DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller $10 prep to Save $a few hundred..USB Port Problems?

Reactions
I just had my MPP usb port on the controller break on of the contacts and at the worst time. I was supposed to take aerial photos at school function they already paid for, when I left in the morning I couldn't figure out why the OTG was working, reflashed it back to stock did like 10 others, I hate using wifi and after a careful inspection saw the problem with the port... now a new controller is 399 right? and customer service is not the best so shipping to china is out of the question too. also FCC scares vendors in lettting them perform work even on the controller.
I did find an awesome here but after I bought a MP2 to use while I sent back my old MPP which is awesome but that's another story... in his post HOW TO: Repair Mavic Pro remote controller Micro USB port here on the forums he shows how to replace it with a 20 part from ebay or amazon a little tech no how but I ordered it and should breeze through the install when it gets here in a few days.

Now to the prep part... this is a very common and well known issue with the controllers.. CMON DJI use TYPE C like the smart controller and everyone else. you dont have to worry about the taper areas.. this comes from trying to jam that thing in forgetting which way is up every flight and every charge.. of course now I will be more careful. but he mentions an awesome tool use magnetic cables basically the head stays in the controller and the cable connects via magnets so you never have to keep removing and inserting it. I ordered the one with the OTG adapter.. but just wanted to pass on some help hopefully you can stop it before it knocks u back several hundred and a lot of down time.

Reactions: Skywalker
Very old subject, see this very old post with other good ideas such as marking the port and plug with something to make the correct way up obvious. I used a silver marker pen prior to fitting a magnetic plug and cable. Old MacBooks used to have the same kind of power connection. It should be compulsory for all connections, even sound, video and hdmi IMHO. It would save a fortune in repairs.

I use magnetic cables and leave the plug part in the controller, it doesn't effect the use of the bottom USB port.
If DJI used a normal shaped port with the sloping sides on the controller you couldn't put the cable in the wrong way.
micro-usb-charging-port.jpg

Things like this always make me think manufacturers build things with easy user damage deliberately incorporated so they can make a profit on replacements.
I don't know of any other device that doesn't use a sloping port.

Reactions: hunterws
I like this idea. Just the other day I was brainstorming ideas on how to avoid plugging and unplugging the cable into the controller a million times and wearing it out or breaking it. Any pics of it in flight? Any problems?

Not sure why you think venders are scared to work on them but no matter . I'm like CYBORG
I have been using one of these NetDot 3 Pack Upgraded 1m/3.3ft Nylon Bradied USB2.0 Fast Charging Magnetic Micro USB Cable with LED Indicator Compatible with Android Device (3.3FT / 3 Pack Silver)
with it left in the charging port for almost a year now and love it. Only thing about these is that magnet is strong and if you unhook it by pulling the cord straight out it pulls the piece in the controller out .
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 7.13.47 AM.png
So I just pull the cord down at an angle if that makes sense and it disconnects easy.Hate you messed yours up and good luck on doing the repair .Thumbswayup

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Have been using magnetic fittings for 18 months without any problems. I leave the fitting in the remote for the AIR and the ZOOM remotes.
Use a similar setup on my mobile phone.

Last edited:
My USB-C port broke on my phone, causing a whole heap of problems.... USB-C is not perfect either ;)

Yes , but the socket is not. The only indication of which way up to put the plug in is the tang/tongue within the socket. The socket doesn’t even have the sloping sides and narrower top of a normal micro usb socket which prevents incorrect insertion. A simple mark with a contrasting colour can give that. Its easy to match a couple of (in my case silver) marks and avoid pushing the plug in wrong way up and damaging the delicate socket.
But, the magnetic connector is, and has been for ages, the way to go.

From my experience, the magnetic connector is much too fragile in a working environment. Just barely touching the cable while in flight can cause it to disconnect from the remote.

From my experience, the magnetic connector is much too fragile in a working environment. Just barely touching the cable while in flight can cause it to disconnect from the remote.
Looks like it’s a case of it depends on the manufacturer, the ones I use have a pretty strong magnet, strong enough to pull the whole connector out of the port without coming apart, I sort of snap it off rather than pull it.
I have no idea of the manufacturer but I got lucky.

Reactions: bentbrent
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent