DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusion regarding zone for mini 2

Roachant

Reactions
Hi,
I just ordered a mini 2 and when looking at the dji fly app it says my area is in a restricted zone yet the official Canadian drone zone map says it’s ok to fly micro drones in this area. When I connect my drone will the fly app show I’m allowed to fly or will I have to unlock it anyway?
thanks!

Hi,
I just ordered a mini 2 and when looking at the dji fly app it says my area is in a restricted zone yet the official Canadian drone zone map says it’s ok to fly micro drones in this area. When I connect my drone will the fly app show I’m allowed to fly or will I have to unlock it anyway?
thanks!
Go look at the DJI Geo Zone Map: Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

I did, that’s where the confusion is, on the DJI geo zone map it says I’m in a restricted area but according to the Canadian drone zone map I’m not in a restricted zone.
I hope that DJI fly app recognizes that drones under 250 grams are allowed in my area.

I did, that’s where the confusion is, on the DJI geo zone map it says I’m in a restricted area but according to the Canadian drone zone map I’m not in a restricted zone.
I hope that DJI fly app recognizes that drones under 250 grams are allowed in my area.
It is possible for DJI to update certain zones with their data base to certain aircraft, but I have heard no such info that they ever have.

Reactions: Roachant
DJI zone maps do not always match the official FAA version. There is not much that can be done about this unless you can get DJI to support a waiver for that particular location. This depends on what part of the world you are in, and whit licensing status for flying there you have.

DJI zone maps do not always match the official FAA version. There is not much that can be done about this unless you can get DJI to support a waiver for that particular location. This depends on what part of the world you are in, and whit licensing status for flying there you have.
It looks like I’ll have to contact DJI about this. I’m in Canada and we don’t need a license for a mini 2, which is why I’m confused that the DJI map shows the zoning for larger drones and not the under 250 gram zones.

Ill wait until I get the drone and register it first though, maybe the map will update itself on the app after it recognizes I’m using a mini 2?

It looks like I’ll have to contact DJI about this. I’m in Canada and we don’t need a license for a mini 2, which is why I’m confused that the DJI map shows the zoning for larger drones and not the under 250 gram zones.

Ill wait until I get the drone and register it first though, maybe the map will update itself on the app after it recognizes I’m using a mini 2?
I live 6 km from a tiny uncontrolled airspace airport.
According to the DJI map, I'm right on the edge of the "authorization zone" and I can't fly my Mini 2 in my own 30 acre alfalfa field without obtaining permission from DJI.

This involves obtaining a texted 6 digit code from DJI (via Internet, note) and entering it in to DJI Fly. This lets me fly for 48 hours, after which I have to jump through the same hoops again. An annoying, but necessary step if I want to shoot in my yard.

The Transport Canada map shows me well clear of any restricted zone. Thanks, DJI lawyers.

Hi,
thanks!
Hi Roachant,

Something to consider... I've never used DJI's geo zone site, so I can't speak to it. However, if I'm wrong my apologies. You stated you just ordered your mini 2. so I'm assuming you don't have it yet. If you are viewing a freshly installed DJI Fly app's features and looking at the map noting where you can fly, keep in mind it will not have the most current Fly Safe database on it until you update it. To do that it must be connected to the AC. If you go to settings in the Fly App, select about, you will note the version of the Fly Safe database (on a new install), it will read version 00.00.00.00. Select the Fly Safe database update, if not connected you will get an error stating that ""Aircraft Connection Required". If you do have the AC and your connected to the internet, the program will automatically prompt you to update it. This holds true to all versions of DJI Go (DJI Go, DJI G0 4, and DJI Fly).

Hope this helps,

Happy and Safe Flying!

Inno

Reactions: Roachant
Hi Roachant,

Something to consider... I've never used DJI's geo zone site, so I can't speak to it. However, if I'm wrong my apologies. You stated you just ordered your mini 2. so I'm assuming you don't have it yet. If you are viewing a freshly installed DJI Fly app's features and looking at the map noting where you can fly, keep in mind it will not have the most current Fly Safe database on it until you update it. To do that it must be connected to the AC. If you go to settings in the Fly App, select about, you will note the version of the Fly Safe database (on a new install), it will read version 00.00.00.00. Select the Fly Safe database update, if not connected you will get an error stating that ""Aircraft Connection Required". If you do have the AC and your connected to the internet, the program will automatically prompt you to update it. This holds true to all versions of DJI Go (DJI Go, DJI G0 4, and DJI Fly).

Hope this helps,

Happy and Safe Flying!

Inno
Thanks! I guess I’ll have to wait until it arrives and see.

Thanks! I guess I’ll have to wait until it arrives and see.
Roachant, I instruct on drone courses and am a Flight Reviewer. Where DJI allows you to fly without unlocking versus where it is actually legal to fly is a bit of a mess.

I am several drones including a MM2 which is a great drone, particularly at the price point.

When instructing, I advise that anyone looking to go out in fly in an area in Canada that they have not checked out before have to check out two sites.

One is the NRC Drone Map which advises where you can legally fly drones 250 grams or more in Canada - here is the link to the site: Drone site selection tool - National Research Council Canada

The other is the map of where DJI will prevent you from flying without unlocking - here is the link to the site: Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

Unless you add accessories to the MM2, it will be under 250 grams, so it will be legal to fly anywhere in Canada as long as you fly it safely, and do not violate privacy laws, with the exception of National Parks and other locations where the taking off and landing of drones are prohibited.

For example, there is a non-commercial airport near Summerside, PEI, called Slemon Park, that used to be a CF air base. If you check the NRC site, you can legally fly over the airport, with a suggestion that you be mindful of aircraft traffic. However, DJI fences off the potential approaches to the airport for a significant distance in six directions, going well beyond what is legally required.

In contrast to that, there is a legal flight restriction around the nearby heliport at the Summerside hospital, but DJI does not fence off the hospital at all, so you can fly over it (illegally) should you chose to without unlocking.

It is unfortunate that the DJI no fly zones could not more accurately reflect where you can legally fly or not under the TC Regulations.

So my understanding of the above conversation is With a mavic mini I can fly in my backyard (within 3 miles of a airport) but every time I want to do so I have to get ahold of dji to get it unlocked for that flight. As there is no long term solution other than this, is that correct?

So my understanding of the above conversation is With a mavic mini I can fly in my backyard (within 3 miles of a airport) but every time I want to do so I have to get ahold of dji to get it unlocked for that flight. As there is no long term solution other than this, is that correct?

There are two ways to unlock via the DJI unlocking site.

You go this this website and login using your DJI account.

Here is a cut and paste of the instructions on how to unlock. I usually use the second, which allows you to unlock up to thirty zones for up to 3 days each. A bit of a nuisance to have to do every three days, but not that difficult or time consuming:

There are two ways to unlock Authorization Zones (blue):

1. Live Self-UnlockingWhen connected to the Internet, DJI APP allow you to unlock Authorization Zones on-site when you take off inside of or fly into one. Unlocking lasts for 24 hours and requires just a few taps on the screen.

Confirm authorization to flyVerify with phone Ready to fly

2. Scheduled Self-UnlockingUsers planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without an Internet connection can use the Online Flight Planner to schedule up to 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each unlocked zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service, and verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. When your request is approved, go to the Camera View, select General Settings, and select Unlocking List in the DJI App to confirm your flight license has been downloaded. Afterwards, you can fly in the Authorization Zone without a network connection.

Reactions: Frozen-tires
There are two ways to unlock via the DJI unlocking site.

You go to this website and login using your DJI account.

Here is a cut and paste of the instructions on how to unlock. I usually use the second, which allows you to unlock up to thirty zones for up to 3 days each. A bit of a nuisance to have to do every three days, but not that difficult or time consuming:

There are two ways to unlock Authorization Zones (blue):

1. Live Self-UnlockingWhen connected to the Internet, DJI APP allow you to unlock Authorization Zones on-site when you take off inside of or fly into one. Unlocking lasts for 24 hours and requires just a few taps on the screen.

Confirm authorization to flyVerify with phone Ready to fly

2. Scheduled Self-UnlockingUsers planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without an Internet connection can use the Online Flight Planner to schedule up to 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each unlocked zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service, and verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. When your request is approved, go to the Camera View, select General Settings, and select Unlocking List in the DJI App to confirm your flight license has been downloaded. Afterwards, you can fly in the Authorization Zone without a network connection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest