DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constable Patrolled Parks In Harris County

NTCooper

Reactions
The info operator for the Constable’s Office has stated by phone (though not posted in the parks themselves) that drone operation in such parks is prohibited. They consider a drone as just an RC aircraft that in their opinion must be flown in an RC designated sector of available parks. Pure Ignorance!

They stubbornly don’t accept that a photographic drone is just that and centric to taking photos and/or video. It is about the photography, not about the flying!

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

The info operator for the Constable’s Office has stated by phone (though not posted in the parks themselves) that drone operation in such parks is prohibited. They consider a drone as just an RC aircraft that in their opinion must be flown in an RC designated sector of available parks. Pure Ignorance!

They stubbornly don’t accept that a photographic drone is just that and centric to taking photos and/or video. It is about the photography, not about the flying!

But aren't you "flying" in order to get the photography? You're flying a Remote Controlled Vehicle it just happens to be you're flying it with a camera attached. Same difference.

It's a land-use case and if they govern/manage the land they can determine if you can or can't take off FROM their property. Notice they didn't say you couldn't Fly Over their land (which they can not legally control) which is a big difference.

It’s a misunderstanding of intent and resistance to something they don’t fully understand and are not comfortable in understanding. In fact when I called they suggested I join one of the local RC clubs and participate in their paid membership and structured gatherings. That was a laughable response.

Its kinda like me driving my child to school and as a result being a school bus operator. That’s the disparity of understanding.

You seem immediately defensive of their stance and Yes, I did ask about the fly-over tactic but they insisted that in the case of the non-fenced, outer circle of Maxwell Park, there was nowhere that I could launch unless it was an approved launch from surrounding private property (not compliant with line of sight due to trees).

Their perceived risk of personal injury, invasion of privacy or even annoyance to park visitors does not track with reality or common sense. People fear and avoid what they don’t understand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143