DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CONTROL PROBLEMS

gazweld

Reactions
Hi Everyone.
I am a newbie to this so be easy. lol
I have purchased a mavic mini and twice I have had to use the return to home facility
because I could not get it to come back to me. the back control was sending it sideways for
some reason and it was getting further away. At the time I was 170 metres away and 18m High
Any ideas please??

The drone's controls are relative to the drone and the way it's facing.
Keep it close where you can see it and get more practice.
Hya thanks for your reply
I could clearly see it. just thought that in an open field it should go
170m away with out it not wanting to return to me. Was wondering if it was in
need of a repair or is this normal.
in clear conditions with good line of sight how far would I expect the drone
to travel away from me??

Assuming you were aware of the drone's orientation when you experienced the issue, I would suggest you first check if the drone is responding to your inputs correctly. Since you have access to a clear field, with the drone facing forward, hover at around 5 m altitude about 5 m in front of you (this way you can clearly see the orientation). Then one at a time, give the command to ascend, descend, fly forward, fly backward, fly left then fly right. Next yaw left (doing an 360), then yaw right (doing a 360 again). If it doesn't respond as it should, try doing an rc calibration, if it still doesn't respond as it should then you may need to contact dji. Note that when doing an rc calibration, the drone should be turned off.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Assuming you were aware of the drone's orientation when you experienced the issue, I would suggest you first check if the drone is responding to your inputs correctly. Since you have access to a clear field, with the drone facing forward, hover at around 5 m altitude about 5 m in front of you (this way you can clearly see the orientation). Then one at a time, give the command to ascend, descend, fly forward, fly backward, fly left then fly right. Next yaw left (doing an 360), then yaw right (doing a 360 again). If it doesn't respond as it should, try doing an rc calibration, if it still doesn't respond as it should then you may need to contact dji. Note that when doing an rc calibration, the drone should be turned off.
Next yaw left (doing an 360), then yaw right (doing a 360 again).????

Next yaw left (doing an 360), then yaw right (doing a 360 again).????
.I have tried it in the garden and all the manouvers worked fine does it have to fly backwards to come back to me?? i.e camera facing away from me?
on a clear day with line of sight what distance would you expect to fly not altitude please

Sorry to clarify, Yaw left (doing 360) meaning push left stick (assuming your rc is set up as stick mode 2) to the left, drone should rotate left in place until it completes a 360° rotation (camera faces the same direction as when you started).
Doesn't have to fly backwards to come back to you, you can yaw 180° in any direction you want, then fly forward to bring it back to you.

does it have to fly backwards to come back to me?? i.e camera facing away from me?
No .. the drone can fly in any direction and in any orientation.
The app has an orientation indicator that helps you to see which way the drone is facing
on a clear day with line of sight what distance would you expect to fly not altitude please
The distance the drone can achieve depends on how much interference is in the local environment.
You can find realistic distance details for an interference-free area in the specifications for your model.

The distance you can go with the Mini varies a lot on what environment you're flying in. In an urban environment with lots of other noise on the radio channels used by the controller you may get 150 - 200m. In the countryside, and away from other radio interference you can get well beyond the point you can't see the drone any more - the specs claim 2000m. In the UK the law is such that you have to be able to clearly see your drone and what it is doing. For the mini that means a practical maximum distance of less than 500m for someone who has 20/20 or better vision. Most cars can hit 100mph or more. Doesn't make it safe, legal or right to do those kinds of speeds.

When you tell the drone to go "backwards" it'll fly away from whatever can be seen in the camera live feed and not necessarily back towards you. If you have the drone hovering in front of you with the camera pointing at you and you ask it to fly backwards it'll fly away from you. Likewise if it is hovering side-on to you it'll fly off to your side.

If you've got the drone out at 170m away from you to get it back to you you need to:
  • Understand what direction the drone is pointing. A look at what the camera is seeing, or check on the map (tap in the bottom left corner of your screen - tap again to make it full screen, and again to switch back to the camera live feed).
  • Understand what direction you need to fly to get back to you.
  • Fly in that direction until the drone is back near you.
Usually it is simplest to spin the drone around so that the camera is looking straight at you (or something big and obvious next to you if you want) and fly forwards towards that.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I usually go to YouTube for my info.

On the mini check out this one......

To simplify (I hope)
The standard controls are as if the drone is facing directly away from you.
If it is pointing away then forward input will make it go away from you.
If it is pointing towards you then forward input will make it fly towards you, left will now be right & right will be left.
As others have stated go somewhere open & fly close enough that you can see the direction your drone is pointing then you can see how the stick input changes the direction it fly depending on the way the camera is facing.

Hi gazweld Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Just realised you are completely new to drones so here is my usual New Flyer Advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH (Return To Home) to save you especially if you are under trees.
Don't forget to read the manual
Download Mini manual HERE
You want an SD card that is U3 for 4K
Most of all have FUN

Reactions: natgild

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member