DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about Canadian drone laws.

GoldenHourKodak

Reactions
I've been trying to figure out the laws in Canada when it comes to drones under 250 grams, but most of the webpages I could find never specify if the laws/airspace restrictions apply to all drones, or just those above 250 grams. This website: Drone site selection tool - National Research Council Canada shows most of my city (Calgary, Alberta) as being restricted to fly anywhere near the city centre. Is this the case for my drone? (Dji Mini 2) or am I able to fly it anywhere like some people say due it being smaller?

I want to fly my drone without fearing a massive fine! Thank you for your help.

Transport Canada clarified this and other of the CARs Part IX RPAS regulations in the most recent AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual) with a new section specific to RPAS – https://www.tc.gc.ca/ca-publications/AIM_2020-1_E_RPA.pdf

Basically use common sense. However you would be wise to take some courses with a qualified training school. Anyone can fly a modern drone, it’s much harder to fly it safely.

I've been trying to figure out the laws in Canada when it comes to drones under 250 grams, but most of the webpages I could find never specify if the laws/airspace restrictions apply to all drones, or just those above 250 grams. This website: Drone site selection tool - National Research Council Canada shows most of my city (Calgary, Alberta) as being restricted to fly anywhere near the city centre. Is this the case for my drone? (Dji Mini 2) or am I able to fly it anywhere like some people say due it being smaller?

I want to fly my drone without fearing a massive fine! Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 37831BAF-0698-4B9F-AA34-78767BE19E5D.png
    37831BAF-0698-4B9F-AA34-78767BE19E5D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
On that NRC Drone Site Selection tool, you can change the settings for your choice of operation type.
  • Micro (<250g)
  • Basic
  • Advanced
The map display changes to reflect the level of restrictions. Clicking on any of the identified zones will pop up a dialog box explaining in greater detail how those restrictions apply to your choice of operation type.

Calgary.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji