Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constructive criticism of the video and ideas for improvement

DiscoverSpain

Reactions
Site
discoverspainvideo.wordpress.com
I am working on the following video

Please, if you can give me constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement, I would appreciate it. I know that one of them is to clean the camera well before shooting, but unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it, and I don't see any way to correct it in editing. If someone knows how to do it, and has ever managed to do it, I would appreciate an explanation here.

I liked the video. I'm partial to Spain because I visited a few years ago. I worked in video production for a number of years so here are my humble suggestions:
-When I shoot/edit I try to focus on who is my audience and what is my story. It could be for me, my family, or general sharing.
-When I edit I try to continually ask myself 'why am I using this shot?' I may like the shot but does it help move my story along. Be ruthless.
-You set the scene nicely with wide shots of the village. I found myself thinking get closer...which you did
-I would have liked more shots in the village. You had some but it would have been nice to see more.
-Personally the 3-4 shots in a row of winding down the river could be pulled. I found myself thinking, 'lets get back to the town'.
-As mentioned above, some identifiers might be nice: name of town (as an opening title?), name of church and construction date, etc. I'd go w/ a few tasteful titles inserted as lower thirds given the mood you music sets.
Having said all this, I wishi I could shoot as well as you. I'm new to flying and enjoyed your obvious skills. Your use of wide establishing shots, mid-shots and close-ups were skillfully done. In short, nice video.
Thanks for sharing.

The subject matter was so beautiful and interesting that I didn't even notice if there were any areas for improvement. To my eye it is perfect, and very captivating. However, I would edit out the short scene of you controlling the drone, that was a distraction for me. Very, very well done!

This was beautifully done , but I do feel videos like these could use some commentary , to put some perspective on what were seeing. Other than that spain looks like a movie setting. I am a fan of the voice over .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Good suggestion, I have thought about adding voice-over but I think it would be going out of my register as I try to show beautiful places only with music, in the most cinematic way possible.

But there is another comment with a suggestion that I think is very good:

-As mentioned above, some identifiers might be nice: name of town (as an opening title?), name of church and construction date, etc. I'd go w/ a few tasteful titles inserted as lower thirds given the mood you music sets.

So I think I'll give it a try

Thank you for watch and comment!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
First of all, thank you for your good advice. Regarding your comments:

I liked the video. I'm partial to Spain because I visited a few years ago. I worked in video production for a number of years so here are my humble suggestions:
-When I shoot/edit I try to focus on who is my audience and what is my story. It could be for me, my family, or general sharing.

I have to admit that when I shoot, I don't have anything in mind, I just go with my camera ready to shoot any spot that catches my eye. I'm aware that I shouldn't do it that way, but I don't find any other way to do it: almost always, I'm getting to know the place at the same time as I'm shooting, which makes it very difficult to think about a story, which shots to take, or which ones not to take, ... Returno to the place is very complicated.

I end up with a gibberish of images and a song... So the only thing I can do is to get by, in the best possible way.

-When I edit I try to continually ask myself 'why am I using this shot?' I may like the shot but does it help move my story along. Be ruthless.

As said before: I don´t have a story on mind, only a lot of images

-You set the scene nicely with wide shots of the village. I found myself thinking get closer...which you did

Nice to know, thanks!

-I would have liked more shots in the village. You had some but it would have been nice to see more.
-Personally the 3-4 shots in a row of winding down the river could be pulled. I found myself thinking, 'lets get back to the town'.

I will check if I have more interesting shots of the village and eliminate the scenes you mention.

I'm going to see if I can get it right.

[SIZE]Having said all this, I wishi I could shoot as well as you. I'm new to flying and enjoyed your obvious skills. Your use of wide establishing shots, mid-shots and close-ups were skillfully done. In short, nice video.
Thanks for sharing. [/SIZE]

Again, thank you for taking the time to watch the video and write such good comments. I really appreciate it

The subject matter was so beautiful and interesting that I didn't even notice if there were any areas for improvement. To my eye it is perfect, and very captivating. However, I would edit out the short scene of you controlling the drone, that was a distraction for me. Very, very well done!

Which scene are you referring to? I don't remember appearing in any scene controlling the drone. At what minute, second of the video does it appear?

Thanks

I liked it myself, There were a lot of the same kind of shots so the only thing I would say is shorten it a little bit and keep the subject consistent as a story line. It's my own opinion but I'm not a fan of cutting back to a previous subject, then going somewhere else, then back to the other subject... I thought the footage and camera movement was really good. Excellent shots exposure and flying. The ground pans were very smooth as well. Well done!

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Very nice and well thought out overall. Music was a good choice and went well. One can always critique but all I found was just the fact that slight changes may have or not worked. Love the old buildings you shot. Thanks for sharing.

I liked it myself, There were a lot of the same kind of shots so the only thing I would say is shorten it a little bit and keep the subject consistent as a story line. It's my own opinion but I'm not a fan of cutting back to a previous subject, then going somewhere else, then back to the other subject... I thought the footage and camera movement was really good. Excellent shots exposure and flying. The ground pans were very smooth as well. Well done!

Regarding not changing the theme and shortening the video, it is difficult to get it right and I can receive very contradictory comments about it, as everyone has their own tastes. I think that whatever I do about it, it will never be to everyone's liking.

Anyway, I agree with you that maybe there are too many scenes from outside the village.

Thank you very much!

Reactions: Crash Gibby
Your video as-is, I find excellent.
Beyond that, I believe that there are documentary and film production companies that could use your work in their productions. I believe that you're poised on the verge of something great.

Very nice and well thought out overall. Music was a good choice and went well. One can always critique but all I found was just the fact that slight changes may have or not worked. Love the old buildings you shot. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, you are right, change is not always for the better.

Thank you very much for your comment!

Your video as-is, I find excellent.
Beyond that, I believe that there are documentary and film production companies that could use your work in their productions. I believe that you're poised on the verge of something great.

Thank you very much, God hear you, or whoever is up there, if anyone.

Thanks for your comment, you make my day!

At 2:05 there's a figure in white on the "castle wall" facing the drone. It looked like a human with it's arm up holding something. At 2:17 I see it's actually what looks like a knight, holding a lance. My bad.

At 2:05 there's a figure in white on the "castle wall" facing the drone. It looked like a human with it's arm up holding something. At 2:17 I see it's actually what looks like a knight, holding a lance. My bad.

That's either good eyesight, a giant screen or both.

Thanks for your reply!

I am working on the following video

Please, if you can give me constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement, I would appreciate it. I know that one of them is to clean the camera well before shooting, but unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it, and I don't see any way to correct it in editing. If someone knows how to do it, and has ever managed to do it, I would appreciate an explanation here.
Did you use premier pro for editing?

What a lovely place...and you did it proud!
You have invited constructive criticism, so ...noticed the time on the clock tower at 0:52 was 12:50 and then the next scene it was 12:25 - immediately transported me to the 'clock tower' scene in "Back to the Future".
I mention this because I don't have anything constructive to say that would improve your production...and I don't know what I am talking about anyway......just pulling your leg and enjoyed it immensely.
Thanks mate from Down Under

What a lovely place...and you did it proud!
You have invited constructive criticism, so ...noticed the time on the clock tower at 0:52 was 12:50 and then the next scene it was 12:25 - immediately transported me to the 'clock tower' scene in "Back to the Future".
I mention this because I don't have anything constructive to say that would improve your production...and I don't know what I am talking about anyway......just pulling your leg and enjoyed it immensely.
Thanks mate from Down Under

When I started reading, the first thing I thought was how can anyone pay attention to the time on a clock in a bell tower ..... I thought you were being serious!

Thanks for the joke and for watching the video!

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1