DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusion after Part 107

sawyerbrownlive

Reactions
Last week i passed the exam with a 95%! I was told that in 24-48 hrs i would receive an email from the FAA, which i have not yet. In the meantime i'm trying to understand what i need to do now or when it's time to start flying under part 107. I've seen some discussion that seems to indicate there is a better app to fly with (i use DJI Go 4 as a hobbyist). There is some discussion about using DroneZone and LAANCE. Also discussion about getting a code to unlock so that you can fly in a NFZ. Can someone help me with a clean slate and help me better understand how to proceed? I'm unsure how to pull up a sectional chart and view the areas i intend to fly. If my job sends me 20 or 200 miles away to capture images, how do i go about viewing the area to find out if i am able to fly or if i need approvals? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last week i passed the exam with a 95%! I was told that in 24-48 hrs i would receive an email from the FAA, which i have not yet. In the meantime i'm trying to understand what i need to do now or when it's time to start flying under part 107. I've seen some discussion that seems to indicate there is a better app to fly with (i use DJI Go 4 as a hobbyist). There is some discussion about using DroneZone and LAANCE. Also discussion about getting a code to unlock so that you can fly in a NFZ. Can someone help me with a clean slate and help me better understand how to proceed? I'm unsure how to pull up a sectional chart and view the areas i intend to fly. If my job sends me 20 or 200 miles away to capture images, how do i go about viewing the area to find out if i am able to fly or if i need approvals? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You won't get an email from the FAA until after you register your test results on the IACRA system, I think your testing center didn't convey it properly. You need to register with IACRA, below is the process:
Complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application) using the electronic FAA Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application system (IACRA)*

-Register using the FAA IACRA system
-Login with username and password
-Click on "Start New Application" and 1) Application Type "Pilot", 2) Certifications "Remote Pilot", 3) Other Path Information, 4) Start Application
-Follow application prompts
-When prompted, enter the 17-digit Knowledge Test Exam ID (NOTE: it may take up to 48 hours from the test date for the knowledge test to appear in IACRA)
-Sign the application electronically and submit for processing.

A confirmation email will be sent when an applicant has completed the TSA security background check. This email will provide instructions for printing a copy of the temporary remote pilot certificate from IACRA.

A permanent remote pilot certificate will be sent via mail once all other FAA-internal processing is complete.

You can find out more info on the FAA website HERE

Ok i'll try that. Yea, they told me to not do anything until i get an email from the FAA. Thank you. So can you tell me how i go about looking at maps of places i might fly to find out if there are any restrictions? I won't ever fly in my hometown under part 107...so if i get told today that on friday they are sending me 500 miles away, how do i check that area to see if i can fly at the address i'm being sent to?

Ok i'll try that. Yea, they told me to not do anything until i get an email from the FAA. Thank you. So can you tell me how i go about looking at maps of places i might fly to find out if there are any restrictions? I won't ever fly in my hometown under part 107...so if i get told today that on friday they are sending me 500 miles away, how do i check that area to see if i can fly at the address i'm being sent to?
I would suggest the Airmap app for mobile devices. You can type in the address and get any restrictions flying under Part 107 or as a hobbyist.

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Ok that helps, thanks. I saw posts where people had a sectional chart of the area they want to fly. Why use something as complicated as a sectional chart? I learned about sectional charts while studying for the exam, but i hope to not use one if i don't have to!

[/https://skyvector.com/Flight-Planning-and-Filing-Pilots-Guide
Sky vector for sectionals

Ok that helps, thanks. I saw posts where people had a sectional chart of the area they want to fly. Why use something as complicated as a sectional chart? I learned about sectional charts while studying for the exam, but i hope to not use one if i don't have to!

As others have suggested, airmap.com is usually the "go to" place. However, it takes a bit of work to finally get to what you are looking for. For a "quick and dirty" map that comes up right away in your area, try: U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

Because Sectional Charts are the definitive legal source for determining legal airspace boundaries. Other apps like AirMap, Kittyhawk, etc, are useful but aren't government publications so they can't be 100% relied upon.

Reactions: BigAl07

Why?

This:
Because Sectional Charts are the definitive legal source for determining legal airspace boundaries. Other apps like AirMap, Kittyhawk, etc, are useful but aren't government publications so they can't be 100% relied upon.

Also.....
Sectional charts don't quick working in the middle of your work day.
Sectional charts don't shut down to App Updates right when you need to know where you are.
Sectional charts don't suddenly go blank when you look at them in direct sunlight.

Honestly you should know be able to read a sectional chart as well as you can a fast food menu. Even more so if you think you could possibly be flying in an area you're unfamiliar with.

Reactions: sdold and Mavic Mac
Why?

This:

Also.....
Sectional charts don't quick working in the middle of your work day.
Sectional charts don't shut down to App Updates right when you need to know where you are.
Sectional charts don't suddenly go blank when you look at them in direct sunlight.

Honestly you should know be able to read a sectional chart as well as you can a fast food menu. Even more so if you think you could possibly be flying in an area you're unfamiliar with.

Appreciate all the info. I've been looking at Airmaps when i drive around like when i traveled for Thanksgiving. Just to see how it worked. I can read sectional charts pretty well, probably as well as a fast food menu (since i don't eat at fast food restaurants). I was just unsure how to access sectional charts or how everyone checks on flying legalities. I will most likely only fly commercially a couple of times/year, and they will not be in my city and most likely not my state. So i was really looking for a way to punch in an address and get flying info for that location. Including sectional charts for that address.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27