DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control from Inside House?

Won't be a problem but I'm just curious why you are needing to fly from inside a home? Please don't tell me to stay out of view of your neighbor while you are a Peeping Tom :rolleyes:

Just be aware your range will be reduced... If you want to get fancy I saw a guy who set up his van and got all cabled up with external antennae and flew from inside like a mobile military drone operator!

Reactions: ___ and AgentBB007
Won't be a problem but I'm just curious why you are needing to fly from inside a home? Please don't tell me to stay out of view of your neighbor while you are a Peeping Tom :rolleyes:
lol dont give me any good ideas! I'm wondering because it's going to get quite cold here in Utah soon and envision launching the drone from my drive way then going inside and flying from the warmth and comfort of my sofa looking out the window :)

Reactions: Advexure
Would it be safe to fly inside an apartment to take photos / make a movie?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes, it can be done safely. The Vision Positioning System of the Mavic greatly helps with keeping the Mavic in position indoors. I would not recommend flying indoors until you've got quite some time on the sticks outdoors. Its not the easiest of feats but it most definitely can be done. Safe and happy flying!

Reactions: lukasz74nj
I too am wondering about the ability of this drone to fly indoors. I'm kinda interested in large open internal industrial locations but with lots of pipes etc passing through. So there will be a lot of metal interference, no gps and ill prob be flying 30m off the floor. So I wonder if this will be a middle land where it will actually be difficult to fly.

I too am wondering about the ability of this drone to fly indoors. I'm kinda interested in large open internal industrial locations but with lots of pipes etc passing through. So there will be a lot of metal interference, no gps and ill prob be flying 30m off the floor. So I wonder if this will be a middle land where it will actually be difficult to fly.

You are correct that you'll be in the "middle land" but I wouldn't necessarily say it will be difficult to fly. You just aren't able to rely on GPS or VPS. With that being said, the Mavic will still maintain a pretty accurate hover. Again, wouldn't recommend doing that type of flying until you have some good flight time outside in an open area. You are going to need to be much more attentive. Without GPS or VPS the drone can easily walk off left or right.

VPS works when you are lower than about 6-8 feet. What it is doing is it is finding reference points visually on the ground and monitor the drone's movement relative to that reference point. Therefore, if you are flying over an industrial floor sometimes the VPS is not able to find reference points. Whereas, say with the a checkered floor or some sort of floor with patterns, the VPS is able to see these reference points a lot better.

Tahoe Ed, on flying indoors:

The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors. The position in the absence of GPS is determined based on the pattern of the surface under the craft via two downward sensing cameras. Note that if there is no identifiable pattern or the light level is too low the positioning will not work. That also holds true for the VSS system. If the LUX is too low the OA will be limited. I fly indoors often when we are in a flying cage or in a manufacturing facility. But would I ever take off in my living room, NO. I would not. That is the height of irresponsibility. It is like the user that wanted to fly his indoors in sport mode. If you want to do that kind of thing then buy a $29 toy. That is not the Mavic.

The Mavic is a sophisticated flying machine capable of many things, like Follow Me, Active Track, Point of Interest, and so many others. If you ignore the manual and the hints found in there you are wasting your $999. You will crash it before you ever discover all the features. Guess what, operator error is not covered by your warranty unless you buy our CARE coverage. We know what happens when you fly. There is a built in black box that records all the flight data, ALL THE FLIGHT DATA. It is the pilots responsibility to know their craft. It is not up to DJI to teach you that. We provide a manual, we are here to answer questions as are other experienced pilots. We make it as easy to fly as is possible. But if you don't know what you are doing, if you don't understand orientation, if you fly beyond line of sight, If you fly where you should not be flying, bad things can happen. I was a beginning pilot myself some years ago, I crashed a lot in the beginning. I had several mentors along the way. But I always saw it as my job to learn as much as I could about the sport. Remember RTF was not an option back then. We built our own.

I am not posting this to come down on new pilots, far from it. I want you all to fly successfully. You will, if you invest some time in learning how. If you think that learning how to fly is taking the Mavic out of the box and going out to fly and wing it I am sorry. We will be hearing from you here asking why did my Mavic crash. We will try to assist but who was the pilot?

(from: Mavic - 1st indoor crash)

Basically this was advertised to be flown indoors, (remember iJustine in the trampoline park?) but it is not recommended. Think of the car commercials with the disclaimer: "Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt". They just forgot the disclaimer.

95fff11f-5043-47b2-89da-1c28ad3f7755.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
I was flying around my neighborhood yesterday, on my first flights with the Mavic.

I noticed on the controller that the controller radio strength starting to flash. But the signal strength bars were still full (I thought). Has anyone experienced flashing? What does this mean?

I was flying in a way that the signal had to go through trees and my house when I saw the flashing. I don't recall if it was also flashing on the DJI App or just the controller.

For flying indoors ie an apartment or house id beputting the drone into tripod mode ....

Also DJI promoted this drone in this way so the advice abouve is now saying dont use this drone how DJI advertisd it ......

If these drones fail to perform to the level that DJI have advertised them i think they may get rather alot of customer complaints

Last edited:
Tahoe Ed, on flying indoors:

The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors. The position in the absence of GPS is determined based on the pattern of the surface under the craft via two downward sensing cameras. Note that if there is no identifiable pattern or the light level is too low the positioning will not work. That also holds true for the VSS system. If the LUX is too low the OA will be limited. I fly indoors often when we are in a flying cage or in a manufacturing facility. But would I ever take off in my living room, NO. I would not. That is the height of irresponsibility. It is like the user that wanted to fly his indoors in sport mode. If you want to do that kind of thing then buy a $29 toy. That is not the Mavic.

The Mavic is a sophisticated flying machine capable of many things, like Follow Me, Active Track, Point of Interest, and so many others. If you ignore the manual and the hints found in there you are wasting your $999. You will crash it before you ever discover all the features. Guess what, operator error is not covered by your warranty unless you buy our CARE coverage. We know what happens when you fly. There is a built in black box that records all the flight data, ALL THE FLIGHT DATA. It is the pilots responsibility to know their craft. It is not up to DJI to teach you that. We provide a manual, we are here to answer questions as are other experienced pilots. We make it as easy to fly as is possible. But if you don't know what you are doing, if you don't understand orientation, if you fly beyond line of sight, If you fly where you should not be flying, bad things can happen. I was a beginning pilot myself some years ago, I crashed a lot in the beginning. I had several mentors along the way. But I always saw it as my job to learn as much as I could about the sport. Remember RTF was not an option back then. We built our own.

I am not posting this to come down on new pilots, far from it. I want you all to fly successfully. You will, if you invest some time in learning how. If you think that learning how to fly is taking the Mavic out of the box and going out to fly and wing it I am sorry. We will be hearing from you here asking why did my Mavic crash. We will try to assist but who was the pilot?

(from: Mavic - 1st indoor crash)

Basically this was advertised to be flown indoors, (remember iJustine in the trampoline park?) but it is not recommended. Think of the car commercials with the disclaimer: "Professional driver, closed course. Do not attempt". They just forgot the disclaimer.

95fff11f-5043-47b2-89da-1c28ad3f7755.jpg

I believe the Gentleman (op) meant if he could fly the drone outside whilst being indoors with the controller ... I could be wrong but it appeared so in his comment..

Reactions: AgentBB007
I believe the Gentleman (op) meant if he could fly the drone outside whilst being indoors with the controller ... I could be wrong but it appeared so in his comment..
Thanks Dam, yes that is what I meant. I have no intention of trying to fly my Mavic inside :) I just want to launch it from my driveway and I have some nice large windows that overlook a big field and mountains that I can fly around while sitting in a comfy chair in my warm house.

Reactions: ___
Thanks Dam, yes that is what I meant. I have no intention of trying to fly my Mavic inside :) I just want to launch it from my driveway and I have some nice large windows that overlook a big field and mountains that I can fly around while sitting in a comfy chair in my warm house.

Might be doable ...

he wrote "
Published on Aug 23, 2011
I ran a long (150') A/V cable from my computer out to my ground station, so when I fly FPV I can run outside, set everything up, run back in the house, and take off flying use my computer to view the feed and record. :) I use a DL for R/C control which seems to work great from inside the house. I'm sure I'm loosing some range with it, but I don't intent to push it to it's limits anyway, so all's good! :) Now I just need some calm weather so I can have fun flying! I hate flying when the air is as rough as it was today..."

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentBB007
Be sure to read up on the advice around here on cold weather flying. Need to be mindful of Mavic and battery temperatures when flying below 32 degree F

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000