DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control from a small patch of clearing in a forest

lomposlapos

Reactions
Is it possible to control the aircraft from a small patch (approx. 20 m in diameter) of clearing surrounded by a dense, tall forest? GPS signal is strong. However, I would loose the sight of the aircraft shortly after takeoff so return is based on map, flying toward the home point or smart RTH. Basic question if trees/forest block the signal?

Tree's contain alot of water. That water is a huge barrier to the signal between the Mavic and the Remote Controller. Also, FAA requires VLOS so if you loose sight of the drone based on the forest cover you are also not flying in a safe manner.

You could fly straight up and reorient your antennas properly and then fly straight down. Keeping in mind the rules for the airspace you are flying within.

If you risk it things can go south quickly. If you want to fly in between the trees then you could fly slowly and trot along behind the drone while making sure not to allow a tree to come in between you and the drone.

Reactions: Gindra
Basic question if trees/forest block the signal?
Water blocks radio signals.
Trees are full of water.
A few leaves or branches don't make much difference, more branches and leaves do.
You might or might not lose signal depending hon how much vegetation is between your controller and the drone.

Let's assume a liftoff from forest clearing with perfect GPS and home point recording. Then flyover the canopy 2 km away. Signal becomes weaker, then lost. What happens? Will the drone RTH itself?

Yes. If you get the message that home point was recorded at take off then the Mavic will return to that spot upon signal loss. You will need to make sure your RTH height is set accordingly within the DJIGO4 app to be well above the tree's you speak of.

Is it possible to control the aircraft from a small patch (approx. 20 m in diameter) of clearing surrounded by a dense, tall forest? GPS signal is strong. However, I would loose the sight of the aircraft shortly after takeoff so return is based on map, flying toward the home point or smart RTH. Basic question if trees/forest block the signal?
I live in a heavily wooded area with about that much open space to take off from and yes the drone disappears pretty quick. I can go about 1/2 to 1 mile before weak signal. I usually fly LOS in populated areas but when I'm out in the sticks, I don't worry so much. Most I'll hit if I crash is a tree.

Reactions: Racin8de
The exact purpose of the forum.
If you happen to be so knowledgeable that you do not need to ask questions, feel free to answer:
Thank you!
OK - last things first. To answer your question, you can't keep your controller on a specific time zone. The software does not allow for it. That's that one solved.

Next, you are asking a plethora of VERY basic questions and starting new threads for them all. Nearly every one of your enquiries has been covered (sometimes on more than one occasion) and a simple search on the forum using the search field will yield the answers.
Whilst the community is here to help each other it becomes more than a little tiresome to constantly be answering the same questions over and over again because someone has not or can't be bothered to search for an answer.
Additionally, I think you will find double posting (as you have done on numerous occasions) is against the community rules and again only serves to anger people reading the same question posted by the same member in various sections.

Not meant to be a bashing - just an observation which a few people have noticed.

you can't keep your controller on a specific time zone. The software does not allow for it. That's that one solved.

not solved.

How the SC knows the location if it has no GPS, wifi? If it is designed that way, is there a trick or 3rd party app that can keep in GMT all the time?

not solved.

How the SC knows the location if it has no GPS, wifi? If it is designed that way, is there a trick or 3rd party app that can keep in GMT all the time?
This thread is now going Off Topic but we can stay with it for now....

So what have you tried to troubleshoot/solve your irksome problem?

Wow...! Nice language from The Editor.

Please see the question link what I tried.
That's from 21 minutes ago! - OK, so have you tried looking (and posting) in the correct section to see if anyone else is having your (or similar issue)?

Reactions: BD0G
the drone needs to get a nice clear signal from the controller. anything that has the potential to block or interrupt the signal is not good for your drone health

I live in a heavily wooded area with about that much open space to take off from and yes the drone disappears pretty quick. I can go about 1/2 to 1 mile before weak signal. I usually fly LOS in populated areas but when I'm out in the sticks, I don't worry so much. Most I'll hit if I crash is a tree.

"Most I'll hit if I crash is a tree."
Trees have rights to you know......well depending which State you live in.....anyhow, check you local and state laws regarding tree rights.....

"Just Joking with all my comrades" good morning everyone.... wonderful day to fly...

Reactions: DeeRose
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest