DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused New Forum member

Tinyroo

Reactions
I'm not a owner yet but am really interested in the Mavic Air 2. I am put off however by all the legal jargon which i really dont understand. I'm in the UK and am wondering if I can fly it straight out of the box or do I need to take qualifications

Many thanks
Dave

I'm not a owner yet but am really interested in the Mavic Air 2. I am put off however by all the legal jargon which i really dont understand. I'm in the UK and am wondering if I can fly it straight out of the box or do I need to take qualifications

Many thanks
Dave
I'm not familiar with the UK but in the U.S. you just have to register it with the FAA and you're good to go. (Some people don't bother registering their drone, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take) I'm sure someone on here knows better than me and should be able to help you better. Good luck!

I'm not familiar with the UK but in the U.S. you just have to register it with the FAA and you're good to go. (Some people don't bother registering their drone, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take) I'm sure someone on here knows better than me and should be able to help you better. Good luck!

Thank you Jay

That's the info you need. It's only £9, not a big deal. But you should get it done to be safe.

Many thanks
Dave
As far as anywhere it might say ready to fly right of the box but you aren't.
Read the Manual. Watch YouTubes on it if you have never flown before or you will be posting in the crash section. ;)

As far as anywhere it might say ready to fly right of the box but you aren't.
Read the Manual. Watch YouTubes on it if you have never flown before or you will be posting in the crash section. ;)

That's not strictly what I meant but thank you for your reply. Its the fact that the Mavic Air 2 is heavier the 250g and I'm wondering if I need to pay out a lot of money on tests

Reactions: old man mavic

Many thanks
Dave

Registration and the simple test are legal requirements. The process is straightforward and will have you flying under CAA requirements in no time.

The test covers the rules you must follow such as distance from other people, buildings and highly populated areas such as towns and cities.

There are lots of people on the forum who can help with any questions you may have.

You’ll love your Air2, it’s a popular and very capable aircraft.

welcome to the forum,
as ,@Heindrich1988 said in his post above you need to register your drone and take the test to fly legally in the UK ,most of the rules are really just common sense,and they will be changing after the 31st december apparently

That's not strictly what I meant but thank you for your reply. Its the fact that the Mavic Air 2 is heavier the 250g and I'm wondering if I need to pay out a lot of money on tests
I know it wasn't but i took it as you were a new flyer and have seen to many just charge and go only to crash. So i just through that i would throw that in for good measure. Thumbswayup

Registration and the simple test are legal requirements. The process is straightforward and will have you flying under CAA requirements in no time.

The test covers the rules you must follow such as distance from other people, buildings and highly populated areas such as towns and cities.

There are lots of people on the forum who can help with any questions you may have.

You’ll love your Air2, it’s a popular and very capable aircraft.

Thank you very much. I've only just joined the forum and already have received useful information. Think I'm going to like it here

Reactions: Emanáku
welcome to the forum,
as ,@Heindrich1988 said in his post above you need to register your drone and take the test to fly legally in the UK ,most of the rules are really just common sense,and they will be changing after the 31st december apparently
In the UK you have to register the drone AND take a test?

@Tinyroo all the answers are in the drone code ,its really easy to pass and it gives you the flyer ID that you need to fly it lasts for three years and at the moment its free
the operator ID lasts for a year from the date you register and right now costs £9 per year, the police have the power to ask for them and they can impose a fine if you fail to comply ,
you are really only going to be challenged if someone reports you to the police ,but that is a very rare thing ,the police are the only ones who have the power to ask you to produce your operator ID and flyer ID ,just because you have both of them does not mean you have cart blanche to fly anywhere you feel like ,you still have to observe local and CAA regulations where you intend to fly

The other thing is the online test is open-book consisting of 20 questions, so if you can read, and remember where you read the scenario in the question it is difficult to fail. I read the code, took the test, paid my fee and was ready to go in less than 30 minutes

@Tinyroo all the answers are in the drone code ,its really easy to pass and it gives you the flyer ID that you need to fly it lasts for three years and at the moment its free
the operator ID lasts for a year from the date you register and right now costs £9 per year, the police have the power to ask for them and they can impose a fine if you fail to comply ,
you are really only going to be challenged if someone reports you to the police ,but that is a very rare thing ,the police are the only ones who have the power to ask you to produce your operator ID and flyer ID ,just because you have both of them does not mean you have cart blanche to fly anywhere you feel like ,you still have to observe local and CAA regulations where you intend to fly
Is this test the same thing as the Part 107, or is there a different test to get commercial certification?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus