some of the short video clips from the controller showing him what I had been doing. I told him that I had decades of flying experience, (we were both seniors) and was quite familiar with the regulations of drone flying before even buying one.

I again, told him I understood how he had misinterpreted the drones activity, and that I realized that there may well be others in the building with the same concerns. I said that I would be sensitive to their concerns, and from then on would launch from the far corner of the property (another 20 yds out.) and proceed promptly away from the building, and on return would try to avoid hovering for too long.

Short result: no more complaints. I could have quoted him "The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Part 107, and Public Law 112-95 Sec 336, or just told him he was full of ++++, but I don't think it would have done any more than inflame his anti drone feelings.

I think that the main things that helped were showing him what I had shot, and my age. If I had been 16 years old, he might not have been so easily appeased. But my advice to anyone facing a civilian like this is to be respectful. Then tell them you see how they would think as they do. After they retract their claws, try to educate, especially if you can show them some of what you shot.

BTW, I had several people come out, or even call down from their lanais to ask about the drone. Many more seemed to show a genuine fascination and interest than fear.

Hey, Steve, I am also a Steve. I have never really posted anything for general discussion and wondered how to do it? I have looked all over the forum, but I haven't found anywhere to post a question or comment to the general forum.
Thanks

Perfect Story. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I think exactly this is a task of us drone pilots besides flying.

The more People offering their time to Educate others, the better for our hobby

Here are some more Ideas how to handle People standing around with „question Marks in their eyes“
- ask them if they would like to come closer and See what you do
- Show the Video Display whilst flying
- offer a look through your VR goggle
- ask them if they would like to „Fly some Meters by their own“
- offer them to send some pics/vids of the Location you have been together

Offering the pics/vids worked well also. One day we found a secluded beach with two couples getting ready to head out kite surfing. I went over and told them what I was doing and that while I might get them in frame, it would not be my intention. They told me to shoot away and gave me their emails in hopes that I would get some good shots of them.

Well done sir.
I have had similar conversations with my neighbors here on the central coast of California. People tend to over estimate our interest in peeping at them. Once most of my neighbors learn that it's my drone they are seeing they lighten up and some support me. That said my friend, thanks again for taking time to educate
the skeptics and hopefully the few that do the things they are afraid of will not hurt our hobby beyond repair.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I've lived a similar story to this multiple times now. While I've had a few interactions that started out terse, not one of them has ended that way. I always try to place my mavic in the air so we can see it safely away from people, and then I'll engage with them and explain that I need to focus for a minute but that I'd love to talk to them. I'll bring the bird down and land then try to do exactly what the OP here did. I just explain what it's capable of, what my intentions are, and then I'll show them footage. Those steps, and a positive attitude and genuine desire to educate, have never failed me. Kudos for helping us all by not being a jerk and spreading some good feelings about our community to some who might have had a misperception. This is how you win.

Well done sir.
I have had similar conversations with my neighbors here on the central coast of California. People tend to over estimate our interest in peeping at them. Once most of my neighbors learn that it's my drone they are seeing they lighten up and some support me. That said my friend, thanks again for taking time to educate
the skeptics and hopefully the few that do the things they are afraid of will not hurt our hobby beyond repair.[/QUO
Yes, funny, but this guy seemed to think I was a peeper also. I am 68, and we were one of the younger couples on the property. I think peepers would have found a more "target rich" environment.

The most interesting part of the exchange was that early on in out chat, he said he saw me look into every unit of the building. The thing is, he must have convinced himself of that belief. Because while he might get his neighbor upset by telling him that, he couldn't hope to convince me that I had done what I did not do. He backed off of that once I showed him the video. That is when he said he "felt" like it was watching him.

At any rate, people of his mindset are spring loaded to the idea that drones are used by bad people for bad purposes, to the degree that they will believe that they are seeing things that are not there. Be careful out there and keep these people in mind.

Well done for being nice! If I would ever be in that situation my initial reaction would be "FU" then after the fact I'd realize that I should've handled it more like you did.

Reactions: AIRJORGE
Cases like this, it is good be older! I have similar experiences. Usually though, when they get close enough to see this old far* flying, they just wave and turn around. LOL [emoji38]
Unless you're in a public park doing photography.
I had the cops called on me once - a bunch of over zealous mothers called and claimed I was a perv.
In this case the cop wasn't very nice and tried to do two things: threaten to cite me under non-existent laws, and demanded I give him the memory card.
At that point I had to take out my "Photographers Rights" card - Bert Krages - Attorney" and educate him on the error of their ways.
I asked him if he understood this could be a citation against him for several trespasses and he got very cooperative.
Then I offered to show him my photos on the condition he went over and explained to the scowling mothers that I wasn't being a "perv".
To his credit he did so but they were still none too happy. I guess they thought they'd get to brag how they caught a perv - maybe even get interviewed by the news.
So - I'm glad to hear your story but people PLEASE be prepared by knowing your rights and more importantly stand up for them if you're in the right.
We lose rights by allowing others to chip away at them.
Here's a sample of what I was doing: note this is perfectly legal - many people have a mistaken notion about model releases and kids and privacy.
You only need a model release if you publish in a media that requires it, or it will be used for advertisement/endorsement purposes.

Boy-%26-Fountain-Platinum-S.jpg
i-7b9CFJV-M.jpg
i-vHhM736-M.jpg

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
You sir, are an ambassador for droning! I wish more people came across people like you - as opposed to the people you hear about that have no regard for safety or privacy.

I’m a 16 year old and wow am I lucky no one ever complains about my mavic I fly it around my block to a of time, went to vacation tons of time dropped it in our neighbors backyard once, and crashed my racing quad in another backyard, no complains just got the cops called because the people got scared when my mavic fell from 180 feet on a plastic roof and the cop just told me he’s gonna go check to see if he finds my drone.

Had an interesting experience filming a golf course. 4 guys came over, accused me of spying on them and threatened to shoot golf balls at my drone if I persisted. BTW I was working for the golf course owner at the time. I apologized and moved to another part of the course. An hour or so later I met up with an elderly Asian couple who barely spoke English. I asked their permission to interrupt their game for a few moments while I filmed the hole they were about to play. The elderly gentleman told me to take my time. "You have job to do" he said. I told him I appreciated his understanding and told him about the others who felt I was spying on them. "You tell them this is Canada" he said most emphatically. I got the real sense he was from a part of the world where privacy was not respected as much as it is in North America.

Reactions: radman

Well done!! It’s good to hear these scenarios. Keeping calm and understanding the other POV really helps. Thanks you for the reminder.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo