DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering buying the Mavic 2 Pro with the L1D-20c camera. Can anyone out there compare this to my full frame Canon 6D Full Frame 20mp.

Hitchy

Reactions
Drone will be used for taking pictures mostly. Just wondering how the pics will compare to my Canon. Any suggestions and/or options for a better camera, better drone? Thanks in advance.

I use 1- and 5-series FF Canon DSLRs, so not quite the same as the 6D, so take the following as you will:

IMO, the M2P's 1" sensor is *very* good for what it is, but it's no match for a decent FF sensor, and especially so once the light levels drop. You are also dealing with stability issues from the drone; again, it's very good for what it is, but images are always going to have a greater tendency to be on the soft side, and that needs more care in post. If you *have* to have the best image quality then I'd consider an Inspire or Matrice, as others have suggested, but then you are sacrificing portability which the M2P has in spades. It really depends on what matters more and how you intend to get it to your locations.

That said, I love my M2P and have found it to have really opened up my options for a given location. With the available tech right now, I'd go so far as to say that I think DJI found pretty much the perfect sweet spot of drone size vs. image quality. In ideal conditions (shooting raw with good ambient light, contrast within the DR range of the sensor, little to no wind) it can deliver results that are all but indistinguishable from a FF DSLR but, as with any camera, you need to understand the limitations and how to work with those when you don't have ideal conditions.

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark IV on the ground and went with the Mavic Pro 2 due to cost and portability. Shooting in RAW and processing in Lightroom I am happy with the results for still photos. Not as good as the 5D but close enough for me to compromise.20190519-DJI_0732.jpg20190601-DJI_0838.jpg

The full size files of these print just fine at 13 x 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitchy
On the ground I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, and for special occasions use a large format 8x10 camera. I got the M2P (my first drone) because the sky perspective is a wonderful complement to the ground-based imagery. As zocalo states above, the M2P is indeed a sweet spot for portability vs. image quality, but the resolution does not quite meet the FF Canon camera. The M2P can create large print quality images by using the panorama modes. I get the best large image results by acquiring panoramas manually and using bracketing (AEB) and post processing using HDR software (Photomatrix Pro) and stitching software (PT Gui).

Reactions: Hitchy
On the ground I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, and for special occasions use a large format 8x10 camera. I got the M2P (my first drone) because the sky perspective is a wonderful complement to the ground-based imagery. As zocalo states above, the M2P is indeed a sweet spot for portability vs. image quality, but the resolution does not quite meet the FF Canon camera. The M2P can create large print quality images by using the panorama modes. I get the best large image results by acquiring panoramas manually and using bracketing (AEB) and post processing using HDR software (Photomatrix Pro) and stitching software (PT Gui).
Thanks for your input!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11