DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Consquences of exceeding 250 Grams...

tbw

Reactions
Flew the other day and reached a max altitude of 196 feet with a distance of 150 feet directly in front of me. I was experiencing no issues whatsoever. However, no matter how much I searched, I could no see my Mini. So, I got to thinking about adding lights to my Mini. Along this same line of thought about adding to my Mini, I've been contemplating adding landing gear/extensions also. Another however. By adding several accessories to my Mini, it's weight will exceed 250 grams. I want to do the right thing and stay out of trouble. I assume by exceeding 250 grams, I will now have to register my Mini. Is that where Part 107 comes into play? If so, will I have to take any additional steps every time I fly?

Flew the other day and reached a max altitude of 196 feet with a distance of 150 feet directly in front of me. I was experiencing no issues whatsoever. However, no matter how much I searched, I could no see my Mini. So, I got to thinking about adding lights to my Mini. Along this same line of thought about adding to my Mini, I've been contemplating adding landing gear/extensions also. Another however. By adding several accessories to my Mini, it's weight will exceed 250 grams. I want to do the right thing and stay out of trouble. I assume by exceeding 250 grams, I will now have to register my Mini. Is that where Part 107 comes into play? If so, will I have to take any additional steps every time I fly?
You only need to register it with the FAA for recreational purposes. Part 107 is for those making money with it.

no you will need to register ,but 107 is for commercial pilots

Thank you old man mavic for your reply. If I understand correctly, every time I fly, even if it's on my own property and if it's only for a few minutes, I will have to register before I fly? With whom will I have to register with?

Thank you old man mavic for your reply. If I understand correctly, every time I fly, even if it's on my own property and if it's only for a few minutes, I will have to register before I fly? With whom will I have to register with?
not quite right my friend you register yourself with the FAA and receive a no thats linked to you you then put that number on any drones you own you use the same number on all of them if you are flying as a recreational pilot ,but if you are a commercial pilot each drone needs a seperate number i believe it costs $5 for 3 years make sure you use the official FAA site
hope this answers your question

"registering your drone" is poorly worded and confused me quite a bit in the beginning. You indeed register yourself for $5 and that's it. Then you put the FAA number on the drone and i also carry the registration slip in my wallet. My MM is stock but i still did it just to avoid any discussion should the occasion arise.I also don't think that anyone who may check you carries a scale to actually weigh our drone but so far i've not been checked.

re:FAA Hobby Registration -

• Start by going FAADroneZone
  • Select Log In (you'll create an account this first time)
  • Then come back and select "Register Drone under the Exception for Recreational Flyers"
  • Pay your $5 and write/print/apply your new Reg# on the aircraft and keep your registration card with your go bag.

The situation in the UK is similar for reference - you go to the CAA website and register yourself. Pass a ridiculously easy online test on the regulations, pay £9 then they email you an Operator ID. Put that on a sticker on your drones/planes/helicopters etc.

If you're a member of an approved club (eg BMFA, FPVUK) then you can do it through them instead, which saves you entering all your details again and the fee is just tacked onto your annual subscription.

You just have to register it with the FAA. You should be flying following all the same rules (don't fly in National Parks, restricted areas, within 5 miles of an airport, without getting LANC etc.) so the only thing you would need to do is pay $5 to the FAA and get a registration number (one number and you put it on all your drones if you have multiple). Then do the same things you are doing.

Last edited:
not quite right my friend you register yourself with the FAA and receive a no thats linked to you you then put that number on any drones you own you use the same number on all of them if you are flying as a recreational pilot ,but if you are a commercial pilot each drone needs a seperate number i believe it costs $5 for 3 years make sure you use the official FAA site
hope this answers your question
More versed on US requirements than many US folks. Kudos!

You just have to register it with the FAA. You should be flying following all the same rules (don't fly in National Parks, restricted areas, within 5 miles of an airport, without getting LANC etc.) so the only thing you would need to do is pay $5 to the FAA and get a registration number (one number and you put it on all your drones if you have multiple). Then do the same things you are doing.

Remember that the 5-mile requirement went away - that no longer applies and only the class of airspace matters.

By adding the additional weight of lights and landing gear extensions, the mini may go into "payload" mode, which (IMO) is not desireable.

I have extended legs for my mm, but never use them , I don't see the point unless you're landing on long grass, in which case I would take off and land by hand ! I do think leds are a good add on.

For requesting LAANC auth I use the Airmap app. (I tried Kittyhawk but could not get it to work) You need to request auth everytime you fly in restricted airspace. Its free to do and has always only taken me about a minute most to get approval. Its all automated provided the airport you are requesting it from has the system. If it does not and you still want to fly you need to request auth from the FAA site DroneZone. I recently did my first recreational request from them for a class D near a smaller airport that didn't have LAANC. It took them 3 days from the online request and I am now approved to fly the location for 1 year. This too is free.

Reactions: ff22 and rbw201412
Remember that the 5-mile requirement went away - that no longer applies and only the class of airspace matters.
I didn't know that. I live close to Dulles Airport and I always request LAANC before flights. Friday evening around 6 it wouldn't let me which was weird, but all other times its pretty much automatic.

I didn't know that. I live close to Dulles Airport and I always request LAANC before flights. Friday evening around 6 it wouldn't let me which was weird, but all other times its pretty much automatic.

At your location you are in Dulles Class B controlled airspace - you must be if you are using LAANC. The point is that it is only the airspace that matters - you can be within 5 miles of smaller airports and as long as it is Class G you are good to fly.

Reactions: kawasaki9r

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost