DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connect to additional HDMI monitor?

aquasun

Reactions
Anyone have any first hand experience/solution to connecting to an HDMI port on an external monitor in the field?

Without lag on the external field monitor?

I am unable to find any hardware only solution which I believe would be best.

I have come across on youtube a way of using airplay dongle with its own internal wifi network. Casting the screen of my Iphone running Fly app to the hdmi port output on the dongle which is connected to the external portable field monitor. (these monitors as normally used directly connected in the field to. DSLR camera.

I haven’t tried any of this but i have a great little HDMI portable monitor.

Anyone have any luck with this?

How will you be powering the dongle ?

Anyone have any first hand experience/solution to connecting to an HDMI port on an external monitor in the field?

Without lag on the external field monitor?

I am unable to find any hardware only solution which I believe would be best.

I have come across on youtube a way of using airplay dongle with its own internal wifi network. Casting the screen of my Iphone running Fly app to the hdmi port output on the dongle which is connected to the external portable field monitor. (these monitors as normally used directly connected in the field to. DSLR camera.

I haven’t tried any of this but i have a great little HDMI portable monitor.

Anyone have any luck with this?
Use Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Mirroring without Wifi using Apple TV 3rd Gen (Model A1469) or newer models. Tested with Gen3 with only a 0.28 second lag; newer models would have less or no lag at all. You can Google tutorials on this little known option. I recommend FeelWorld HDMI monitors with 2200nit screens. ??

Use Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Mirroring without Wifi using Apple TV 3rd Gen (Model A1469) or newer models. Tested with Gen3 with only a 0.28 second lag; newer models would have less or no lag at all. You can Google tutorials on this little known option. I recommend FeelWorld HDMI monitors with 2200nit screens. ??
thanks! yes ive been thinking of the basic 279 past month. i see the lut7 now with touch but it’s a bit heavier. not sure which.

are you mounting the monitor on a tripod or handhold the whole rig somehow?

How can I power the Apple TV in the field without carrying bulky power inverter as it appears it needs AC 110 volts?

How can I power the Apple TV in the field without carrying bulky power inverter as it appears it needs AC 110 volts?
Depending on what model ATV you have, if it’s the Gen3 Model A1469, there is a simple USB mod tutorial on YouTube that shows you how to replace the ATV’s power supply with a DC-DC Stepdown Converter, in this case 5v (from Power Bank USB output) down to 3.41v for your ATV.

There is no need to carry an Apple TV around. Just use software to turn any PC or Mac into an Airplay capable device. Just use your preferred laptop in the field and stream it to your iPhone/iPad - done.

Depending on what model ATV you have, if it’s the Gen3 Model A1469, there is a simple USB mod tutorial on YouTube that shows you how to replace the ATV’s power supply with a DC-DC Stepdown Converter, in this case 5v (from Power Bank USB output) down to 3.41v for your ATV.
amazing
There is no need to carry an Apple TV around. Just use software to turn any PC or Mac into an Airplay capable device. Just use your preferred laptop in the field and stream it to your iPhone/iPad - done.

it’s an external monitor only 2200nits and hdmi input. not sure if what you suggest will apply.

I would think that your latency would not be great. Also, OP will be running the DJI FLY app on his iPhone, which he wants to mirror via HDMI in the field.

I would think that your latency would not be great. Also, OP will be running the DJI FLY app on his iPhone, which he wants to mirror via HDMI in the field.
Depends on your Laptop - Latency is acceptable, and most newer laptop is able to connect to a HDMI screen.
Whatever your iPhone or iPad is displaying will be mirrored to the Laptop (if DJI Fly or GO, GO4, Pilot does not play any role)

1596574684281.png
Here a sample setup with an iPhone streaming to a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Airserver software.

Depends on your Laptop - Latency is acceptable, and most newer laptop is able to connect to a HDMI screen.
Whatever your iPhone or iPad is displaying will be mirrored to the Laptop (if DJI Fly or GO, GO4, Pilot does not play any role)

View attachment 109648
Here a sample setup with an iPhone streaming to a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Airserver software.
When you say “latency is acceptable” what is the actual lag? There are a lot of mirroring apps that we’ve tried over the years. We have an entire group of Epson Moverio FPV Drone smartglass users who are looking for a latency of 0.3 seconds or less. FYI latency from a normal configuration of iPhone 8 Plus w/DJI Controller using a Mavic 2 Pro is 0.18 seconds; with Moverio BT-300 glasses it’s 0.28 seconds. And it does matter what app you’re running (in this case FLY) since your iPhone will be doing all the processing for the app along with the AirServer app before the signal is sent wirelessly to your mirroring device.

Last edited:
Reactions: aquasun
When you say “latency is acceptable” what is the actual lag? There are a lot of mirroring apps that we’ve tried over the years. We have an entire group of Epson Moverio FPV Drone smartglass users who are looking for a latency of 0.3 seconds or less. FYI latency from a normal configuration of iPhone 8 Plus w/DJI Controller using a Mavic 2 Pro is 0.18 seconds; with Moverio BT-300 glasses it’s 0.28 seconds.
This is a totally different use case. My scenario is meant to be used in SAR missions in which the IC has an image of the pilot's screen at a distant location. This is not to be used as an FPV replacement as what you are describing.

This is a totally different use case. My scenario is meant to be used in SAR missions in which the IC has an image of the pilot's screen at a distant location. This is not to be used as an FPV replacement as what you are describing.
Hence I refer back to OP’s original question:

“ Connect to additional HDMI monitor?”

“......without lag on external field monitor”

Hence I refer back to OP’s original question:

“ Connect to additional HDMI monitor?”

“......without lag on external field monitor”
Any device capable of
- running DJI Fly
- have an HDMI output port
- and can mirror the Fly screen to the HDMI port
will work.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no such devices available as we speak.

Any device capable of
- running DJI Fly
- have an HDMI output port
- and can mirror the Fly screen to the HDMI port
will work.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no such devices available as we speak.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405